Question for the long range precision guys

DuckDogDr

WKR
Trying piece some of the info I’ve been absorbing together .

I’ve been using the leupold impact reticle and nightforce MOAR reticles.
I prefer to use the hash marks vs dial.. but I have had one person tell me the MOA marks aren’t accurate unless scope is on high power?

Is this true? Yesterday I stretched out to 500 yards target practicing .. holding at 2 MOA (what chart said I needed) on low power vs high .. I was on the money .. so I did I get lucky or was my buddy mistaken?

First focal plane scopes maintain the correct spacing on all powers, second focal plane is only correct on a designated power (usually the highest). If your reticle gets smaller as you go to a lower power then you have a first focal plane scope and it will be correct at all distances.

So technically speaking your buddy could have been correct if your scope was a second focal plane. Most higher end scopes will be first focal plane.

FFP versus SFP.

Benefits to both I guess, just depends on how you want to shoot. First Focal Plane the reticle will change in appearance as you magnify, but any marks will remain a constant distance.

A second focal plane it stays same size, but you can set a scope on a certain magnification and use hold marks.

If it is accurate at max magnification, is half accurate but at a different scale?

For example a Sfp scope is accurate at 20x. 2 hashes to the right =2moa

At 10x is 2 hashes for the right =4moa??

If it is accurate at max magnification, is half accurate but at a different scale?

Yes, that should be correct.

Correct. As an example, if you go look at the NX8 4-32 sfp you'll see they have both 32x and 16x marked on the reticle and their corresponding moa.

Back