Posting someone else's land ?

Titan_Bow

WKR
So here is the scenario, this is Colorado elk hunting.. A public Forest Service road dead ends at a locked gate and an ancient No Tresspassing sign. I've been able to box around this private land for a couple of miles, to access a corner of public land that was getting almost no hunting pressure.
The problem is, the last two years, I've noticed several instances where people on ATVs have circumvented this old locked gate, and road ATVs the mile or so across private, then continue onto public. I've literally been sitting glassing elk, only to see them bail out of the valley as the drone of an ATV comes up valley.
So, this got me thinking, what if I went down to Jax or Murdochs, bought some fresh No Tresspassing signs, and posted the gate and private road? A. Would that be legal for me to do? Do you think theres an ethical boundary I would be crossing? B. Do you think it would prevent someone or at least make them second guess ?

So here is the scenario, this is Colorado elk hunting.. A public Forest Service road dead ends at a locked gate and an ancient No Tresspassing sign. I've been able to box around this private land for a couple of miles, to access a corner of public land that was getting almost no hunting pressure.
The problem is, the last two years, I've noticed several instances where people on ATVs have circumvented this old locked gate, and road ATVs the mile or so across private, then continue onto public. I've literally been sitting glassing elk, only to see them bail out of the valley as the drone of an ATV comes up valley.
So, this got me thinking, what if I went down to Jax or Murdochs, bought some fresh No Tresspassing signs, and posted the gate and private road? A. Would that be legal for me to do? Do you think theres an ethical boundary I would be crossing? B. Do you think it would prevent someone or at least make them second guess ?

Ever thought that maybe they have permission from the landowner to use the property?
Sounds like a good way to get yourself into some legal trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Is the property owner living nearby the gate or is this just raw land someone owns and uses occasionally?

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Couldnt tell you the legality of it all but it seems like the best solution would be to contact the land owner and ask if they would mind if you posted it.

Thanks, yeah, that's probably the best route to take. I can look them up on onx. I know I have no idea whether or not these people have permission to cross the land, but I did have a conversation wth a guy last year who was a nonresident that had rode a dirtbike up there. I asked him if it was OK to ride up here because I saw the land was private at the gate, and his response was "Oh, I dont know, I just rode around the gate since its public up here"

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Is the property owner living nearby the gate or is this just raw land someone owns and uses occasionally?

There is no one living nearby that I can see, its just a parcel of private that the road cuts through

I have seen folks post no tresspassing signs public land more than once...I just laugh and go about my business.

I don't know the law in CO, but in my former state the landowner needed to put his signature (maybe date too, don't remember) on the no trespassing sign in order for them to be valid. So check out the state laws and then get a hold of him. With permission, I used to post land that I had permission to hunt on. I bought the signs and brought them over to the farmer each year and had a good BS session. Who knows, you tell him you'll keep an eye on it and keep it clean and he may give you exclusive access to it.

Erict

WKR
Instead of contacting the landowner to ask if you can post their land, maybe the simpler option is to ask permission to hunt and/or cross their land. If you get past that hurdle, you could then offer to put up signs on their behalf, if they desired.

Unlikely, but the signs you saw may not even have been put up by the owner. I used to work with a guy who found a honey hole on a popular trout stream. He had no permission nor even knew the landowner, but pasted the streamside with posted signs - he pretty much had the best stretch of river to himself with his illegal signs.

Good luck!