Question for Elk grilling experts

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Was wondering if you long time Elk Chefs could offer me some insight to this question. I've been grilling several pieces of Backstrap lately and they have tasted awesome. My question, what advice can you offer in pre-tenderizing this specific cut of meat? I'm not looking for crockpot advice, as I am not a fan of boiling meat. I'm guessing some type of marinade, but what type and more importantly, how long? I know I'll get some nice feedback on this one. Is beating the meat like Veal, an option? :) :)

I don't personally ever grill backstrap. I sear them in a cast iron skillet and butter baste them with garlic after the turn. I haven't found them to be tough but I guess they could be depending on animal.

Dont publicly beat ur meat….

I’ve like to marinade them personally my choice of spices, little whiskey, beer or apple cider vinegar is great for tenderizing. I’ve used Italian dressing for moisture to, ziplock or vacuum seal, 12-24 hours on the fridge. Only reason I like using a wet marinade is just to help keep it moist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll second sous vide.

Thought it was weird at first but everything I’ve cooked with it- deer, elk, beef, fajitas, chicken, even a brisket was fantastic.

And yes, I’m from Texas where anything but smoked brisket is blasphemy.

I’ve just never had the patience or inclination to get a smoker, Big Egg, Trager, etc.

Take a chunk of back strap. I like them 6" to 8" long...I add some grass fed butter, garlic, and pepper into the bag, sous vide to 110...get ur grill ripping hot...slice steak size portions out of your chunk and finish on the grill to desired temp...I let most wild game go in sous vide for at least 4-6hrs..

Was wondering if you long time Elk Chefs could offer me some insight to this question. I've been grilling several pieces of Backstrap lately and they have tasted awesome. My question, what advice can you offer in pre-tenderizing this specific cut of meat? I'm not looking for crockpot advice, as I am not a fan of boiling meat. I'm guessing some type of marinade, but what type and more importantly, how long? I know I'll get some nice feedback on this one. Is beating the meat like Veal, an option? :) :)
backstrap is already a really tender cut. I typically cut into 10-15 in long pieces and marinade in soy, Worcestershire, and your favorite seasonings. Grill or pan fry. add honey to the meat when halfway done. then cut thin and enjoy.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
Two things:
1) Thaw them 3-5 days ahead of time and lightly salt and let them sit in the fridge on a plate with plastic wrap or a tupperware of some sort. It's kind of like aging, but it helps tremendously.

2). Reverse sear technique -Season. Let meat sit until its up to room temp. Put on wire rack in preheated 400 degree oven until it hits 120-125. Remove and sear both sides quickly on a hot cast iron or grill.

madcalfe

WKR
this is what i generally use for marinades
bbq sauce of your choice
soy sauce
scoop of brown sugar
diced garlic
whatever spices you want
and a can of coke or gingerale.

Coke will make a shitty cut of meat pretty tender after sitting for a night!

Bl704

WKR
For backstrap I cook larger pieces (maybe 1/3 or 1/4) of the full backstrap. I'll cook it MR...let it rest for about 10 minutes before carving/portioning...I never really had a tenderness issue with backstrap. As someone said sous vide or low and slow bake with a reverse sear another option.

I have had a tenderness issue with that flat front shoulder muscle...a lot of people grind this cut, but I'll use a Jaccard (Google it) on it, marinate and treat it like a London broil...works really well so long as you trim it, don't over cook, and slice cross grain.

cnelk

WKR
I just do a dry rub, cover with Saran Wrap and set on counter until it gets to room temp.

Have grill at 400 degrees and sear for maybe 7-8 and turn. Then another 7-8 mins

Remove and tent with alum foil for 10 mins

Slice and serve (it will be rare)

Pure delicacy

Scoot

WKR
I've been lightly smoking mine on my Traeger, then bringing to temp. 180-200 for 45 minutes, then crank it up to bring to medium-rare. I put on a dry rub of salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and a couple other spices I can't think of right now. I LOVE it and so do my kids.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I like to grill in like 6" to 8" long pieces and once its rested i like to cut it 3/4" pieces for plating. It make plating more fancy and you always eat with your eyes first.

WCB

WKR
On good meat I hate marinades to me it is like ketchup...Only thing I do is thaw then coat with Lemon or Lime Juice...let sit for a couple hours or over night. When getting ready to cook pat dry and let get to room temp. Then season with salt and pepper. Sear. then finish with butter, garlic, rosemary, a bit more salt and pepper.

I also sometimes finish on the smoker after searing... brushing with the garlic, butter and rosemary mix

I’ll second sous vide.

Thought it was weird at first but everything I’ve cooked with it- deer, elk, beef, fajitas, chicken, even a brisket was fantastic.

And yes, I’m from Texas where anything but smoked brisket is blasphemy.

I’ve just never had the patience or inclination to get a smoker, Big Egg, Trager, etc.

I'll agree with that

Tod osier

WKR

I've used all the options suggested above and I'll third or fourth sous vide. Better quality product in every way, just the ultimate control on doneness and tenderness. The only downside is that it requires virtually no art or science to it (= you get no manly points for it if anyone knows how you cooked it), you just sous vide with salt (a lot) and seasonings and then briefly slap in a pan or on the grill for a sear.

Just an awesome technique that creates perfection.