Portable steel target setup

wesfromky

WKR
Anyone have a portable steel setup they like? Probably fine with just a single 4" or maybe 6" target a couple feet off the ground. Lighter is better, but should be able to take a bit of abuse.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a plate hanger from Cabela’s, it’s just a basic metal frame with a few chains/hooks to hang a plate. I can take it apart and load it on my snow machine so I can go shoot long range in the spring.

I’ve also got o e that just sticks in the ground, I keep it about 50 yards off my back porch with a 2” steel plate so I can take a crack at it with my 22 anytime I want.

TaperPin

WKR
T posts are cheap and easy to set with a pounder, but two posts, the pounder and targets are too much to carry in one trip.

A set of Trojan saw horses hold up pretty good and are light enough to throw over a shoulder so it’s one trip to get set up. I wouldn’t buy them new, but mine were $5 at a yard sale. The metal is heavy enough to resist shrapnel for the most part.62B9B9E0-178F-4C62-AE53-C0C55FF1F778.jpeg

Fatcamp

WKR
I have a metal sawhorse with an 8" plate chained beneath it.

Works great but a hassle to carry. Need to figure out a strap for the steel when transporting.

I bought a 10” plate from Walmart, added a piece of chain and two sets of bolts, nuts and washers. I have taken it to the woods several times and hung it from various trees. I think the entire cost was under $50.

I’ve got one of these. Pretty easy to pack in/out. Biggest target I’ve hung off it was a life size coyote.

Lawnboi

WKR

Iv got a bunch of stuff from the above company, a recreational shooter probably won’t ever wear out one of those hooks.

I have his portable ar500 post as well that’s taken an absolute beating and has held up with zero issues.

Chain and fire hose will fail, and bolts in your targets will fail, or make the target fail.

Iv got a bunch of stuff from the above company, a recreational shooter probably won’t ever wear out one of those hooks.

I have his portable ar500 post as well that’s taken an absolute beating and has held up with zero issues.

Chain and fire hose will fail, and bolts in your targets will fail, or make the target fail.
These hooks aren't the save all either. Plate will hop off the hook, or twist off.

Using carriage bolts vs regular hex bolts will help a ton as they deflect much better. Chain will take much less hits than fire hose, but for a guy that is going out setting up and taking down all of these will work well.

With the hooks we have doubled them up (opposing) before to try to keep plates from coming of the hooks

Lawnboi

WKR
These hooks aren't the save all either. Plate will hop off the hook, or twist off.

Using carriage bolts vs regular hex bolts will help a ton as they deflect much better. Chain will take much less hits than fire hose, but for a guy that is going out setting up and taking down all of these will work well.

With the hooks we have doubled them up (opposing) before to try to keep plates from coming of the hooks
With the style books you posted that can be an issue. But with the above you can lock the target on with a bolt, at the rear of the target so it dosnt get shot up. His prior design was a square peg and has been issue free for me when it comes to target failures.

With the style books you posted that can be an issue. But with the above you can lock the target on with a bolt, at the rear of the target so it dosnt get shot up. His prior design was a square peg and has been issue free for me when it comes to target failures.
That would help, being able to thread a locking bolt in

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have tried the "A" style brackets with conduit, I've found if you don't bolt/pin them then they collapse and its funky setting them up to a degree. Also depending on the distance and caliber they can flip if not anchored. Frankly I found them less than ideal to tote around a loose pile of pipes.

I have been using these light stanley saw horses to easily set up and hold a cardboard sheet (its all connected together and folds up so its easy to deploy) for targets. I added some anchors to the feet and tried them with steel plates but the bullet splash is eating into the thin gauge metal quickly. I've ordered some pieces of 1/16" thick steel box tube to replace the pieces with to see if that holds up better. TBD if beefing up the steel legs/cross body work but I absolutely found carrying and deploying these far more desirable than the "A" brackets and conduit.
1724600554804.png

I have tried the "A" style brackets with conduit, I've found if you don't bolt/pin them then they collapse and its funky setting them up to a degree. Also depending on the distance and caliber they can flip if not anchored. Frankly I found them less than ideal to tote around a loose pile of pipes.

I have been using these light stanley saw horses to easily set up and hold a cardboard sheet (its all connected together and folds up so its easy to deploy) for targets. I added some anchors to the feet and tried them with steel plates but the bullet splash is eating into the thin gauge metal quickly. I've ordered some pieces of 1/16" thick steel box tube to replace the pieces with to see if that holds up better. TBD if beefing up the steel legs/cross body work but I absolutely found carrying and deploying these far more desirable than the "A" brackets and conduit.
View attachment 755493
If we strat talking cardboard then think about this.
Take a five gallon bucket, cut top down 4 or 5", slip your cardboard in the cuts. If you need to paint a 10" circle like for cold bore challenge the back you can use as a template.
-on the way to the outdoors you can throw paint or stapler targets whatever in your bucket.
-Use whatever is sitting around for weight to anchor the bucket down at shooting spot like rocks, bark, dirt.
-on way home can store your trash and range gear.

Attachments

• 20230606_100149.jpg
    20230606_100149.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230605_132902.jpg
    20230605_132902.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 22

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If we strat talking cardboard then think about this.
Take a five gallon bucket, cut top down 4 or 5", slip your cardboard in the cuts. If you need to paint a 10" circle like for cold bore challenge the back you can use as a template.
-on the way to the outdoors you can throw paint or stapler targets whatever in your bucket.
-Use whatever is sitting around for weight to anchor the bucket down at shooting spot like rocks, bark, dirt.
-on way home can store your trash and range gear.
I’m often shooting in grasslands so not much ballast without a shovel so the sawhorses work well for cardboard.

But that is a good idea on other locations.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I have been using these and been happy with them.
I like the tool less setup and take down.
Downside is the splash embeds copper in the leg brackets and you have to be careful or you can cut yourself up badly.