Q&A for Minox ZP5 5-25x56mm THLR scope

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
That question must be directed to Gunwerks.

I have given my opinion and explained what I consider the important details in a MIL version to be, but I do not participate in the decision process.

Gunwerks is an "intelligent" company, but one must remember that they finance their own growth (as opposed to using investors) which also limits how fast it is possible to expand.

Dobermann

WKR
Woop woop!

Finally scored a ZP5 with a THLR reticle from a dealer who was closing out old stock ... so got it for one third of the usual price!

@Formidilosus - what rings would you recommend for this?

It's going on a T3x Superlite/Elite (fluted) 6.5 Creed in a Bravo stock.

Currently wears an LRTS in a Raptor mount for the combination of weight reduction, but reduced possibility of torque from separate rings.

Raptors don't go to 34 mm, and I don't think Sportsmatch do either.

Would you go separate rings, or a monomount? Does the heavier scope mean torque from separate rings is more or less of an issue?

And I know you've often advocated for rings directly to the action; does this change with the ring / mount options available for 34 mm tubes in your estimation?

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Woop woop!

Finally scored a ZP5 with a THLR reticle from a dealer who was closing out old stock ... so got it for one third of the usual price!

@Formidilosus - what rings would you recommend for this?

It's going on a T3x Superlite/Elite (fluted) 6.5 Creed in a Bravo stock.

Currently wears an LRTS in a Raptor mount for the combination of weight reduction, but reduced possibility of torque from separate rings.

Raptors don't go to 34 mm, and I don't think Sportsmatch do either.

Would you go separate rings, or a monomount? Does the heavier scope mean torque from separate rings is more or less of an issue?

And I know you've often advocated for rings directly to the action; does this change with the ring / mount options available for 34 mm tubes in your estimation?

Due to the available mounts, I use the factory pic mount, degreased and loctited, and including loctiting the rail itself as the factory does. Then pic rings that you like- I generally use NF Ultra Lights and Warne Mountain Techs.

Dobermann

WKR
Due to the available mounts, I use the factory pic mount, degreased and loctited, and including loctiting the rail itself as the factory does. Then pic rings that you like- I generally use NF Ultra Lights and Warne Mountain Techs.
Thanks Form,

If going the NF Ultra Lights, and wanting a relatively high mount to use with the Bravo (as it has a high cheek piece), and I prefer a more upright head position / am following the field shooting approach of not trying to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible, what height would suit the ZP5 - the 1.375" or 1.5"?

And for comparison's sake, which height are on the rifle in the eval thread?

Oh, and four-screw or six-screw?

Apologies again for leaning on you for this level of detail, Form - stuff here in NZ can be hard to come by and/or take months to order in, and is often double the US dollar cost ... it's not as easy as just dropping into a local store! :)

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks Form,

If going the NF Ultra Lights, and wanting a relatively high mount to use with the Bravo (as it has a high cheek piece), and I prefer a more upright head position / am following the field shooting approach of not trying to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible, what height would suit the ZP5 - the 1.375" or 1.5"?

And for comparison's sake, which height are on the rifle in the eval thread?

Oh, and four-screw or six-screw?

I’m using 1.00 height and 4 screw. That creates about .4” clearance between the T3 lite barrel and the bottom of the objective.

Dobermann

WKR
Thanks Form.

And just to revisit the 'use-case' aspect of this scope ... do you see any value of placing it on a stock 223 T3X?

Do you personally see any tangible advantages of the ZP5 on that platform over, say the SWFA 3-9?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks Form.

And just to revisit the 'use-case' aspect of this scope ... do you see any value of placing it on a stock 223 T3X?

Do you personally see any tangible advantages of the ZP5 on that platform over, say the SWFA 3-9?

No, not really. It is an excellent reticle really made for medium range shooting (300-600y), that is totally usable at close range and at long range. The reticle doesn’t really offset the size, weight, and cost on that rifle and it’s use. There’s nothing wrong with it for that, but it’s hard to justify.

P.S. Let me know if there are any more deals on them…

Dobermann

WKR
Hi Form, any reason to not go with the Spuhr Hunting Series rings, which have a direct-mount option for T3 rails (https://spuhrwebshop.com/en/hunting/sakotikka/34/sct-4006a.html)?

Best I can make out, these are about 40 grams lighter than NF Ultralites plus a Mountain Tactical rail, and about $200 cheaper all up (in local dollars) ...

Is there any functional issue with the split in the rings being diagonal? I seem to recall Ilya saying he didn't like it (but possibly on the heavier-duty version) - I seem to recall he said something about the diagonal split causing issues, but I'm not sure what.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Is there any functional issue with the split in the rings being diagonal? I seem to recall Ilya saying he didn't like it (but possibly on the heavier-duty version) - I seem to recall he said something about the diagonal split causing issues, but I'm not sure what.

The problem the Spuhrs have, is ring cap breakage which is not unheard of. And they’re expensive for what they are.

Dobermann

WKR
Doing some more background reading on the ZP5, I found this over on the Hide - Minox specifically mention that the ZP5 is designed to take a drop - though not sure if "downthrows of 10" means 10 drops, 10 cm, or 10 metres ... or something elese. But I was interested to at least see them mention it:

1672132531909.png

Dobermann

WKR
I know Form's initial write-up said:

Elevation turret is exposed, non revolution indicated ...

But for those for whom it matters, there is a visual indicator for the second revolution - a small circular "window" on the elevation turret, that shows black on the first rev, and changes to white on the second rev:

1672199455477.png

The elevation turret also becomes stiffer to turn at the change to the second rev.

Not that most of us are going to use 15 mils of elevation anyway, but just thought I'd note it for the sake of completeness. *nerd off*

Dobermann

WKR
And some more good trigger cam in this one ... don't get distracted by the BDC turret; that's a custom addition that Thomas added:

Dobermann

WKR
Continuing to add to the "ZP5 repository", the following video shows ZP5s being assembled in Germany - interestingly, it shows testing with (rubber) hammer blows, a 1000-G test, freezing, and heating in an oven:

Dobermann

WKR
Just stumbled upon another Gunwerks podcast with @THLR:

I haven't got to listen to it yet, but even if they don't discuss their version of the scope (in MOA - egads!), it looks like it will cover some of Thomas's approach to hunting ... which is reflected in the Hybrid reticle in the ZP5.

Dobermann

WKR
Oh happy day ...

DSC09053.JPG

Scored two of these back in December from a distributor in another country who was ending their Minox dealership. Got them for the equivalent of US$1325 each! (And no, they're not Chinese knock-offs.)

Just had to wait for a family member to bring them over. Long wait, but worth it.