Purchasing used firearm online, safety protocols?

I found the firearm I want on AR15.com
Cost is 2k

What are the steps I should take to insure safety.
What are the typical scams?

Everything seems legit, I have his FFL info/shop info and name of owner to call to verify.

Appreciate any input.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I do is verify name and address. Ill reverse look up the address and verify the name matches the county appraisal district. If the person is a renter its not going to help at all but it definitely gives piece of mind when it does.

If they will take a phone call from you and discuss the transaction and are responsive its usually no worry. If they only communicate through text/email and won't provide detailed info about themselves, abort mission.

Arfcom has a good feedback system, what does the seller’s past feedback look like? Is he also active on the forum?

OP
S
Arfcom has a good feedback system, what does the seller’s past feedback look like? Is he also active on the forum?

0 feedback on Ar15
Says he has established feedback on GunBroker.

He’s very communicative, sent plenty of pics.
Says he’s looking for original receipt.

All sounds legit, but scammers are excellent at their craft, and I’m a newb to purchasing online.

Thanks for the input.

0 feedback on Ar15

All sounds legit, but scammers are excellent at their craft, and I’m a newb to purchasing online.

Thanks for the input.
Facetime is always a good additional security measure. Have him show you the rifle "in person". Also ask him to share his Gunbroker handle so you can check feedback.

Last edited:

eltx

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t buy/sell a high value item unless the transaction was face to face with cash. Scammers are good at what they do and it’s not worth the risk to me to save a few bucks. You’ve already got one red flag (no EE feedback), how big of risk are you willing to take?

wyosteve

WKR
If not a face to face, I would pay with a credit card so you have some recourse.

Wheels

WKR
Maybe use Guntab?
I personally have not used this service, but it is highly regarded on some sites with protection for buyers and sellers.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
Deicide what level of risk you are comfortable with, then do your due diligence. As others have said get current pictures with identifying items in them. Call and talk to the seller, Facetime if possible showing the actual firearm. get FFL info if it will be an FFL to FFL transfer, and contact the FFL to verify seller before payment. Review online info such as feedback here, 25hrcf, hunttalk ect. if anything makes you uncomfortable or the seller bauks at any request then walk.

I have done many transactions here and the other sites without any troubles. I've paid online and with money orders. There are still honest people in the world.

0 feedback on Ar15

Thanks for the input.
I would not proceed myself, its easy for someone to say they have GB feedback, its another to earn it on Arfcom.

sacklunch

WKR
There isn't much you can't build for $2k in an AR platform. I guess the question is, why not buy a complete upper and lower (or lower parts kit) and put it together yourself and not take the risk?