Posting unit #'s

Wags

WKR
This is exactly the rub-- how can we find out which outfitters offer packout services without a unit number?

People beating the drum for ** are not helpful to those hoping to draw it in the near future. These same members are the very people who should know better

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

You can't. It's either Google, call the biologist or nothing.

Nobody is here to help or give guidance. God help you if you post a picture of a bull and mention the state it was take in.

Laramie

WKR
Ruining it for everyone? Or just for you?

It's amazing the divisiveness that exists within the hunting community. Preaching bringing along new hunters but then not wanting to actually share the opportunities. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

FYI - I own a large hunting and fishing property in my own state, and we have a free hunting club. All that we ask is that you come participate on workdays a few weekends a year. Can we allow everyone to hunt on it or even allow all members to fill all their tags? No, the population just can't take it. But I don't harvest any more animals than anybody else.

Y'all keep on telling non-residents to stay off your lawn. But don't forget where these game departments get the financial resources to better manage their game. And don't forget as the anti-hunters move into your states and come knocking to cancel your hunting who will also be there fighting alongside you. ✌️
I am a non-resident. Everyone was pretty clear- you and me included. The number of people who have been added to the system is going to make most tags once in a lifetime if ever. Most of the new people haven't even done the math or they wouldn't be wasting their time. Take the preference points I posted previously and divide by the number of tags. It comes out, right now, to an average of a 20 year wait for an elk tag in Wyoming. There is no way the majority of people applying even know that.

There is no get off my lawn sentiment here, no divisiveness- just reality. Some guys are getting rich spilling the beans about something great that is a very limited resource. The problem is they aren't telling the whole truth.
For what it's worth, I do help people every year. I just do it very selectively. I don't hate those applying or wanting to hunt out west. Nobody here does. Many of us just understand it isn't feasible to have 100,000 people waiting in line.

@realunlucky
This may be a dumb question but i have not seen this asked before on here.
Is there a way you can make all threads private so they can't be found with a simple google search ? I know this won't stop FNG's from creating threads asking unit specific questions but at least the entire world wouldn't have access to the ignorance of some.

Laramie

WKR
I think clarification with facts is needed on a couple of points here.

First, the total number of hunters in the US has not risen markedly in over 40 years. The total number of hunters has been sitting at around an average of 15M for the last two decades, and actually peaked at around 17M hunters in the 80's. How many of us would say the 80's had better hunting opportunities than now?
Most.
As a percentage of the total population (as that grows), % of hunters has actually been in decline. So, saying we have more (or, too many) hunters isn't really a valid argument. Are there more total recreational users in the field than ever before, absolutely, but not more hunters.

Second, just because someone pays their application or preference point fees with a credit card online as SDHNTR said above, doesn't mean they are using money they don't have. I use a credit card exclusively for all of my purchases, and I don't need to. Making it a pain in the butt to apply or buy a preference point isn't the solution. Making hunting so expensive that normal folks can't apply or hunt isn't either, even though that would benefit me. I think anyone working a legit job who doesn't make very much money should still have an equal crack at hunting for their food or personal fulfilment. What if your 22 year old kid who loves hunting with a passion just graduated from college, in debt, teaches public school and lives check to check wants to apply? They shouldn't be able to because they need a little credit to get their lives started?

If we are looking at this issue as a supply and demand model....land development and constant use of habitat rich in wildlife, especially wintering grounds and spring calving/fawning grounds has impacted the "supply" of wildlife and hunting opportunities more than the total number of hunters has....which largely remains static.

Blame the social media folks all you want to for helping people to understand draw odds and how to apply. But, most of that content is driven by a reaction to the states in the West dramatically reducing their non-resident tag allocations to the point people have no choice but to enter the points game. Not just to draw premium units, but to be able to go hunting at all. There has been a massive shift in Res/Non-Res allocation ratios across the board. It's simply a way to increase revenue for those states without adding any additional pressure on their resources.

My suggestion would be to move to the state you want to hunt in the most if hunting is that important to you, because it's only going to get worse for anyone wanting to hunt out of state.
Until around 2004 I could drive to Wyoming, stop at the West Laramie Fly Store, buy my nonresident antelope permits, and go shoot a couple of antelope that afternoon. General elk tags were every year if applying special and 2 out of 3 years applying in the regular. Cow moose took zero points in the best area of the state. I can go on and on... If you don't think social media has been the #1 influence that changed that, you are crazy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
@realunlucky
Is there a way you can make all threads private so they can't be found with a simple google search ? I know this won't stop FNG's from creating threads asking unit specific questions but at least the entire world wouldn't have access to the ignorance of some.
I'm not the tech guy to answer that question Avery is more likely the guy.

In my opinion no its not possible to restrict them to internal use only, unless we store that information separately. Storage is money and no external search is less of revenue.

I'd venter to guess the new policy hurts Rokslide financially but Robby and Ryan believe it helps hunting for everyone in the long term.

I'm not the tech guy to answer that question Avery is more likely the guy.

In my opinion no its not possible to restrict them to internal use only, unless we store that information separately. Storage is money and no external search is less of revenue.

I'd venter to guess the new policy hurts Rokslide financially but Robby and Ryan believe it helps hunting for everyone in the long term.

I might get roasted for this but...
Do you know if Rokslide has ever considered a paywall?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
@realunlucky
I've been thinking about something along these lines. I need to bounce it off Ryan and Robby but my work/life has been slammed the last little bit and can't add another project too it. After I'm back from another bear hunt I'll look at it.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
@realunlucky
@realunlucky

Second something close to this idea. If there was a general format that was allowed.

I.e. "Looking for general unit info (packer, horse rental, meat processor, etc.) for x species or x date. Only PM's allowed" and message is immediately locked for responses. Peoples reputation may proceed them for responses. Thoughts?

Maybe Rokslide should stop having the yearly photo contest(s) to help reduce desire to hunt the West.

Just saying
And ban the hunting stories and recaps. Then ban the "this is what I learned" threads. Then ban the best gear threads. I mean its all just giving everyone an easy button and they should be pulling themselves up by their boot straps (just make sure no one tells them the best boots) and getting after it on their own with no help.

DanimalW

WKR
It is not hard to create an account and let it sit. If someone does not post, how do you suggest tracking participation? Should the site track time spent actively reading the form and requirer 100 hours? To insure it is active reading, time only counts for 1 minute, then someone must scroll are click to start adding time again? How to make sure a bot is not scrolling? While not perfect, it is easier to jusge the quality of posts (how the 2 year old scam account got identified).

There was a 2 year old scam account a while back.

Also, technically FNG is defined by post count on this form. For example, the OP is technically an FNG, though he may have spent more time lurking around the form than many WKRs and be a DADDY in spirit.
Maybe time is a better measure. There are way too many posts that contribute absolutely nothing, and some of that might be FNG’s trying to get more posts.

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
It is not hard to create an account and let it sit. If someone does not post, how do you suggest tracking participation? Should the site track time spent actively reading the form and requirer 100 hours? To insure it is active reading, time only counts for 1 minute, then someone must scroll are click to start adding time again? How to make sure a bot is not scrolling? While not perfect, it is easier to jusge the quality of posts (how the 2 year old scam account got identified).

There was a 2 year old scam account a while back.

Also, technically FNG is defined by post count on this form. For example, the OP is technically an FNG, though he may have spent more time lurking around the form than many WKRs and be a DADDY in spirit.
I really don't spend a lot of time lurking, just not my thing. I post from time to time amd ask questions when I don't understand something about western states hunting.

bozeman

WKR
If people want to share public info, in a public manner, about public land…….yeah, we need to limit that (SMH). You can def tell those who are having a harder time getting their ‘grip and grin’.

WKR

WKR
If people want to share public info, in a public manner, about public land…….yeah, we need to limit that (SMH). You can def tell those who are having a harder time getting their ‘grip and grin’.
Your name and address could be considered public information. Do you want that shared all over? How about your phone number?

Just making a point... but I'm sure the scammers would love all the info you make available

bozeman

WKR
That would be my personal info…unlike public land. How does that compare? It’s not ‘your’ land people are discussing…..

Gila

WKR
Nevermind Meateater! Newberg makes a career of it! Every week there’s a new video on how and where to apply! How that guy sleeps at night is beyond me.
Newberg put out a video about scouting a “famous” NM unit. Yea, it’s difficult to draw but showing the entire world where to hunt in the unit?

Gila

WKR
I get a kick out of these outlanders who do all of their e-scouting and don’t do any boots on the ground scouting what-so-ever. Then they come down here and start hunting on the wrong side of the unit because they were told that the elk are everywhere! LOL

There is a part in Lords of the Fly, that talks about how I don't own a spot, but I do own the time, knowledge, and fuel it took to find. And that is nothing I'm willing to just give away.

When someone wants to hack a photo or in some other way poach a spot, I see that as pretty low, but...

If you want to know something in general about an specific unit that's fine. A lot of this stuff that is asked is not a secret. I'm not aware of a elk unit that dosen't have any elk. I'm also ure if I blasted my units that would not make someone automatically successful.

The general quality of a unit is already baked into the unit metrics in terms of draw odds and/or the points it will take to draw the tag.

I think we are getting a little carried away with out egos thinking that a random dude in a basement is going to blow up a unit compared to the big guns out there.

Just my two cents

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That would be my personal info…unlike public land. How does that compare? It’s not ‘your’ land people are discussing…..
Land ownership is public. Just go look at maps with property information. It is set up to be easy to learn who owns land, but not easy to learn what land someone owns. At least in the formats I use.