Question about Colorado draw

cnelk

WKR
For the same money spent either way wouldn’t a guy rather have a .3 percent chance at a killer tag than just getting a preference point. I’m not trying to argue with you by any means you know 10x more about that state than I ever will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Colorado doesnt have a 'random' drawing for elk.

[Well, they kinda do. If you have 5 or more PPs, you can enter the Hybrid Draw]

If a guy has 1 PP - he has absolutely ZERO chance at drawing a tag that takes anything more than 2 PPs - on any choice.

Thats where the Draw Stats are a big help.

cgasner1

WKR
Makes more sense then I know like Utah you can do points only but it’s the same cost to apply the odds are so step may as well apply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All these different point systems really bite. The point system sure sucks of you are a older hunter that is just entering the Westerns Hunting opportunities. I'll probably be long dead before I can draw any top units.

kpbrown31

FNG
If you apply for a draw unit on both your first choice and second choice, but are unsuccessful in drawing...do you still automatically get a preference point?

sndmn11

WKR
If you apply for a draw unit on both your first choice and second choice, but are unsuccessful in drawing...do you still automatically get a preference point?
Yes, the second choice is irrelevant. Not drawing your first choice results in a preference point, with the exception of when your first choice is an actual preference point code.

kpbrown31

FNG
Yes, the second choice is irrelevant. Not drawing your first choice results in a preference point, with the exception of when your first choice is an actual preference point code.
Thanks! The catalog was confusing me when it said the secondary draw does not gain or use preference points, but I guess the secondary draw and "second choice" are not the same thing.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks! The catalog was confusing me when it said the secondary draw does not gain or use preference points, but I guess the secondary draw and "second choice" are not the same thing.
They are not. The primary draw is choices 1-4 per species and has an April deadline.

The secondary draw is in June and is for hunt codes that are still available. It has youth preference for drawing.

Let's say unit 60. public & private land. Last year I drew private with 0 points. If I had points, would I have lost them all because I drew an easy unit ?

Jethro

WKR
Let's say unit 60. public & private land. Last year I drew private with 0 points. If I had points, would I have lost them all because I drew an easy unit ?
If the unit 60 private tag was your 1st choice and you drew, then yes you would have lost all your points.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
No. Colorado doesnt have a 'random' drawing for elk.

[Well, they kinda do. If you have 5 or more PPs, you can enter the Hybrid Draw]

If a guy has 1 PP - he has absolutely ZERO chance at drawing a tag that takes anything more than 2 PPs - on any choice.

Thats where the Draw Stats are a big help.
For the 5 point kind of random tag. Is that for residents only?