A point in right direction

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all!

My move to Wyoming has been postponed, job fell through for now. Did get a job up in San Jose, CA, (Moved from Big Bear Lake) trying to figure out the nearest public hunting area and coming up short. Anyone know of some public land around? I been seeing dead wild boars In the road, wondering if it’s time to ask around for land access but not sure how that will go up here.

Any info on legal hunting areas around here i appreciate it. I bow hunt 95% of the time so it might be easier to find spots. Although might try my hand at Bay fishing 🎣

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Getting permission to hunt private property is all but impossible in Ca. I know, I have tried many times and always got pretty much the same answer, NO, we don't like hunters killing out animals. At that point I knew I was screwed, so I told them, they are not your animals. There is access on Ft. Hunter Ligget in the King city area. Other than that most of the guides have the rights to property pretty much sowed up. They pay the owners a fee for access to bring on paying hunters. It's a business and the ranchers/farmers are businessmen.

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Damn, I appreciate that info. Sounds like it’s going to be rough in this area. Might be better off going fishing. LOL
I’ve always looked at Fort Hunter, Liggett, think I’m gonna see what the process looks like to get access.

Rob5589

WKR
You're basically living in hog heaven. Unfortunately it's just about 100% private land. You usually have to "know a guy" that knows a property owner. There are guided hunts in the area if you're looking for that. Your other options are the fish and wildlife management areas. Not loaded with animals but it's free generally. CDFW website has all the info. Good luck!

On a side note; I loved BB when I was a kid. My grandparents had a cabin near Fawnskin. My Gramps would take me out in an aluminum boat and duck hunt on the lake. Lots of fishing too. Haven't been in decades, wouldn't even recognize it.

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
You're basically living in hog heaven. Unfortunately it's just about 100% private land. You usually have to "know a guy" that knows a property owner. There are guided hunts in the area if you're looking for that. Your other options are the fish and wildlife management areas. Not loaded with animals but it's free generally. CDFW website has all the info. Good luck!

On a side note; I loved BB when I was a kid. My grandparents had a cabin near Fawnskin. My Gramps would take me out in an aluminum boat and duck hunt on the lake. Lots of fishing too. Haven't been in decades, wouldn't even recognize it.
Appreciate it brother, yeah, I’m looking at the app OnX not looking too good. Crazy that so much land can be owned in one spot. I’m used to the San bardino National in Forest, all the BML down there and the Angeles national Forest. Public land.
Not much one for a guided hunt, also too poor for one.

Yeah, big bear was a beautiful place to get married and start my family getting a job that paid good enough up there was the bad part. Super touristy now, the mayor caters to every tourists and forgets about the citizens that live there unfortunately.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Appreciate it brother, yeah, I’m looking at the app OnX not looking too good. Crazy that so much land can be owned in one spot. I’m used to the San bardino National in Forest, all the BML down there and the Angeles national Forest. Public land.
Not much one for a guided hunt, also too poor for one.

Yeah, big bear was a beautiful place to get married and start my family getting a job that paid good enough up there was the bad part. Super touristy now, the mayor caters to every tourists and forgets about the citizens that live there unfortunately.
I have got hogs every trip I hunted with the guide I use. My grandson just got one this past aug.

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
I have got hogs every trip I hunted with the guide I use. My grandson just got one this past aug.
If you Can shoot me the info for the guide I’ll look into it, i appreciate it! Could be something to pass by the Wife for the ok lol