Cheyenne Wyoming distance to decent elk/deer ?

Jason277

WKR
Hello all , this is a question for you guys that live in Cheyenne Wyoming. I just curious how far you have to drive to decent elk / deer hunting opportunities. I’m not looking for honey hole or anything like that . If you prefer to pm, it’s up to you . Thank you in advance. Jason

go_deep

WKR
Seen a pretty nice 6 point with 5 cows in the I-25 and I-80 clover leaf a few years back. So, I guess you don't have to leave town.

gman82001

WKR
General elk 100 miles or so there’s some draw tags that used to be awesome closer but really went down hill.

Deer unless you know someone is gonna be similar but even then not too great. We used to hunt a ranch close by for whitetail but that went away a couple seasons ago.

TaperPin

WKR
When I lived in Laramie it was a no brainer to drive to the western side of the state. If driving 8 hrs is a deal breaker for great hunting I can’t help.

jofes

WKR
If you're cool with shooting a cow late in the season, I think there's good hunting in the area. If you're looking to be by yourself and see a lot of critters you're going to have to travel.

jofes

WKR
We found an area closer than that with a bunch of elk, but so did everyone else, on the opener I had rounds going over my head, fun times.

TaperPin

WKR
Damn I was hoping for something closer!
There are elk in the Snowy Mountains, but in a general hunting season you‘re sharing it with crowds from Laramie and Cheyenne. There is mule deer hunting in the Snowies, but you have to hunt around large patches of private ranch land to access much of it.

As a kid full of energy, in great shape and a month off ever fall I hunted general admission areas in the Snowies hard for half a dozen years - time is much better spent in either harder to draw limited quota areas, or the western part of the state. Leaving Laramie at 3:00pm Friday afternoon and setting up camp at 11:00, and hunting first thing Saturday morning doesn’t seem too bad to me.

The sagebrush and foothill/aspen country closer to Rawlins always produces some big racks each year - that’s where the locals in Rawlings hunt.

The limited quota sagebrush elk herds have high success - reminds me of antelope hunting.

Stay away from casper mountain.

If you just want to kill something, pay one of the ranches and shoot a cow elk off their haystack in a late season.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
There are elk in the Snowy Mountains, but in a general hunting season you‘re sharing it with crowds from Laramie and Cheyenne. There is mule deer hunting in the Snowies, but you have to hunt around large patches of private ranch land to access much of it.

As a kid full of energy, in great shape and a month off ever fall I hunted general admission areas in the Snowies hard for half a dozen years - time is much better spent in either harder to draw limited quota areas, or the western part of the state. Leaving Laramie at 3:00pm Friday afternoon and setting up camp at 11:00, and hunting first thing Saturday morning doesn’t seem too bad to me.

The sagebrush and foothill/aspen country closer to Rawlins always produces some big racks each year - that’s where the locals in Rawlings hunt.

The limited quota sagebrush elk herds have high success - reminds me of antelope hunting.

Stay away from casper mountain.

If you just want to kill something, pay one of the ranches and shoot a cow elk off their haystack in a late season.
Got you, I'm an Archery elk hunter who does mostly Wildness hunting. Dont want to shoot an elk in someone's field. Ha!

TaperPin

WKR
If someone from a foreign country didn’t know anything about hunting, or even the name of the state, and you told them all the people live in the south eastern corner of the state and they were looking for animals that live in mountains - one quick look at this map and where do you think they would guess the best odds are?167DCB44-BBC4-4B18-94F6-09E8762FAE86.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello all , this is a question for you guys that live in Cheyenne Wyoming. I just curious how far you have to drive to decent elk / deer hunting opportunities. I’m not looking for honey hole or anything like that . If you prefer to pm, it’s up to you . Thank you in advance. Jason
Resident or nr?

NR, if you burnt your points, or just starting, it's random draw for the rest of your hunting life.

Resident....pick the closest gen area and start learning it.

go_deep

WKR
Washington, no I’m not woke or trying to change anything in Wyoming!
That isn't why asked. I was more interested in small town Washington, or big town Washington.
Cheyenne is a big small town, has lots to offer to keep a family happy, but your going to travel for most hunting opportunities. Even the views for the most part are not "Western", it's high plains desert.