QAD Exodus tuning issues

Or.hunter

WKR
Hey guys,
I have shot muzzy for close to 25 years. I have shot the trocar since it was introduced and had very good luck both elk and deer. This year I decided to change it up a bit and shoot the qad exodus but I am having tuning issues. I’ve tried all things from nock tuning. Trying multiple of my arrows but they shoot consistently low 2-3” from 20-60. My Trocars and field points are both spot on. I have a hard time moving my rest just because I don’t want to change the point of impact with my field points? Any advice? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
Moving you're rest isn't a big deal as long as it's within 1/16" or so. I'd bump it up a few clicks and see what it does, it doesn't take much. You'll have to adjust your sight.

I suspect you are shooting the full blade, not the swept. They just aren't as forgiving.

If you are off, your bow isn't quite tuned, close, but not all the way there. It's just a simple rest or loop adjustment.

Once you adjust the rest you can probably move your hole sight housing and be on again.

Riplip

WKR
Not sure what Vanes you are using, but my Exodus' did not fly well with AAE Hybrids. Once I went back to Blazers, no issues.

SloppyJ

WKR
That's odd to me because the swept exodus have consistently been the easiest to tune for me out of all fixed blades I've tried.

OP
Or.hunter

Or.hunter

WKR
I suspect you are shooting the full blade, not the swept. They just aren't as forgiving.

If you are off, your bow isn't quite tuned, close, but not all the way there. It's just a simple rest or loop adjustment.

Once you adjust the rest you can probably move your hole sight housing and be on again.

You are correct, in Oregon swept blades are considered barbed. I am headed to my local archery shop today to check the tuning on my bow itself and shoot through paper. I’m guessing we will be bumping the rest. I just find it weird that the others aren’t off.

OP
Or.hunter

Or.hunter

WKR
If these statements are true, why are you changing heads?

I ask myself that now. But now that I know these shoot different I have to get to the bottom of it. Obviously something is a little off.

MattB

WKR
The trocars fly really well but I my limited experience their blade quality and edge retention are poor. I only used them on one moose and will not use them again. Killed the moose, but it needed a finishing arrow ~45 minutes after the first shot. The blades were largely dull to the touch after the hit.

You are correct, in Oregon swept blades are considered barbed. I am headed to my local archery shop today to check the tuning on my bow itself and shoot through paper. I’m guessing we will be bumping the rest. I just find it weird that the others aren’t off.

Think of things as degrees of forgiveness.

A field point is extremely forgiving, has nothing catching air. Smaller vanes on the back are less forgiving, bigger surface area on the front with bigger broadheads are less forgiving.

Easy way to tune without burning up broadhead targets is to shoot bareshafts, field point tipped arrows with no fletching, and fletched field shafts. Compare impact points between and make adjustments to bring the impact points together. Paper tuning is a rough starting point.

I find the Swept Exodus to be a very forgiving head, while the full is pretty unforgiving.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Paper is just a good starting point what bow are you shooting poundage arrow length arrow spine etc.. If you don’t wanna move your rest you may be able to move your cams or your nocking point. depending on your bow you can add or take twists away from the yokes. Do that to get you as close as possible or even where you want it but my guess is you will still have a click or so in your rest to get it perfect. Years back i shot the qad both versions and had no issues getting them to hit with with FP's good luck…

fatlander

WKR
The full blade exodus commands perfect tune and shot execution. It’s a wonderful head, but you are your equipment have to be wonderful too. I’ve got a medley of swept and full exodus heads, and the swept is much more forgiving. I enjoy shooting the full exodus in practice out to 80 yards, really forces me to be my best.

The full exodus catches a bit more air than the swept. It falls off quicker beyond 70 yards from drag.

OP
Or.hunter

Or.hunter

WKR
Well, went to the Bow Rack, bow was in tune. I don’t have a micro adjust rest but we loosened it and slid it up maybe a 32nd of an inch. Didn’t take much. Now the exodus is shooting same point of impact as FP’s at 20/30 and 40. I appreciate all the help guys. Good luck this September! Hope everyone has that 20 and under screaming bull.

Sbarrera185

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I wanted to run these same ones and had the same issue. Practice arrows were spot on but once we used the broadheads they were low. Archery shop tech took over and shot my bow practice arrows spot on and broadheads low. We moved rest, peep sight, pins and they still kept shooting low. We put everything back to the way it was and I went with Mechanical broadheads. To this day idk why it kept shooting low but I would really like to shoot the QAD Exodus heard great things but if the shooting is this inconsistent I might just move on from them

MattB

WKR
Well, went to the Bow Rack, bow was in tune. I don’t have a micro adjust rest but we loosened it and slid it up maybe a 32nd of an inch. Didn’t take much. Now the exodus is shooting same point of impact as FP’s at 20/30 and 40. I appreciate all the help guys. Good luck this September! Hope everyone has that 20 and under screaming bull.

?