Q&A Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42mm FFP TMR

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Updated with 2 more scopes put through the Drop Eval. Consistently inconsistent is the clearest way to take it. Definitely not holding zero without issue. 18” drops no issue. Mostly single 36” drops without issue. The 9x36” drops shifts anywhere from .3 to .5 mils.

IMG_0598.jpeg

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Well, glad I was not able to find an illuminated version in stock as I have been trying to buy one. Back to waiting on Maven to get more Mil RS1.2s (instead of making MOA scopes with a different reticle).

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus can you try and do you think it will make a difference if you use mark 4 rings and torque to there spec of 28inlb?

I might try them, but I have tried NF UL’s, Warne Mountain Techs, and Hawkins. Also, Leupold’s new Mark 4 rings aren’t good.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Assuming you never drop your rifle, is this scope staying on and tracking correctly back n forth consistently? Pass the riding in the truck test?

Scope number #1 has been holding zero so far. But it’s only a week or so in and 100 rounds.

I’ll likely be hunting with one this year, I’ll do a couple zero checks pre hunt and post hunt and see if there’s a shift. The rifle it’s going on (I’ve only shot one 11 shot group with it and everything else has been at distance) is very accurate by my standards held 3/4 for that one 11 shot group so it’ll be pretty easy to see a shift of any magnitude. If it doesn’t hold I’ll just sell it and buy a nightforce.

My BIL can get me this scope at a pretty good discount. I like everything about it except of course that it’s a leupold. If they can track correctly and pass everything but 36” drops I’d be fine with that. Every time I’ve ever taken a spill in the mountains I’ve protected my rifle like a new born baby. Dropping is not something I’ve ever done in the field. Losing zero in the truck and not tracking back and forth correctly is a no go for me.

atmat

WKR
My BIL can get me this scope at a pretty good discount. I like everything about it except of course that it’s a leupold. If they can track correctly and pass everything but 36” drops I’d be fine with that. Every time I’ve ever taken a spill in the mountains I’ve protected my rifle like a new born baby. Dropping is not something I’ve ever done in the field. Losing zero in the truck and not tracking back and forth correctly is a no go for me.
Historically, I think Form has said that the former (36” drops) and the latter (holding zero and tracking) seem to go hand-in-hand.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

The two correlate.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
if it were not for that correlation, I could take or leave the drop testing portion.

As it is... I cannot stand wandering zeros

Axlrod

WKR
Not really.
I was at the annual sale at Shedhorn in Ennis this weekend. A rep for Nightforce was there, and said they were discontinuing the NXS line at the end of this year. When asked if there was a replacement coming, he said probably but it would likely not be announced until SHOT.

I told him something half the weight of an ATACR with a reticle for hunting would be a good start. I have very little confidence they will come out with anything for hunters.