MONTANA TO TEXAS - a possible move

kkp005

WKR
Oh man this is good….
Lived in TX my whole live so I guess I am one of those nice assholes.

I think it’s a great place to live. I live in a small town (5k ish people). I’m right between Dallas and Houston along with being about 40 miles east of college station. Great small town feel but access to anything you need in less than an hour.

Summers suck. I work in the melt shop of a steel mill so it realllly sucks 😂.

Access to public land isn’t the greatest but there is Davey Crockett NF in East Texas and some giant white tails are killed there. Luckily I’ve always been blessed to have family land to hunt.

I’d try it out and move on down! Get involved in the community/local church and I’m sure you’ll be able to gain access to some local hunting.

Blandry

WKR
I'll bring ya some real mexican food and bbq when I'm passing thru in Sept. I know you haven't had any in CO! ;)

I'm tempted to fly down for one day just to enjoy some. It looks like restaurant cooked taco bell and bill miller bbq up here :).

I forgot to mention the duck hunting and access to the gulf coast are HUGE pluses. I miss saltwater fishing really bad since moving up here. I could be on the water in 3 hours out of port aransas and the spring break bikinis down in south padre weren't bad to look while drinking beer either.

Last edited:

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man this is good….
Lived in TX my whole live so I guess I am one of those nice assholes.

I think it’s a great place to live. I live in a small town (5k ish people). I’m right between Dallas and Houston along with being about 40 miles east of college station. Great small town feel but access to anything you need in less than an hour.

Summers suck. I work in the melt shop of a steel mill so it realllly sucks 😂.

Access to public land isn’t the greatest but there is Davey Crockett NF in East Texas and some giant white tails are killed there. Luckily I’ve always been blessed to have family land to hunt.

I’d try it out and move on down! Get involved in the community/local church and I’m sure you’ll be able to gain access to some local hunting.
Pretty hilarious seeing grown-assed men cry about hot weather! Ya, it's hot.....but damn....my wife and kids don't cry that fuggin much!

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
I'm tempted to fly down for one day just to enjoy some. It looks like restaurant cooked taco bell and bill miller bbq up here :).

I forgot to mention the duck hunting and access to the gulf coast are HUGE pluses. I miss saltwater fishing really bad since moving up here. I could be on the water in 3 hours out of port aransas and the spring break bikinis down in south padre weren't bad to look while drinking beer either.
Yes sir.....one thing about Texas......you can hunt and fish 365 days a year!

kkp005

WKR
Pretty hilarious seeing grown-assed men cry about hot weather! Ya, it's hot.....but damn....my wife and kids don't cry that fuggin much!
Yeah I agree. Hell of a lot better than freezing your fn nuts off half the year.

It’s a great place, wonderful food, a booming economy, affordable housing….and genuinely nice people

1jeds

FNG
I can't comment on Texas specifically (I personally wouldn't move there), but hopefully I can be of some help. My wife and I (mid 30's) were born and raised in Florida, lived their our whole lives. We have our family in Central/North Florida and Georgia. The past few years I had a strong desire to move out west because there's nothing more than the great outdoors and an active community that I enjoy.

After a few trips to MT, CO, and UT and making a pro/con list of various locations, we made the decision to move out to Utah. We've been here a year and I do not regret it one bit. Visiting family is more difficult, but I told myself that I will need to just hop on a plane more frequently and make an effort to do so. People think we're crazy for moving from a state with no income tax and dubbed the "sunshine state", but to me it's about overall positive lifestyle impact and not everything boils down to dollars and cents on paper.

My input here is to make a list of real benefits/drawbacks to moving and actually visit the places, maybe stay for a bit before moving. I didn't want to look back at my life and wonder what-if because of the potential risk of relocating. The worst case is you find out you don't like it and move back.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I would move to the Midwest, even Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky before I would move to TX. Went to Baylor on the army’s dime 15 years ago. Being a Co kid it was a shock to the system that there was no where to hunt… left there and lived in Ga for a while and then back home to Co with the army. Even with our current insane real estate and awful politics, I don’t want to leave my home state.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I lived in Centex for 16 years, from Waco to New Braunfels in 4-5 different cities, and this is spot on.

I spent the last three years in Leander, TX, in a brand new neighborhood where all of my neighbors were either from CA, the Midwest, or the East Coast. They all seemed to love it, while I was burned out by all of the people. The transplants started flooding in around 2015 and caused all of the good (spicy) mom-and-pop Mexican food places to either change their menus to more bland, or close for the first time since I'd lived there. I saw french fries and chicken tenders on tex mex restaurant menus for the first time ever. I guess the new people were requesting that stuff. I was also tired of the heat and hunting leases becoming unaffordable. When a job opened up here in CO, I jumped on it; however, CO has its own issues, lol. I did sleep with all the windows open last night at 25 degs. Love the weather!

I would move back but only near the border where the food and BBQ is better. However even that's changing rapidly due to transplants (white people lol).
I’d rather have hunters from Texas move to co, than vegans from Cali… and that is saying a lot haha

WCB

WKR
OP,

Is there a chance your wife or even you could take up skiing or a winter outdoor activity and get the kids involved and grow an interest as a family? Is the doom and gloom shared by your wife because of your health or has it just generally been a negative thought you guys have let take over?

Also, there is now way I would trade the hunting/outdoor opportunities in MT or the lifestyle for TX. There is A LOT of space in between the two you could move and have better/cheaper opportunities. You can get a few acres in TX or have millions of acres out your back door out west to roam. I would personally trade teens and snow for 100+ heat and humidity.

Kind of the same up here when we hear people complain about it being cold and snowy.

CorbLand

WKR
OP,

Is there a chance your wife or even you could take up skiing or a winter outdoor activity and get the kids involved and grow an interest as a family? Is the doom and gloom shared by your wife because of your health or has it just generally been a negative thought you guys have let take over?

Also, there is now way I would trade the hunting/outdoor opportunities in MT or the lifestyle for TX. There is A LOT of space in between the two you could move and have better/cheaper opportunities. You can get a few acres in TX or have millions of acres out your back door out west to roam. I would personally trade teens and snow for 100+ heat and humidity.

Kind of the same up here when we hear people complain about it being cold and snowy.
It always confuses me when a grown ass man can say I don’t like the heat and/or cold, so I am going to move to some place that isn’t hot and/or cold and people act like that makes them less of a man.

I consider myself a grown ass man and am getting tired of the cold. I also don’t like going to places that you can drown on dry land. So I am going to move to a place that is less cold and has less humidity.

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
It always confuses me when a grown ass man can say I don’t like the heat and/or cold, so I am going to move to some place that isn’t hot and/or cold and people act like that makes them less of a man.

I consider myself a grown ass man and am getting tired of the cold. I also don’t like going to places that you can drown on dry land. So I am going to move to a place that is less cold and has less humidity.
Where you moving to? I'm retiring in about 5 years and looking for a new resting spot myself. I do like SW CO, but the politics there look like the state is going downhill pretty quick.

Blandry

WKR
I’d rather have hunters from Texas move to co, than vegans from Cali… and that is saying a lot haha

I tried to move up to Laramie/Cheyenne last year, but it was damn near as expensive as CO, so you've got me for at least one more year.

I think that's a question that only you and your family can answer. Sounds pretty miserable for you where you're at. Is Texas going to be just another version of that or is it an upgrade in your quality of life? For me Texas is on my list of places I'd never live....mostly for the reasons jmez already stated. However, for others, there's no place better. YMMV. My last advice is try to explore other areas of the country the best you can first. How about Tennessee, Kentucky, one of the Virginia's or Carolina's?
Tennessee is filling up!

I would move to the Midwest, even Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky before I would move to TX. Went to Baylor on the army’s dime 15 years ago. Being a Co kid it was a shock to the system that there was no where to hunt… left there and lived in Ga for a while and then back home to Co with the army. Even with our current insane real estate and awful politics, I don’t want to leave my home state.
Hey man leave my neck of the woods out of this, we’re already full of Texans

My quick advice. If land and houses are cheaper, there usually is a reason. I grew up in the Midwest and live in CO now. Sure, I could sell my house, buy 20 acres and build a 5k square foot house for the same money. Why though? To show a big house? At your age chasing greener grass might seem like the right thing to do. I magine in Montana you will see more Texas plates driving around than Montana plates in Texas. Go visit in the summer and see if you can handle it. Once you move, chances of getting priced out of Montana will happen fast. Much faster than east Texas. Good luck with your decision!