Pistol brace news

mi650

WKR
It's going to be deemed unconstitutional. Supreme court already said ATF can create legislation like this. The scary part is they passed it anyway knowing it would get shot down. They just don't care to hide it anymore.
Yes, if it gets before the current SCOTUS. Depending on how long it takes, could be a crap shoot.

Remember the legal gymnastics behind Obamacare?

For those who don't know who this is, he's an attorney who travels the country taking on difficult/complex 2A cases. He's fighting the good fight. If we had a couple hundred more lawyers like him, we'd have the 2A back.

Watched this video this morning. This is about the best explanation that I have seen of what their actions will be. Straight from a person, said "They will take enforcement action" after your 88 day no-activity period has run out.

mi650

WKR
Watched this video this morning. This is about the best explanation that I have seen of what their actions will be. Straight from a person, said "They will take enforcement action" after your 88 day no-activity period has run out.
Those of you familiar with LaRue Tactical might recognize this dillo. For those who aren't, Mark LaRue made 1000 of these dillos as a fundraiser for Steve Stamboule (sp), aka 'nolocontendre' aka 'nolo', the lawyer in the video above. $50 each, and so far, there have been 8 rounds of these dillos, so $400,000 donated. Mark has said anytime nolo needs funds, he'll do another round.

rv61PRq.jpg

(I have 2 complete sets.)

jbach50

FNG
Ok ok ok.
Let's say someone was willing to comply.
How do they give you 120 days to register.
When it takes 180 plus to get a stamp approval?
Bingo!!! By registering your SBR, you will be incriminating yourself.

Hear me out.... What if your your background check is denied, or incomplete after 88 days? My understanding is it's automatically denied after 88 days. Millions of new registries, and we're to have confidence in the ATF to complete ALL of those backgrounds? That's rhetorical :). By registering, you've just admitted that you're in violation as of the new ruling, you've sent pictures as proof, you've provided your address for future enforcement.

I don't see this ending well for all of those gung ho about getting a free stamp.

Just my opinion, but by registering your SBR, you will not only become a criminal, but you will be incriminating yourself.

Hear me out.... What if your your background check is denied, or incomplete after 88 days? My understanding is it's automatically denied after 88 days. Millions of new registries and we have confidence in the ATF to complete ALL of those backgrounds? That's rhetorical :). By registering, you've just admitted that you're in violation as of the new ruling, you've sent pictures as proof, you've provided your address for future enforcement.

I don't see this ending well for all of those gung ho about getting a free stamp.
For me specifically. I already have a registered sbr, so owning the parts is not criminal for me, as long as there not assembled on something else.

jbach50

FNG
100% agree with this guy. We're supposed to believe the ATF can complete millions of background checks prior to being autodenied after 88 days. Puleaze, this is the federal govt we're talking about here.

Found this in the inbox this morning...

1674584342109.png

Can't really blame them for trying to clear out inventory, but now the trap seems to be set by both Govnt and Retail.

Agreed. Interpretation and application of the law or rule by the respective agency is often more important than the actual law. in my opinion there is a clear intent from the BATF to come after AR style pistols.

The bump stock litigation took years, I’d expect just as long, if not longer, on this one too. But until the rule is challenged and deemed unconstitutional it would stand and be enforceable.
So do you recommend just removing the brace or applying for the stamp? What would be the outcome of applying for the stamp and then the rule being thrown out if you did the SBR route? We can’t undo the change, right?

BjornF16

WKR
So do you recommend just removing the brace or applying for the stamp? What would be the outcome of applying for the stamp and then the rule being thrown out if you did the SBR route? We can’t undo the change, right?
If you apply, it’s like saying the F word in front of your mom…

That said, if you decide to apply, I wouldn’t keep the brace; I’d just get a legit adjustable stock (once stamp approved).

If you just don’t want a SBR and the hassle/limitations that goes with; I’d wait to see what happens in the courts.

I’ve already got a couple of SBRs…I don’t think having a couple of idle barrels will get me in trouble.

My fear is SCOTUS will uphold the ruling based on Congress passing 1934 NFA

If you apply, it’s like saying the F word in front of your mom…

That said, if you decide to apply, I wouldn’t keep the brace; I’d just get a legit adjustable stock (once stamp approved).

If you just don’t want a SBR and the hassle/limitations that goes with; I’d wait to see what happens in the courts.

I’ve already got a couple of SBRs…I don’t think having a couple of idle barrels will get me in trouble.

My fear is SCOTUS will uphold the ruling based on Congress passing 1934 NFA
I was contemplating replacing the brace with a stock if I apply. I don’t use it for a vehicle or travel anywhere with it so the rules for carrying the SBR that most would find bothersome don’t really factor in. I picked mine up based on the price tag mostly. Thanks for the reply. I was curious what most people are doing as I’ve got friends suggesting both routes.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’d like educated opinions on my plan…. I am by no means an expert. I’m more of an archery guy, I didn’t even know what “SBR” stood for a few days ago.

I recently acquired a Ruger PC Charger, which for those that aren’t familiar with it, is a cool little 9mm stormtrooper looking pistol. I should have a suppressor for it within the next 30-60 days (paperwork back in April). I plan to add a folding brace to it.

Pisses me off that this rule came down last week for multiple reasons, but it’s just not a hill I’m willing to die on.

I am not planning on doing the free tax stamp for an existing SBR, but I am planning to file for a form 1 (build) and pay the $200.

I’m told by my gun shop that the “fine print” is different between the traditional form 1 application and this new “Free” one (which apparently has some scary terms in it?). However, I have not verified that yet.

I don’t like the idea of not traveling across state lines with an SBR, but to me it reads that if I just remove the brace I should have no problem leaving TX?

Anyway, am I a commie bastard sell-out for going this route? Are there more downsides to this plan that I should consider before deciding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m told by my gun shop that the “fine print” is different between the traditional form 1 application and this new “Free” one (which apparently has some scary terms in it?). However, I have not verified that yet.

So the gun shop guy suggested you do the regular form 1 or don’t do anything or that is your assumption based on what he said about it?

In other words, what are the scary words/verbiage that have put him off on the free route?

Bluefish

WKR
So the gun shop guy suggested you do the regular form 1 or don’t do anything or that is your assumption based on what he said about it?

In other words, what are the scary words/verbiage that have put him off on the free route?
I think it’s because you have to admit to already owning a sbr to get the free stamp. I think the logic is also that since it has a brace (stock) it’s not a pistol, but a rifle. If you go a normal form 1, you just say you have a pistol to convert to a SBR. It never gets the stock on it until you get a stamp. So if you take the stock off (brace is now a stock) it is still a pistol and can be treated as such, vs have a sbr the atf considered made from a rifle. Almost semantics, but that seems to be how the atf is going.

As far as interstate travel, I believe if you return it to a non nfa state, ie for a rifle, long barrel or for a pistol, no stock it can be taken across state lines Or you can ask for approval.