Possibility of Griz hunting returning to Montana?

The fact you guys have half of your board comprised of openly anti- hunters is astounding. Your King, I mean governor, sure knows how to pick em.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Elections have consequences.

We’ve certainly seen the downsides of a Republican supermajority in Montana, but it sure as shit beats the alternative.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only reason we don't have a grizzly season is the same reason Idaho and Wyoming don't have one- anti-hunters were able to hand pick a federal judge and have it shut down.

The only reason we won't have a season in the future is the same.

Our department (and WY and ID) know that grizzles are recovered and have been recovered for a decade or more. The US Fish and Wildlife Service agrees. ALL the science is on our side.

The sad reality is that anti-hunters only have to find one sympathetic federal judge and all the science is thrown out.

I hate to say this, but the only way I see forward is repealing the ESA- an act that has helped several species that were in dire need of help. Anti- hunters instead of rejoicing when a species is recovered, have to insure that the species is never hunted.

Deadfall

WKR
I noticed when buying preference points for WY this year there was an option for Grizzly bear. You couldn't buy them or apply but the option was there. It got me thinking something is coming.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
If something does come it'll probably be a once in lifetime hunt. Wont be enough tags issued to make any difference. It'll be a huge money game. That's all. Imho...

OP
a_noob_hunter
The only reason we don't have a grizzly season is the same reason Idaho and Wyoming don't have one- anti-hunters were able to hand pick a federal judge and have it shut down.

The only reason we won't have a season in the future is the same.

Our department (and WY and ID) know that grizzles are recovered and have been recovered for a decade or more. The US Fish and Wildlife Service agrees. ALL the science is on our side.

The sad reality is that anti-hunters only have to find one sympathetic federal judge and all the science is thrown out.

I hate to say this, but the only way I see forward is repealing the ESA- an act that has helped several species that were in dire need of help. Anti- hunters instead of rejoicing when a species is recovered, have to insure that the species is never hunted.
Repealing the ESA act? Sounds like that would be quite difficult to do. Especially considering all the non-hunters and general public that would reactively vote against that.

I should do more research but if im understanding you correctly then any anti group can get a federal judge out of any state to stop a hunt that has nothing to do with their state?

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
The Lefties wont let it happen.
Doesnt have to make sense.
Much like Electric Vehicles and Wolves.
It's just what they want.
And they will throw a tantrum to make it happen.
To the detriment of everyone else.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Repealing the ESA act? Sounds like that would be quite difficult to do. Especially considering all the non-hunters and general public that would reactively vote against that.

I should do more research but if im understanding you correctly then any anti group can get a federal judge out of any state to stop a hunt that has nothing to do with their state?

When the grizzlies were first delisted (not terribly long ago) both Wyoming and Idaho proposed modest hunting seasons (Montana waited), the antis enlisted a judge from Missoula, now remember we did not propose a season at the time, and successfully got Idaho's and Wyoming's shut down. So yes, it can be a judge from another state.

You got it! That is exactly what happened.

ClearCreek

Deadfall

WKR
When the grizzlies were first delisted (not terribly long ago) both Wyoming and Idaho proposed modest hunting seasons (Montana waited), the antis enlisted a judge from Missoula, now remember we did not propose a season at the time, and successfully got Idaho's and Wyoming's shut down. So yes, it can be a judge from another state.
By all rights that judge should be disbarded. Then again...kinda just par for the judicial system

Scoot

WKR
Too many pussies in the west now.
Yup, and idiots. ...and the combo of the two! Transplants from the city who have no damn clue whatsoever! MT can look at CO to see where the future is headed in that regard. It's turning left and it's ugly. It's also very relevant to issues like this one. Those leftist, clueless, citiots cast votes and so many of the long-time-locals don't. Sad deal...

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’m not against a grizzly season by any means, but if there were a season, are these bears edible? I’ve eaten a few black bears and it’s one of my favorite game meats, but I’ve always heard that grizzly / brown bears would no bueno when it came to table fare. Is that primarily a coastal bear thing or is that griz in general?
A bear skin trappers coat would be a cool thing to have made from one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never ate it; like you I've found black bear isn't too bad (wouldn't go as far as one of favorites though)

Probably like a black bear, a lot would depend on what they're eating

MNGrouser

FNG
And it was (no surprise) a California Federal Judge who struck down the wolf hunts in the upper great lakes states (MN, MI & WI). Makes no sense.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Elections have consequences.

We’ve certainly seen the downsides of a Republican supermajority in Montana, but it sure as shit beats the alternative.
You realize you quoted me on a reply dealing with Washington's wildlife board, not Montana's, right? Yes, elections do have consequences, and Washington's governor gets to personally appoint everyone on the wildlife board there.

You realize you quoted me on a reply dealing with Washington's wildlife board, not Montana's, right? Yes, elections do have consequences, and Washington's governor gets to personally appoint everyone on the wildlife board there.

I’m aware.

I’m just pointing out that we’ve seen bad results for hunters on both sides of the isle, however one party does seem to be far worse for hunters.

I’m not against a grizzly season by any means, but if there were a season, are these bears edible? I’ve eaten a few black bears and it’s one of my favorite game meats, but I’ve always heard that grizzly / brown bears would no bueno when it came to table fare. Is that primarily a coastal bear thing or is that griz in general?
A bear skin trappers coat would be a cool thing to have made from one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve eaten a good amount of interior AK grizz. Taste. Good to me. Usually make sausage from it. Coastal grizz/within 20-100 miles of the ocean depending on the salmon in the area is where the meat starts getting a little more off putting.

OP
a_noob_hunter
I’ve eaten a good amount of interior AK grizz. Taste. Good to me. Usually make sausage from it. Coastal grizz/within 20-100 miles of the ocean depending on the salmon in the area is where the meat starts getting a little more off putting.
Any experience with interior griz? I wonder if a springtime griz would be decent, or how it would compare to a fall bear?

Any experience with interior griz? I wonder if a springtime griz would be decent, or how it would compare to a fall bear?

I’ve had interior spring and fall grizz.

I think spring bear is better, they’ve been chilling doing nothing and a lot of the fat is gone. I don’t think there is really as much of a difference for interior bears. Especially because I just turn it all into sausage/burger mix in some pork fat.