Pro's and con's of synthetic game bags?

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
I know many her use TAG, Caribou, and the like….any opinions on this subject?

Found a few youtube reviews stating that they don't breath as well, thus creating a more humid environment for bacterial growth for extended use.

But the pro's stated are weight and space in the pack is optimal compared to cotton pillow case like models.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Considering how fast they dry (yet are still able to adsorb moisture) versus cotton that you mentioned I have a hard time seeing how they wouldn't breath better. But maybe I'm missing something.

Pro: stronger (usually), clean well, dry fast, numerous sizes available to suit needs.

Con: Cost versus cheap pillow cases I suppose. But they last so that quickly prorates out.

Mv48

FNG
Plus the design of the TAG bags is in my opinion really the deal sealer. The way they 'stand up' and become somewhat rigid when filled - makes pack ability just much much better. Well worth the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are stronger which means the pores in the bag don't open as much when hanging by the bag keeping bugs off. I didn't like how the bags stuck to the meat more than a natural fiber game bag. Not a problem if you let the crust without the bag at night or don't have it in the bag long enough for it to set up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
I LOVE my TAGs. I see no downside other than the original cost but after 4-5 years and many animals from deer to bear to elk and antelope they've paid themselves off.

ElkBoss

FNG
Never had a problem with breathability, but I usually only have the meat in the bags for 10-18 hrs. Can't beat the space/weight savings. I was amazed at how well the TAG bags cleaned up.

svivian

WKR
Not trying to derail the thread... But has anyone had experience with the black Ovis bags on camofire. They say and seem to be similar to TAG bags but I have heard that they are not the same material.

bbrown

WKR
Used the cheap bags from Walmart like Remington, Allen etc then I "upgraded" to the Alaskan brand bags from Sportsmans warehouse and thought I had found the missing link. Ended up winning a Rokslide kill kit from a photo contest on here with a couple of the TAG bags and after using them for years and more than a couple animals I can see my self using anything else. I have added the BOMB bags on top of the set I won and between the 2 kits I am covered. They are light weight and very tough yet wash out easily between animals and dry very quickly.

The only negatives I have come across is they can stick to the meat as someone mentioned and the seams can fray but a quick burn with a lighter takes care of that. Both are very minor annoyances.

GKPrice

Banned
Considering how fast they dry (yet are still able to adsorb moisture) versus cotton that you mentioned I have a hard time seeing how they wouldn't breath better. But maybe I'm missing something.

Pro: stronger (usually), clean well, dry fast, numerous sizes available to suit needs.

Con: Cost versus cheap pillow cases I suppose. But they last so that quickly prorates out.

where a cotton shirt for a day and then try wearing a shirt made out of the synthetic material, it'll become obvious pretty quick

GKPrice

Banned
I made some cotton canvas bags myself for a moose/caribou hunt we made in 1996 in AK, 12 days in a raft and it only froze two nights of the trip - I still have and use nearly all those original meat bags and I've not lost any meat to date, they've been used every year since - Now, as I remember it would have been nice to have more compact bags on the moose trip so that is a definite "pro" for these newer ones but I still use cotton pillow cases for my boned meat every year for elk and deer with no complaints about spoiled meat and the quarter bags stand up by themselves as well with a quarter in them as the quarters do, bare to the elements (and I don't cuss and fret if I tear a hole in one, I just sew it up when I get home)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
where a cotton shirt for a day and then try wearing a shirt made out of the synthetic material, it'll become obvious pretty quick

I think you're trying to make a case for cotton being better here but in your example I'd disagree. In low strenuous causal life I like wearing cotton since its usually softer and feels better on the skin BUT I'm not sweating. When I'm sweating I much prefer the right kind of synthetics (not everything is the same obviously) which wick and/or wet out but dry very quickly where as a cotton shirt soaks with sweat and takes a long while to dry off. Perhaps I misunderstood your intent?

GKPrice

Banned
I think you're trying to make a case for cotton being better here but in your example I'd disagree. In low strenuous causal life I like wearing cotton since its usually softer and feels better on the skin BUT I'm not sweating. When I'm sweating I much prefer the right kind of synthetics (not everything is the same obviously) which wick and/or wet out but dry very quickly where as a cotton shirt soaks with sweat and takes a long while to dry off. Perhaps I misunderstood your intent?[/QUOTE

Maybe a little, I see the new generation of synthetics as having their place and where "expense" isn't a germane part of the conversation I'd have to say just go for it, what's the downside ? Where budgetary constraints are relevant there are alternatives ALTHOUGH is thinking about it while in the shower I can see where rainy or wet environments could also easily become a factor for spoilage - I guess my "point" to be made is that "old school" isn't always a villain but I'm shooting stainless rifles and variable scopes, etc .. so maybe being a hypocrite can be a "villain" as well :( I'll pony up and try some of these bags if someone would give me a link for the brand most well thought of for mountain elk environments .....

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder why I have less BO with cotton than I do when wearing synthetics. I thought that has something to do with bacteria growth doesn't it?

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe a little, I see the new generation of synthetics as having their place and where "expense" isn't a germane part of the conversation I'd have to say just go for it, what's the downside ? Where budgetary constraints are relevant there are alternatives ALTHOUGH is thinking about it while in the shower I can see where rainy or wet environments could also easily become a factor for spoilage - I guess my "point" to be made is that "old school" isn't always a villain but I'm shooting stainless rifles and variable scopes, etc .. so maybe being a hypocrite can be a "villain" as well :( I'll pony up and try some of these bags if someone would give me a link for the brand most well thought of for mountain elk environments .....

Expense is relative depending on lifespan. I don't think the canvas bags are any cheaper are they? They are heavier/bulkier though. The cheese cloth bags are cheaper but they don't last as long and personally I found them to be an utter pain in the rear to have to stretch them open while trying to stuff a quarter into them. The only real cheap thing that comes to mind is goodwill pillow cases which I started with but found that a bull rear doesn't really fit into them, they wear out and don't clean up as well. So I suppose if you're a really low cost hunter they might not appeal but compared to the cost of optics, clothes, packs, ammo, guns (or bows/arrows) most tend to run I don't think a set of bags that run $50-80 usually is that steep of a cost.

I think you're trying to make a case for cotton being better here but in your example I'd disagree. In low strenuous causal life I like wearing cotton since its usually softer and feels better on the skin BUT I'm not sweating. When I'm sweating I much prefer the right kind of synthetics (not everything is the same obviously) which wick and/or wet out but dry very quickly where as a cotton shirt soaks with sweat and takes a long while to dry off. Perhaps I misunderstood your intent?

Agree 100%

GKPrice

Banned
So, can someone provide a link or better yet (for me anyway) the name of the cloth material these new bags are made of ??