PSA I was scammed

Maki35

WKR
ok, Im stupid, dont even have a paypal account. but seems everyone is asking for paypal ff now so what do yall use instead to protect yourselves.
use paypal “G&S”. Pay(you) the extra 3% so the seller gets their full selling price and you’ll get the paypal protection. (If the seller refuses, I would pass on it.)
Link a CC to paypal instead of bank acct.

Darkweb has plenty of lists people can buy that have accounts associated with your email address, and passwords your email address is associated with. Every time some org or website gets hacked, that's usually where it goes. Don't use the same password on multiple sites.

Rich M

WKR
use paypal “G&S”. Pay(you) the extra 3% so the seller gets their full selling price and you’ll get the paypal protection. (If the seller refuses, I would pass on it.)
Link a CC to paypal instead of bank acct.

A lot of the sellers won't let people do G&S cause it puts them on the hook for the money if there is a problem. A handful of posts and irritated folks w that one. Seems like it is tough to make a $million if folks return stuff or don't get it in the mail and has not been insured to save $5.

I just buy stuff retail and return it to big-brand-name if something is wrong. Also use CC to buy larger $ items since they have points and the protections allowed by CC.

All that said - have had some great experiences both buying and selling on here. Mostly good folks.

atmat

WKR
Question. For the non tech savy retards.

How can ones account be hacked so easily here?

Guessing passwords
also Phishing scams

Darkweb has plenty of lists people can buy that have accounts associated with your email address, and passwords your email address is associated with. Every time some org or website gets hacked, that's usually where it goes. Don't use the same password on multiple sites.

Additionally, this OP said that the actual member (who was hacked) had published his phone number publicly on the forum.

It’s a terrible idea to be posting personal information like phone numbers, emails, addresses, etc. on a forum. Suddenly a hacker has something to link to the account and makes the job much easier.

For example, googling phone number can often reveal who a person is. Then you can find their email address. Then you can compare to info on dark web to find passwords associated with that email. Then you come back here and use those same passwords with the persons username. Voila.

CorbLand

WKR
A lot of the sellers won't let people do G&S cause it puts them on the hook for the money if there is a problem. A handful of posts and irritated folks w that one. Seems like it is tough to make a $million if folks return stuff or don't get it in the mail and has not been insured to save $5.

I just buy stuff retail and return it to big-brand-name if something is wrong. Also use CC to buy larger $ items since they have points and the protections allowed by CC.

All that said - have had some great experiences both buying and selling on here. Mostly good folks.
If its a gun related item, then GS is worthless. PayPal wont cover it either way so there is no need to pay the fee.

You also run into issues with dishonest buyers. They will get the product, claim it didnt show or wasnt what was stated and Paypal will generally side with the buyer. It has happened to a few people.

Add in the threat of the new tax stuff with Paypal and other services.

Accepting GS from a sellers standpoint is getting to the point that its not worth it.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
I cant think of any reason why anyone would splurge on a Garmin only to turn around and sell it used right now.
All used Garmins should be considered suspicious.
In fairness, they can be bought for 20% off at any time now — so $480.