Possible move to Wyoming-Cheyenne

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Heya all!
I just had a question regarding Wyoming, I might have a job lined up there in the next two months. I was wondering how does getting your residence work? I’ve googled it and it seems a little weird. I might buy house already as I got the loan together but not sure if that qualifies as resident.

Also, are the archery only otc tags available all season? I got a lot of research to do if I make the move! Appreciate it all!

gman82001

WKR
As stated make sure you can handle the wind. It’s not like oh it’s windy today, think 60mph wind 24hrs a day for 10 days at a whack. Some days even stronger. I grew up in sw wyo and thought that was windy but once we moved here I realized I’d never cancelled plans because of wind lol

Lived here 20 years now and it’s definitely not like the Wyoming people think of when they say ohhh I wanna move to Wyoming.

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
As stated make sure you can handle the wind. It’s not like oh it’s windy today, think 60mph wind 24hrs a day for 10 days at a whack. Some days even stronger. I grew up in sw wyo and thought that was windy but once we moved here I realized I’d never cancelled plans because of wind lol

Lived here 20 years now and it’s definitely not like the Wyoming people think of when they say ohhh I wanna move to Wyoming.
I appreciate the insight, I grew up in the desert and used to pretty good winds, not quite like that but for the opportunity ahead of me I’ll deal with it haha.

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
How do you feel about hurricanes? Well, the wind part, not the rain…
Well I’d say I’m used to interesting weather living at 7.5k feet currently. Have 100 ft+ pines on the property that like to come down in the winds haha 😬 definitely be something to get used to.

gman82001

WKR
Good deal you can pm me if you have anything specific you’d like to know about and don’t want to ask in the post. And just a heads up seeing you’re from California you’re going to get some snide looks and possible comments but they happen for a reason so I’m just going to say don’t try and “California”Wyoming

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Good deal you can pm me if you have anything specific you’d like to know about and don’t want to ask in the post. And just a heads up seeing you’re from California you’re going to get some snide looks and possible comments but they happen for a reason so I’m just going to say don’t try and “California”Wyoming
Oh I know, I’ve read some things for sure. Born and raised here in CA, doesn’t mean I agree with this states politics and policy lol I hunt fish off road and have a gun in my truck 😝. I live in a Mountain community its the coastal cities that have the power in the way of politics. Hard to fight those numbers. I get you though, I’ll be changing the plates on the truck asap lol.

gman82001

WKR
Sounds like you get it unlike a lot of the people moving out. Hopefully it works out for you and you can get out here. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but we live a bit out of town on some acreage and love it here. I can shoot my guns and my bow any time I want.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I liked living in Cheyenne, but the wind definitely wears on you. Wind chill in the winter is no joke. Drifting & blowing snow can make travel interesting. It can take several passes to clear snow off your driveway, sometimes for a couple days after it stops snowing!
Medicine Bow mountains, Curt Gowdy State Park, the Snowies are all pretty close. Great big game hunting & fishing.
Once you know for sure on the job, get a mailing address & transfer your license & truck registration.

jimh406

WKR
You are going to burn a year assuming you move before the drawing starts assuming you want to apply in a draw. On the plus side, it will be only one year, and you won't be in CA anymore.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
People say they can handle strong wind and then they live in it….

I lived in an area that from March until October had minimum 40 mph winds with 60-70 mph winds being a very regular nightly occurrence. The summer that I moved away in 2020 we had 85 mph gusts on the anemometer with 60 mph sustained winds in July. It would go from 100 degrees plus during the day to a temp and wind chill factor combining to be below freezing.

Living in a place with wind like that greatly affects your life and what you can do with potential land (ours was 200 acres).

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Oh I know, I’ve read some things for sure. Born and raised here in CA, doesn’t mean I agree with this states politics and policy lol I hunt fish off road and have a gun in my truck 😝. I live in a Mountain community its the coastal cities that have the power in the way of politics. Hard to fight those numbers. I get you though, I’ll be changing the plates on the truck asap lol.
Keep the plates in your truck and risk getting pulled over instead of leaving them on your truck in Wyoming. You’re welcome.

Super tag

WKR
Honestly I don’t think any other place in the west compares to what you are in store for, and i don’t think you’ll really know unless you make the move. Winters are long….

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Oh I know, I’ve read some things for sure. Born and raised here in CA, doesn’t mean I agree with this states politics and policy lol I hunt fish off road and have a gun in my truck 😝. I live in a Mountain community its the coastal cities that have the power in the way of politics. Hard to fight those numbers. I get you though I’ll be changing the plates on the truck asap lol.
I liked living in Cheyenne, but the wind definitely wears on you. Wind chill in the winter is no joke. Drifting & blowing snow can make travel interesting. It can take several passes to clear snow off your driveway, sometimes for a couple days after it stops snowing!
Medicine Bow mountains, Curt Gowdy State Park, the Snowies are all pretty close. Great big game hunting & fishing.
Once you know for sure on the job, get a mailing address & transfer your license & truck registration.
appreciate that info sir, yeah right now I live at 7.5k feet and dealt with a hell of a winter up here with 10 ft snow storms and 70mph wind storms dropping my pine trees lol definitely will be checking those areas out. I bow hunt 85% of the time I look forward to the hunting season when I get my residency!

TaperPin

WKR
Wind in southern Wyoming is like rain on Kodiak - you make friends with it - you have to. You will eventually see a semi or uhaul blow over in front of you - and learn why it’s never a good idea to swerve to avoid an antelope - defensive driving pays dividends.

What I liked about Cheyenne is you’re close to the Front Range of Colorado so in a few hours there are professional sports, great shopping, lots of good food, some of the best microbrews, and a few hours more there is world class skiing.

Going an hour into the Snowy Range you have a nice area for day hikes or backpacking with little high lakes and a lot of brookies.

Two hours from Laramie has a lot of public land and great antelope.

In 5 hours the Wind River Range is world famous for backpacking.

In 7 hours you’re in the middle of region G.