Pistol brace news

Bluefish

WKR
The problem is they are considering a bare buffer tube as complete as well.
i think it’s a bit unclear, but if the pistol requires a buffer tube to function, then it is not a ”stock”. If you but a buffer tube on a receiver than doesn’t need one, then it is a brace/stock. Considering the rule is almost 300 pages to define a single line in a law, I don’t think it achieved its goal of clarifying the ATF’s position.

i think it’s a bit unclear, but if the pistol requires a buffer tube to function, then it is not a ”stock”. If you but a buffer tube on a receiver than doesn’t need one, then it is a brace/stock. Considering the rule is almost 300 pages to define a single line in a law, I don’t think it achieved its goal of clarifying the ATF’s position.
I believe you would have to remove the buffer and the brace/stock.
If you have something w a short barrel and a bare buff I believe they still consider that a pistol.

When I say remove brace I mean just slide it off the buffer.

Bluefish

WKR
I believe you would have to remove the buffer and the brace/stock.
If you have something w a short barrel and a bare buff I believe they still consider that a pistol.

When I say remove brace I mean just slide it off the buffer.
I think we are saying the same thing. Ie a ar based pistol with short barrel and a buffer tube with no way to attach a stock (ie naked) is still a pistol. Ie no adjustable carbine tubes, no rifle tubes with a screw hole.
if you add anything that resembles a stock then it’s a sbr.

Bluefish

WKR
The one good thing going is there is a supreme court case for TC contenders that says having the parts on hand for both configurations is not a crime, provided the owner never assembles them in a sbr configuration. I believe this case is even called out in the rule.

AR’s are really similar in the ability to mix and match parts and barrels to a TC.

I think it’s because you have to admit to already owning a sbr to get the free stamp. I think the logic is also that since it has a brace (stock) it’s not a pistol, but a rifle. If you go a normal form 1, you just say you have a pistol to convert to a SBR. It never gets the stock on it until you get a stamp. So if you take the stock off (brace is now a stock) it is still a pistol and can be treated as such, vs have a sbr the atf considered made from a rifle. Almost semantics, but that seems to be how the atf is going.

As far as interstate travel, I believe if you return it to a non nfa state, ie for a rifle, long barrel or for a pistol, no stock it can be taken across state lines Or you can ask for approval.
Word. Thank you for clarifying.

"Oh no our agents are overrun with work processing all these form 1s, we're gonna have to hire 87,000 more atf agents."
Agents don't process forms. You will never see ATF hire even close to that number. They are actually the smallest agency within DOJ with around 2,000 agents worldwide.

The 5th circuit overturned the ban. I believe 3 other circuits have upheld the ban. So it depends where you live if it’s in place or not.
Does this not show inconsistency within the law, therefore the decision should go to the side of the owner? Can't remember the legal term.

I am still bit confused on wording in document. One place said braces are banned and another says pistols are banned. Am I remembering wrong? Which is it? So are they wanting the serialized piece registered as SBR or an accessory?

Bluefish

WKR
Does this not show inconsistency within the law, therefore the decision should go to the side of the owner? Can't remember the legal term.

I am still bit confused on wording in document. One place said braces are banned and another says pistols are banned. Am I remembering wrong? Which is it? So are they wanting the serialized piece registered as SBR or an accessory?
I think the rule starts out saying braces are ”not” banned. just a brace turns a pistol into a SBR. I believe you register the firearm receiver as the sbr, not the brace. Also once a sbr then you can put a real stock on it as it’s already an sbr, no longer pistol with a brace. Clear as mud.
I expect there will be mass noncompliance due to the atf having little enforcement and people just not knowing the ruling changed the law is enforced. There is a good chance it might even be overturned by the bump stock ruling.

jbach50

FNG

A split in circuits makes it very likely the supreme court will take up the issue.

ATF says they made a mistake when they determined in 2012 that pistol braces do not “alter the classification of a pistol or other firearm". New rule seeks to reclassify firearms with pistol braces as SBRs, which require registration with the government and a tax stamp. Keep in mind, some states have banned SBRs, leaving few options, if any, for many owners to keep without becoming felons.

How bout these commies focus on gang bangers & pedophiles & leave me TF alone?
Because fear = the sheepole asking for more control.
You control who you can.
Leave the criminals in place so the masses have fear.
Then the masses will ask for more control.
Awhile the while budgets and salaries increase Because control costs alot of money.

Its all just a circle of control and money.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s because you have to admit to already owning a sbr to get the free stamp. I think the logic is also that since it has a brace (stock) it’s not a pistol, but a rifle. If you go a normal form 1, you just say you have a pistol to convert to a SBR. It never gets the stock on it until you get a stamp. So if you take the stock off (brace is now a stock) it is still a pistol and can be treated as such, vs have a sbr the atf considered made from a rifle. Almost semantics, but that seems to be how the atf is going.

As far as interstate travel, I believe if you return it to a non nfa state, ie for a rifle, long barrel or for a pistol, no stock it can be taken across state lines Or you can ask for approval.
Be very careful.
I believe I read that, even without a stock of any kind (i.e. just the buffer tube) it's still an NFA item

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Serious question... For all the non-compliers, haven't you already complied by putting a brace on and not a regular rifle stock? If anyone is being honest with themselves, braces are uncomfortable as hell to shoot and offer really nothing, other than compliance.