Permethrin mishap

ODB

WKR
Yes, I’d just use sawyers. I don’t think all permethrin treatments are designed for clothing.

Howell81

FNG
Just hang them outside for a couple days. make sure you get some sunlight on them. The smell will go away.

Here is a good article on permethrin. I found a number of sources that say direct sunlight (UV) will degrade permethrin, so you could try setting them out side for a few days. Martin's Permethrin is a water-based product that is suitable for use on clothing, so I'll be switching to that.

https://tickinfo.com/permethrin

Now I'm seeing that even the Martin's permethrin is not recommended for clothing, even though it's water-based. Lots of guys using it, so I'm not sure which route to go. The sawyer might be the easiest, but certainly not the cheapest.

I spray my boots with permethrin when I have it, but....one thing I believe in is apple cider vinegar. If I start taking a tablespoon/day a couple of days before I go into the woods, and continue while I am there...no ticks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Dermal toxicity is no joke. Fortunately you picked a fairly safe product for a mishap. According to Sawyers, 20-30% of the active ingredient will be removed on the first washing. Then 3-5% on each additional washing. I'm sure you know but don't wash these clothes with anything else.

UV will help. So will time as the active breaks down. I would be surprised if the manufacturer gave you advice as this application is a violation of the label. I would error on the side of safety and throw out the clothing. An expensive mistake but why take a health risk.

Wellsdw

WKR
their is a permethrin alternative. supposedly all natural (which means less effective) called pyrtherin.... anyone treated clothes with it?

CorbLand

WKR
I am not going to say that it wont kill you if you wear those pants but overall, permetherin is pretty safe(arguably safer than DEET). Let he pants air out for a couple days and wash them 10 times. They should be fine. Wear them for some short periods of time and see if it causes any skin irritation or any weird symptoms. I sprayed that stuff for years got plenty on my skin and in my mouth and I never had any problems from it...yet.

ODB

WKR
their is a permethrin alternative. supposedly all natural (which means less effective) called pyrtherin.... anyone treated clothes with it?

pyrethrum is a derivative of chrysanthymums. It works the same but is les stable under UV than the synthetic variation. Given the historical safety record of permethrin, i'd opt for it and its ability to remain stable after washing and in UV rays than worry about finding pyrethrum. Pyrethrum is great for plants and whatnot though....

I spray my boots with permethrin when I have it, but....one thing I believe in is apple cider vinegar. If I start taking a tablespoon/day a couple of days before I go into the woods, and continue while I am there...no ticks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Does this really work?

I know a guy that done this and wore the clothing. It tore him up bad enough he almost didn't make it back to the truck after an afternoon of mushroom hunting.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
You dramatically over-treated you pants, if you used 10% solution, then you overtreated by 20X the recommended rate.

No manufacturer will ever tell you it's okay to wear those pants.

Stop guessing about what to do. You are asking everyone here to speculate as to the best way to deal with this. Speculation is not going to help you determine when the pants are actually safe to wear, no matter the recommended treatment from everyone here.

Once Permethrin is dry, it bonds to the fabric and it does not wash out immediately. Yes. it will eventually wash out or oxidize from sunlight, etc. However, given that you may have used as much as 20X the recommended application rate- you need an answer from a chemist familiar with this compound, so ask the manufacturer the right question:

What solvent or combination of processes will effectively remove dried Permethrin from clothes or make it inert?

Once you have that answer, then tell the point of contact at the manufacturer that you accidently applied at 20X or whatever the rate used and want to ensure you use the proper amount of solvent, oxidizer and see what the POC says.
So the permethrin never dried I realized what I had done when it was still dripping and have been washing ever since

Realize that permethrin is an insecticide in higher concentrations. It's an insect repellent in lower concentrations. If those were your kids clothes, what would you do?

Personally, I would wash these clothes with an oxidizing detergent once a week for a month. I'd leave them hanging and exposed to light (but not necessarily out in direct sun all day). I'd have my wife give them the sniff test, because she has a nose akin a doe whitetail. After a month or more and no detectable odor I would feel safe wearing them. As a precaution you can elect to wear a thin base layer next to your skin to prevent direct skin contact with treated clothing.

Rich M

WKR
Just hang your clothes where they can air-out.

Permethrin is not supposed to be bad for people, it will kill cats tho.

I do the 10% solution and exactly what you described - soak it thick/heavy concentration cause of the ticks and other 6 & 8 legged creatures. I'll mix it up in a 5-gallon bucket and soak the clothes, wring em out and air-dry on a line. It is what my wife and I wear in the woods. The 5-gallon bucket full will treat a whole wardrobe worth of clothes.

What you made was the "bug-off" version of your clothes (good for what 25 or 50 washes. They'll be fine. You will be fine. You just got spooked and panicked. Now the fear mongers are after you. Same guys/folks will tell you it is bad to brush your teeth too little or too much, use too little or too much toothpaste, and if you don't use a tongue scraper your tongue will fall off.

For the guy asking about the apple cider vinegar - YES, it works.

We've been using the TS Supply stuff for years at a 1/2% rate. The smell will go away in short time if you wash and let them air out.
FWIW our procedure is to treat our clothes before we wash them and then wash and air dry.
Ticks and Lyme are extremely bad here, so we choose it as the lesser of the evils.

huntdoc

FNG
Permethrin is applied directly to the skin for kids with scabies and the scalp and hair for lice. It can be toxic, as well as some people may have reactions as can happen with anything. In general though if spraying on outside of clothing and allowed to completely dry, should pose a pretty low risk. To me that is a better risk than Lyme.