Pull behind camper?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Me and girlfriend are seriously considering getting one. Getting to where I hate staying in hotels and we’re usually traveling some where once or twice a month be it spear fishing tournaments, vacations or soon to be traveling across country to bring the Redheaded step child home. We also like traveling with the dogs and hotels aren’t always accommodating especially with 2-3 large pooches.

I’m wanting the smallest model available to try and save some gas but that also has a shower . That’s my only real requirement.
We’re pulling with either a Tacoma or a jeep wrangler

I’ve found several that I think fit the bill but wanted some real world experience

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
I’ve had 3 Jeeps, and tried to pull a tiny dry camper once. Don’t. Your Tacoma will hate life but possibly be a bit better.

That said, all campers suck. Get the smallest one you can find. Holding tank capacity is what I would focus on, even if you pull dry. Heated and enclosed underbelly is a must IMO. Solar is nice when boondocking.

I see a half ton in your future…

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the R-Pods and Winnie Drop travel trailers. 17-18 feet. Quite light for what they are, with all of the amenities of a big camper, just less space. The Black series of travel trailers are super nice, but darn expensive.

Big question is do you plan on staying at campgrounds or boondocking?

We had a 17ft jayco hummingbird that was very nice and had a good sized bathroom with shower. We really enjoyed it. Good size for two people and a couple of dogs.
I pulled it with my f150 5.0 though, which did good but I only got 9-10mpg and was thankful for the 36gal tank on trips.
I wouldn't be comfortable pulling something that size with a tacoma or wrangler.

We sold the jayco hummingbird.
Decided to get back into camping and bought a popup. So much more space and tows way better because it doesn't catch hardly any wind. Towing from KY to MI I averaged 15mpg which is about 1.5mpg that normal.

Long story long-- I'd look into getting a popup if pulling with a tacoma or wrangler. Otherwise like another said you'll be looking for a half ton

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
The height and wind resistance is what will hurt you more than overall weight. Don't get a full square body camper with those tow vehicles.

Look into pop ups or tear drops.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
You might check out fiberglass or aluminum body campers. Scamp, Intech flyer, or maybe diy something from Colorado Trailers.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t even know she’s back there…😂😂

Attachments

• 34ECE2D6-080E-4341-BB8E-2CA1FBC04646.jpeg
    34ECE2D6-080E-4341-BB8E-2CA1FBC04646.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 137

yfarm

WKR
Casita, 17’, 3500 lbs, shower, toilet, dinette on the drivers side, rear queen bed, sink,stove and refrig on curb side. Bought used for 9k in 2013, is a 2002. Repairs since purchase are a bathroom faucet and tires. Replaced torsion axle which was still functional with a leaf spring axle to get larger brakes and a 5 1/2” lift. Original water heater is on the horizon for replacement. Spent 5 weeks in it one summer on a road trip with the wife and 3 dachshunds, left the lab with my son. Molded fiberglass, no leaks at 21 years of age, how many rvs can do that.

Attachments

• 71BBD79C-E9BC-4FEF-9B38-E22D018E7F0E.jpeg
    71BBD79C-E9BC-4FEF-9B38-E22D018E7F0E.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
5fcbc85897408641db6e413eea33fa71.jpg

Have a Wolf pup and i pull it with a 4 runner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have a 19' single axle Dutchmen Aspen Lite. Very satisfied with it.

Wife wanted a toilet not in the shower.

Not sure how a Wrangler/Tacoma would pull it... I have an F250.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Jayco 165 that I towed with a frontier and Colorado. Worked great with my wife and one kid. Had bunk beds and a pull out table/bed. I had more kids and I got rid of it. It was great.

Me and girlfriend are seriously considering getting one. Getting to where I hate staying in hotels and we’re usually traveling some where once or twice a month be it spear fishing tournaments, vacations or soon to be traveling across country to bring the Redheaded step child home. We also like traveling with the dogs and hotels aren’t always accommodating especially with 2-3 large pooches.

I’m wanting the smallest model available to try and save some gas but that also has a shower . That’s my only real requirement.
We’re pulling with either a Tacoma or a jeep wrangler

I’ve found several that I think fit the bill but wanted some real world experience
It's crazy to even try to have this conversation without having an idea of your budget. Small, 2-3 large dogs and a step child? Do you envision boondocking (camping in places without water, sewer and power? If you'll let us know what you have found, that will help us understand what category you are looking at.