PSA for Solar

JohnDough

FNG
My 80 yr old neighbor told me she owes $70k for the solar system that was installed. It's possible that she has the number wrong, I don't know. I thought that was an obscene amount of money and that they cost half that. My agenda is that really pisses me off.
Be mad at the scammer though. Would you hate a car just because someone bought one at 12% APR for 8 years?

OP
Yoder

Yoder

WKR
I View attachment 729713
I put a 6,500 w system as soon as I had my cabin closed in, bought it unused off FB for about $4,000 and a $1,500 battery. with a little research, did all the installation myself.

It runs everything I have so far, pellet stove, fridge, table saw, chop saw, etc. LED lights and ceiling fans.
It's nice to have ceiling fans and outside motion detector/security lights on all the time when I am away.
Walk in and flip the lights on, don't have to hook up generator in the dark or mess with gas, etc.

FYI, between FB and a discount lumber store, I have about $22,000 all in, and the sheetrock is hung. 26x32 with loft
This is what I envision when I think about solar. This is awesome.

376 million gallons consumed per day, times 365 days per year, = 137,240,000,000 gallons per year

$20 billion annual subsidies to "big oil"

Comes out to 14 cents a gallon. And generally the taxes on top of a gallon are higher than that.

trust isn't something am big on when it comes to business, there must be a legality before i do things, sad she's old and got too advantage of but this shows that older people should use lawyers when it come to high amount purchases, it would save them a lot of money, time and hart ache.

JohnDough

FNG
What a crock of shit. What's your source?

So nah, I don't feel bad about keeping some of the money I worked for in my pocket because I drive EV and went solar. It was always mine, anyway.

So nah, I don't feel bad about keeping some of the money I worked for in my pocket because I drive EV and went solar. It was always mine, anyway.

Please demonstrate how (per your own source) $10 to $50 billion per year comes out to $17 per gallon. :rolleyes:

tony

WKR
trust isn't something am big on when it comes to business, there must be a legality before i do things, sad she's old and got too advantage of but this shows that older people should use lawyers when it come to high amount purchases, it would save them a lot of money, time and hart ache.
My old man loves to spend money. Drives my mom crazy 😄
They live in northern Ohio and without getting into another debate. The winters are getting milder and the summers hotter. The power rarely goes out and when it does it’s not long. And like I mentioned the house pretty much runs on gas.
I think they may have been better served with a generator tapped into the house gas.

Mom was not thrilled in the slightest with this purchase. But they have the money, even though that money could have went towards their needs as they age.

JohnDough

FNG
Please demonstrate how (per your own source) $10 to $50 billion per year comes out to $17 per gallon. :rolleyes:
Screenshot_20240628-215006_Chrome.jpg

While I don't agree with all of it, and find it skewed, I also don't agree with people saying I need to pay more taxes and when I dont, Im "taking their money" from them. Or whining about kids in Nigeria mining when nothing in my car came from Africa.

If you have electric service available, solar makes absolutely no sense.

If you have an off grid situation then it makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Marble

WKR
I live in CA and have had a 15kw system since 2017. Best investment I've made. Cost me near 25k, iirc, after tax breaks. I save ~$8000 annually.

I currently pay ~$400 annually for PGE costs.

I started with a personal loan at a rate of ~9%. Paid it off in 18 months or less.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yup, commifornia is a good place to get solar. Lots of sun, lots of subsidies which makes solar logical. Solar is simple cost vs. ROI. Having a sub 5 year break even point is awesome. I have priced them out and I can't touch 5 years. Hopefully the cost continues to drop and they become even more efficient.

Weldor

WKR
They are building a 300 mw solar farm up buy Apache Junction, no need to buy your own. I'm sure they will pass the savings along to everyone. (sarcasm). They built one down by Catalina and no one knows who it supplies. LOL. If It was cost effective we would not be paying higher prices at peak demand now would we. LOL again. Just for giggles my cousins son is a solar engineer, I'm going ask him what is cost effective to run a wholehouse 200 amp service. 5 ton heatpump, my welders and tools etc. I'm curious to see what he has to say. will get back when I have the info.

JohnDough

FNG
They are building a 300 mw solar farm up buy Apache Junction, no need to buy your own. I'm sure they will pass the savings along to everyone. (sarcasm). They built one down by Catalina and no one knows who it supplies. LOL. If It was cost effective we would not be paying higher prices at peak demand now would we. LOL again. Just for giggles my cousins son is a solar engineer, I'm going ask him what is cost effective to run a wholehouse 200 amp service. 5 ton heatpump, my welders and tools etc. I'm curious to see what he has to say. will get back when I have the info.
Mine was break-even. My note payment would replace my electric payment, and then in 20 years, I'd own it.

Marble

WKR
Mine was break-even. My note payment would replace my electric payment, and then in 20 years, I'd own it.
20 years!? F that. No way I would wait that long to pay that off. Not trying to bust your balls, but that sounds nuts to me.

Ucsdryder

WKR
20 years!? F that. No way I would wait that long to pay that off. Not trying to bust your balls, but that sounds nuts to me.

Yeah that seems crazy. Good luck moving and trying to sell your place with a solar lien on the house. What’s the life expectancy of solar? In 20 year I bet the technology is ancient. Then it’s time for a new 20 year policy!