prepare for backcountry

Krcooke92

FNG
What’s y’all’s preferred way to prepare for the backcountry? Being from Texas the way that seems to help me the most is running, I try to stay in shape year around but if I do go on a break the way I start out is running a mile every day for about 2 weeks then increasing to 2 miles a days under 15 minutes then by the time Im about to go on my hunt I’m up to 3 miles a day trying to keep my time around 23 minutes this helps to keep my heart rate rising which I’ve found is the best way for me to prepare for the mountains this year I’m goin for 4 miles a day

Rich M

WKR
I just walk. Do some weight training. Walk some more.

Running is good to build lungs and endurance. Stadium bleachers would do a world of good.

hikenhunt

WKR
Nothing beats walking with weight on your back. If you don't have any hills that you can climb, then running can work on the cardio that you'll need when climbing hills.

sacklunch

WKR
Running is for the birds. Load that pack up with 70-80# and ruck 4-5 times a week. Decompress your spine a few times a week and lift 4-5 times a week. Have to train your body for the weight and you generally aren't running up the mountain.
Or you could be a well-rounded athlete and train ALL of your energy systems😉... that'd be my suggestion, OP.

Also OP, rucking (or packing out quarters) is not so much cardio as it is muscular endurance. Back to the original point...lift, run AND ruck.

Or you could be a well-rounded athlete and train ALL of your energy systems😉... that'd be my suggestion, OP.

Also OP, rucking (or packing out quarters) is not so much cardio as it is muscular endurance. Back to the original point...lift, run AND ruck.
Exactly what system would I be missing LOL?

sacklunch

WKR
Exactly what system would I be missing LOL?
with rucking only? The ATP-PC and the lactate system.

But the post was just light hearted sarcasm in response to 'running is for the birds', jab. I enjoy rucking, alot.

Edit, I shouldn't say rucking isn't cardio, that's not true, but LDSS is training just one aspect cardiovascular fitness.

Last edited:
I personally like interval type cardio. It seems to be similar to elk hunting. Trains endurance and the ability to move quickly. Throwing 80 pounds and rucking is a recipe for injury. I train 30- 50 piunds mixing it up. As the season nears, I will do a few heavy rucks. Also have incorporated lower leg balance work with a balance board. I have noticed a big difference the past few years. Coming up from sea level. Try to incorporate acclimatization days of low activity prior to the hunt, pounding the water.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I do a normal lifting routine, typically hitting every muscle group 2x a week (except legs, which I go hard on once a week), run long-distance once a week, run with a weighted vest once or twice, and run shorter distances (2-5 miles) on the days I dont run long or with the vest. But I live at sea level so its important for me to improve my cardio drastically.

4rcgoat

WKR
Good suggestions as always. One thing to consider is grip strength, elk meat is heavy and awkward to hold and carry. Hanging an elk quarter up in a tree by yourself is not easy in the least bit.

Scoot

WKR
Jlw-- running with a weighted vest is tough on a body! If it works for you that's great,
but I bet your 60 year old knees will thank you for stopping that.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Jlw-- running with a weighted vest is tough on a body! If it works for you that's great,
but I bet your 60 year old knees will thank you for stopping that.
You're probably right, but I just can't stand the thought of not being prepared when I finally get to go on a hunt I've been planning and waiting on all year! Just hate risking making an exciting adventure more of a miserable task than a fun experience. I usually don't go super heavy anyways but I should probably just do more hiking or walking on the treadmill on incline with the vest for the sake of my joints.

Running 40+ miles a week and strengthening legs, back, shoulders and core in preparation for a heavy pack.

MattB

WKR
Running is for the birds. Load that pack up with 70-80# and ruck 4-5 times a week. Decompress your spine a few times a week and lift 4-5 times a week. Have to train your body for the weight and you generally aren't running up the mountain.
Starting with 70-80# is a good recipe for most guys to get injured. I would start at 30# or so and work up by 5# or so each week.

*zap*

WKR
To prepare for slow/steady hiking I think slow/steady hiking would be best with maybe 10% higher intensity cardio thrown in and some ruck days. Strength training would also be helpful.

I did weighted hiking on our steepest grades found around home. My strength was fine and I don't feel like my legs were tired hunting last Sept in Colorado. I will do more cardio for our next trip. I felt like I wasn't able to transfer oxygen well enough to recover my breathing quickly enough in the mountains. More cardio would help that I think,.