proof of sex?

sk1

WKR
this might be a really dumb question, but I have never deboned an animal out in the field, how do you guys go about showing proof of sex on an elk when deboning it? Where I'm going this year I will need to debone to get an elk out if im lucky enough to get one.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
We normally leave the penis and or penis sheath attached to one of the large hind quarter muscles. It looks odd but meets the requirement in Alaska.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
I leave a testicle on each rear quarter if I can. If I'm not paying attention and cut it wrong I'll leave them both on one quarter. I skin them out of the scrotum and separate them if I do it right. So theres no hair to get on the meat.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Trevore how do you skin them out and have them attached to the meat? Testicles are not attached to meat(maybe some very fragile muculous fibers) but not on good enough I would count on it. Trust me I casterate about 200 head of steers each year testcles are not attached to meat other than the skin. The truth is when they wrote that law they didn't think about someone who debones an animal. I have taken a chunk of meat about like a cantalope and left the scrotum attached to it by the skin throw it in a bag of its own and never had problems when i've been checked. Otherwise you'll have hair everywhere. I see what they were trying to acheive but they didn't count on that stuff now of course if you quarter its easy to leave skin on.

dotman

WKR
I leave the skin attached, I'll take a ziplock and ziptie and leave just a small amount of skin attached to the meat. Place the 99% of the skin with hair and genitales in the ziplock and then ziptie it closed, put a few small holes in it so it can breathe and isn't airtight. This way you have very little hair exposed to the meat but still have proof of sex attached and a barrier to keep most of the hair off the meat.

bz_711

WKR
How long must this evidence remain attached? Can you go ahead and butcher 100% in camp and wrap meat? Or must this remain attached while still in camp?

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Thanks for the info guys I wasn't quite sure how to go about it with a deboned elk...makes sense

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I leave the skin attached, I'll take a ziplock and ziptie and leave just a small amount of skin attached to the meat. Place the 99% of the skin with hair and genitales in the ziplock and then ziptie it closed, put a few small holes in it so it can breathe and isn't airtight. This way you have very little hair exposed to the meat but still have proof of sex attached and a barrier to keep most of the hair off the meat.

I like your ziplock and ziptie method!

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Montana:

1. It is illegal to possess or transport the carcass of any big game animal unless evidence of the animal's sex and species remains naturally attached to it's carcass or a portion of the carcass.

2. Evidence of an animal's sex and species must remain naturally attached until the carcass:
-Is at the final place of storage; or
-Cut and wrapped in serving size; or
-Is at commercial meat processing facility; or
-Is at licensed taxidermist

3. If the head or antlers are removed, evidence of sex in the form of testicles, penis, scrotum, udder or vulva must remain naturally attached. For example, boned out or quartered animals need evidence of sex naturally attached to a portion of the meat.

Montana 2012 Deer, Elk and Antelope regulations page 11

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Dotman what's the purpose of a ziplock and a zip tie? Isn't just closing the ziplock then poking holes good enough or are you not trusting the ziplock closure