Boring Rifle Muzzle Brake

I recently discovered there was a gunsmith/machine shop for rifle parts in my hometown of Beaver, Utah. To many, you think, “ok. No big deal”. But for me, I usually rely on Amazon or other online stores like Midway USA or Brownells for most of my shooting/hunting supplies. Keep in mind my town is tiny, nestled in the foothills of the Tushar Mountain range with some of the best hunting in the state of Utah.

So, it makes sense that there would be this Rifle store. Beaver is also home to Phone Skope a well-known Digi scoping tool in the outdoor industry as well as Utah Hydrographics and Pyro Putty. All these brands are successful and connected in some fashion.

But back to the reason for this article- Boring Rifles.

I went in and talked with Karston , owner and gunsmith, and felt at home right away. I didn’t feel talked down to or pressured to get anything I didn’t want. A day later I got a call to come pick up my barreled action (BA) in 6.5 PRC. I was impressed and decided my next rifle would come thru the doors of this shop.

Well, a few months later Hornady opened those doors with the release of the new 7PRC. I texted Karston that night and had one ordered. A few visits to the shop discussing the “clicker” issue with the tight tolerance of the PRC chambers and we explored options to remedy this and still get the rifle in my hands in a timely manner. The big issue is the custom reamers to fix the clicker issue was a couple months out. Normally clickers are not an issue for those who shoot factory ammo. Since I reload, I knew eventually I would have issues with over sized cases in these tight PRC chambers.

This is where this review takes a turn from most reviews.

Karston let me take one of the newly spun up BA 7PRC’s out to the range to verify. It was a shooter. I will post a pic of the target used mostly to see what speeds were available and get scope somewhat close. What was a pleasant surprise was the last 3 shots that were touching. All under 15 rounds down the barrel with factory loads. But what stopped me in my tracks after the very first shot was the brake. ( pun intended). I fully expected this to be way more than my 6.5PRC and close to my 30-06 as far as recoil goes. But it was no more than my 6.5 PRC. This was so easy to manage and stay on target. I went back to the shop and asked him who’s brake this was, he replied, “it’s mine”.

I repeated the question a couple more times as did he the answer the same. I informed him, “this kicked the same, if not less than my 6.5 PRC”. He smiled and said he had a “year of testing and designing in these”. Well, it showed. Then he handed me a bag with several of his brake options and said, “go try these out”. Well, I was back at the range. I didn’t care that it was 30 degrees with a Northwind of 20+ MPH. These things were like no brake I had tried, and like most of you, I tried a lot of brakes. In fact, I quit trying brakes, cause they all seemed about the same and it was a waste of my time and money. But these are different. The titanium brakes are so light, yet effective, they fit my mountain rifle builds perfectly and really help the lighter rifles shoot like a heavier one. The larger 3 and 4 port SS burnished brakes not only looked unique, but it tamed the magnum 7PRC so much, I asked to buy one right away.

You really need to see these to appreciate their unique look. But you really need to shoot one to appreciate their recoil management abilities.​

The added porting on top allowed me to stay on target at 100 yards every shot, off a bipod and rear bag. The included jam nut makes timing a breeze. I am now curious how these will tame my 28 Nosler, and am wondering if I should’ve kept my 300 RUM

Attachments

• boringbrake.jpg
    boringbrake.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 7prctarget.jpg
    7prctarget.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 49

Rob5589

WKR
Brakes are awesome in every way except the increased noise. Even doubled up my ears can't handle them any longer. If suppressors could be purchased and used in every state without restrictions, brakes would mostly go the way of the DoDo bird.

Mag_7s

WKR
That is really good to hear. Thank you for your review, as I am strongly considering the Supa bee for a current build. Tough decision now between Salmon River.

OP
mfllood3800
Brakes are awesome in every way except the increased noise. Even doubled up my ears can't handle them any longer. If suppressors could be purchased and used in every state without restrictions, brakes would mostly go the way of the DoDo bird.
I love surpressors

OP
mfllood3800
That is really good to hear. Thank you for your review, as I am strongly considering the Supa bee for a current build. Tough decision now between Salmon River.
I also tested the "Boss" and it was amazing. Everyone I played with seemed to have muzzle lift well controlled. He said he had access to a wind tunnel for testing to create exactly what he was after- it paid off.

I also purchased a Boring Rifle. Karston is awesome to work with a delivers outstanding rifles. Mine is chambered in 300 PRC. I have owned 2 different 300 PRCs from Christensen Arms.

The first was a MPR. It was fun to shoot and fairly accurate for a factory build, I ended up selling it in favor of the more traditional Ridgeline. The Ridgeline was equally accurate but I got the bug for a custom rifle. Both of these came with muzzle brakes and at the time I thought the did a great job mitigating recoil. Then I got the Boring.

You are not kidding! It is an amazing soft recoiling magnum. Not to mention an incredibly accurate rifle!