Q&A for Minox ZP5 5-25x56mm THLR scope

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered one from the Netherlands - $2300 delivered, so not "cheap," but better than I found anywhere else using my comparatively weal search-fu. The THLR style reticle - thick, easily seen posts to (or within) 5 mils of center is criminally under rated/used. I target shoot a bunch, really enjoy it... and most of these PRS inspired reticles are disappointing to me, even for the sport which they're designed for.

Edit: price correction, Euros to dollars.

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
I just ordered one from the Netherlands - $2200 delivered, so not "cheap," but better than I found anywhere else using my comparatively weal search-fu. The THLR style reticle - thick, easily seen posts to (or within) 5 mils of center is criminally under rated/used. I target shoot a bunch, really enjoy it... and most of these PRS inspired reticles are disappointing to me, even for the sport which they're designed for.
Great!

Do you want to post the supplier, so others can benefit?

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Optics-World B.V. // Optics-World.nl
2.209,92 € out the door.

I pulled it up via Duck Duck Go, but it’s item 80106551. I also note that the no VAT price has moved to € 2.271,90 since I ordered.

Part of me is thinking I should have grabbed two…

Dobermann

WKR

Wyo_hntr

WKR
This is going to cost me some overtime. If anyone could be so gracious to pass along any deals or closeouts (after you get yours), feel free to pm me. I would be grateful.

Dobermann

WKR
This is going to cost me some overtime. If anyone could be so gracious to pass along any deals or closeouts (after you get yours), feel free to pm me. I would be grateful.
The Optics World or B&H Photo options above are likely the best, depending on the difference in shipping from each.

ZAR EC

FNG
Does anyone have the reticle thickness specifications of the THLR reticle available? The first 2 mils on the horizontal appear thinner than the rest.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
It is. Designed so because it is inside acute vision ° when shooter is focused on "a normal shot". After the shot it only contributes to obscure observation and assessment, so I kept it as fine as practical. Will look in my archive later.

Dobermann

WKR
Does anyone have the reticle thickness specifications of the THLR reticle available? The first 2 mils on the horizontal appear thinner than the rest.
Yes - or 'almost correct' as my sensei used to say.

The schematic (linked in this post above - https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...25x56mm-thlr-scope.253284/page-4#post-2480142) shows the first .4 to .8 mils are 0.04, from 1 to 2 mils are 0.015, and 0.04 after that.

1699950497044.png

The above image is just a snippet; the whole document is worth downloading and studying ... while the THLR reticle is incredibly intuitive to use (especially once you stop thinking about it), to look at each element, and ask why it was built the way it was, is an education in itself - not only into how Thomas regards shooting, but how he translated this into an incredibly functional tool that in turn actually assists with shooting.

@Formidilosus's posts in the eval thread explain most of it ... but Thomas's post above just shows how much more went into the thinking and the design.

There's a reason that one of the main long-range instructors here asks students to watch every one of @THLR's videos before turning up to class ...

ZAR EC

FNG
Yes - or 'almost correct' as my sensei used to say.

The schematic (linked in this post above - https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...25x56mm-thlr-scope.253284/page-4#post-2480142) shows the first .4 to .8 mils are 0.04, from 1 to 2 mils are 0.015, and 0.04 after that.

View attachment 626909

The above image is just a snippet; the whole document is worth downloading and studying ... while the THLR reticle is incredibly intuitive to use (especially once you stop thinking about it), to look at each element, and ask why it was built the way it was, is an education in itself - not only into how Thomas regards shooting, but how he translated this into an incredibly functional tool that in turn actually assists with shooting.

@Formidilosus's posts in the eval thread explain most of it ... but Thomas's post above just shows how much more went into the thinking and the design.

There's a reason that one of the main long-range instructors here asks students to watch every one of @THLR's videos before turning up
👍 I used the reticle a bit about 3 years ago but couldn't recall the thickness of the inner main stadia.

Fortunately I came accross THLR about 10 years ago and have followed him ever since.