Question for Elk grilling experts

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I do for deer backstraps:

1. Heavily salt overnight in fridge.
2. Rinse and pat dry 30 min before cooking
3. Butterfly
4. Season with salt and pepper
5. Sear in piping hot cast iron skillet for 3 min each side basting with butter and garlic

If you have a smoker, I like to smoke for an hour @180 before searing to give a little more flavor.

I've used all the options suggested above and I'll third or fourth sous vide. Better quality product in every way, just the ultimate control on doneness and tenderness. The only downside is that it requires virtually no art or science to it (= you get no manly points for it if anyone knows how you cooked it), you just sous vide with salt (a lot) and seasonings and then briefly slap in a pan or on the grill for a sear.

Just an awesome technique that creates perfection.
I suppose you could get some points back if you seared them with a torch!

fishslap

WKR
I never do anything intentional to tenderize backstrap and we grill it all. I do think time in the freezer helps and I rarely go into a season with an empty freezer so my kills get a little freezer time. I also trim my meat meticulously so there is no silver skin on it. I thaw in cold water the day of cooking (we use vac bags).
For cooking, I put it in a ziplock bag with 2 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs red wine vinegar, then 2 tsp of rub or spices (we do like Montreal). This is for 1b or so of meat. Get all the air out and leave on the counter for 30 min. I like it at room temp when I put it on the grill. Grill on high 4-8 min per side depending on thickness and size. As already mentioned, tent with foil for a short time before slicing. Here’s an eye of round:
795DB3CE-99FD-4052-BD78-D7EE17792803.jpeg

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I cut my steaks 1-1/4" when I butcher.

I pull them from the freezer, heavily "salt" them with Montreal or similar....then they sit in the fridge for a day or 3. Pull them and let warm to room temp. I use a cast iron skillet smoking hot with bacon grease. Toss em on till the gray makes it 1/8" or so and flip.....cover, check in 2 or 3 minutes. Press with a fork to check doneness. I strive for rare/medium rare.

Let rest for a couple minutes....serve and enjoy.

I have been using the same technique for elk, deer, beef tri tips etc for awhile now. I season with whatever I’m using at the time usually at least an hour or so ahead of time and then smoke on the traeger low usually about 245 until it reaches about 80-90 degrees internal temp then throw on the already medium high Weber for a couple minutes each side until 125 degrees internal temperature and then wrap in foil for 10-15 minutes while you’re finishing up side dishes or whatever. Turns out perfectly tender and medium rare. The same technique could be used without using two grills but mine are right next to each other and I like the way it works. I have done the hot and fast technique with success but it goes from perfect to crap very quickly. I highly recommend the thermapen. I have the mk4 which I believe is now called the one. Crazy sensitive and accurate. You can read the temp changing as you press it further into the meat which allows you to find the true lowest temp. I compared results side by side with a few different meat thermometers I had and the results were not even close.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Olive oil and blacked Saskatchewan rub. Set a treager to 225 degrees and put on til internal temp of 120. Get a cast iron skillet smoking hot and 90 seconds on both sides. Done. So good I haven't done it any other way on last year's bulls backstraps.

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Cut and wrap in roasts not steaks

1. Thaw in fridge
2. Generously season all over
3. Get to room temperature
4, Sear evenly on HOT cook surface without over cooking
5. Let rest for as long as you can without letting in cool too much
6. Slice thin

It’ll never get as tender as beef but it’s not supposed to be 🙂

HbDane

WKR
Generous bit of Montreal steak seasoning air dry in fridge overnight. Bring to room temp hang it in the Pit Barrel Cooker until IT hits 120. Let set, reverse sear and serve

Marble

WKR
I haven't done the sous vide yet with my elk.

I like the flavor of the meat and rarely put anything but salt and pepper on it. Salt also will tenderize meat. I keep my back strap in large hunts when I freeze them. I then get them ready to cook and salt them. Sometimes I put my dry rub I make on them. Ill put them on a dish, covered, for 7 to 10 days in my fridge. This ages the meat and makes it even more tender. I cook the chunk whole on my treager and oull it off rare.

I have also punted it flat, breaded and fried it.

Or hot fried the meat in an iron skillet.

Just do not over cook it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Holy Sheet Gentlemen, what a bunch of awesome options. Now my head will be spinning on which one to try first. One answer I have, the Elk was shot on the morning of the second day. It was quartered and hung in a game cooler within 6 hours. Maybe could have hung it outside overnight, but it was kinda warm and my guide said we should get it to the game cooler. Thanks again for some great ideas!

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Not all the time, but carpaccio is fantastic

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Not cooking it past medium rare is probably the best thing that I have found. Wild game just doesn't have as much intermuscular as beef and tends to be tougher and dry when over cooked. If you have to cook it medium well then sous vide with butter is a really good option.

Fmarji

FNG
I have a lot of luck with vacuum sealing a cut of meat (you could do this with a marinade or remove from freezer) and let it “wet age” in the fridge. Giving it some time to naturally break down without exposing it to air. It naturally gets tender from the enzymes working their magic. The longer the better, you can leave it in the fridge for a few weeks as long as the temp is low enough and constant. Works well with beef and other steaks as well.

Man some of yall do some weird things to cook your meat. :)

I just let them warm to room temp with some good salty seasoning and grill over mesquite coals to rare or med-rare. Never had straps of any animal not turn out great that way.

Was wondering if you long time Elk Chefs could offer me some insight to this question. I've been grilling several pieces of Backstrap lately and they have tasted awesome. My question, what advice can you offer in pre-tenderizing this specific cut of meat? I'm not looking for crockpot advice, as I am not a fan of boiling meat. I'm guessing some type of marinade, but what type and more importantly, how long? I know I'll get some nice feedback on this one. Is beating the meat like Veal, an option? :) :)
McCormick Unseasoned Meat Tenderizer, 3.37 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0005XMQRW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_Y0C3Z45N0PFNE2HZKK0C

I've used meat tenderizer powder like this on tough cuts like round steak in the past with decent results. Bromelain is from pineapple. Other versions use papain, which comes from papaya. Both usually contain salt, so careful with adding more when you season.