Polartec Alpha vs High Loft Fleece

Read an interesting article on Alpha insulation which I will link to. I have been interested in picking up a piece, but am curious about its durability. Most of us are not Special Ops type guys. Anyone with experience with Polartec Alpha like it better than high loft or R2 type fleece pieces? Is it just as durable as regular high loft fleece?

btindall

FNG
I tested it for durability for 5 months and thought it was a solid choice to make a product out of. It dries very fast, held up very well to washing, and fibers loss to the dryer was very little. I thought it was Polartec's best insulation that they offer for breathability, compressibility and heat retention. The product is Berry Compliant, but time will only tell how long it will last compared to their 100 and 200 series loft fleece.

OP
L
I tested it for durability for 5 months and thought it was a solid choice to make a product out of. It dries very fast, held up very well to washing, and fibers loss to the dryer was very little. I thought it was Polartec's best insulation that they offer for breathability, compressibility and heat retention. The product is Berry Compliant, but time will only tell how long it will last compared to their 100 and 200 series loft fleece.
Which products using the Polartec Alpha do you like and recommend?

btindall

FNG
I would recommend any Alpha Direct garment with higher than 140 g/ms, anything lighter would not justify the cost that companies are charging.

H80Hunter

WKR
I bought a Rab Alpha flash jacket and I love that thing. It’s my go to now over a merino base layer with a shell over that.

The alpha flash stands out because it had no lining on either side. I know the outdoor research ascendant has the alpha inside and a more normal jacket shell on the outside. Rab makes one like that too.

I’m considering the Rab flash alpha but want to wait until Sitka releases its 2022 lineup. I have a feeling they are gonna release something with alpha.

jd1006

WKR
You can get the Kelvin Active Hoody (Shacket/ Belichick ) very discounted right now. It has the alpha direct insulation. I think its a great option for being on the move and for layering. I also like the arcteryx Proton FL. That’s a full jacket w/hood and has a quiet/breathable outerlayer combined with the same type of alpha direct insulation.