Permethrin mishap

Gobbler36

WKR
So with all the info lately out on ticks and lyme disease I tried treating my clothes with some 10% solution and accidentally used the wrong ratio and put too much, I caught when I was soaking it but it still smells super strong and I rinsed really good it right away and have washed it a couple times. Still has a pretty strong smell. Already called the manufacturer and didn’t get anywhere as they just repeatedly said it’s not for clothes which I understand they don’t wanna be liable.
Any of you dealt with this or have any ideas on how to make it better with out tossing my first Lite gear?

Mosby

WKR
Good recommendations. I would definitely soak them and might try no scent laundry detergent. It might take a couple of washings. I would also line dry outside and let them air out.

what brand did you use? Are you smelling the permethrine, or an oily smell.

We accidentally used some that had petrol distillate (turns white when mixed with water) and has taken a week of hanging outside (in the shade) for the smell to be better

TheCougar

WKR
Repeated washings and sunlight exposure degrade permethrin. I’d keep washing and hang in the sun to dry. If it is a petroleum residue from the type of permethrin you used, I’m out of ideas.

So which concentrated permethrin do you guys prefer to use? I used some stuff from Tractor Supply that turned the water white, but it was just on jeans that I used for morel hunting. How long will that stuff keep the ticks away before having to re-apply?

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
what brand did you use? Are you smelling the permethrine, or an oily smell.

We accidentally used some that had petrol distillate (turns white when mixed with water) and has taken a week of hanging outside (in the shade) for the smell to be better
Uh oh
I will check this but it definitely turned white

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Yep definitely had petroleum distillate in it....... ****!
Not really sure what that chemical is but I may just toss these

Doesn’t sound like a good idea to have petroleum on the skin

jmez

WKR
It may take a while to get out. The clothing specific spray that I use says it will remain effective for 6 weeks through multiple washings.

GotDraw?

WKR
You dramatically over-treated you pants, if you used 10% solution, then you overtreated by 20X the recommended rate.

No manufacturer will ever tell you it's okay to wear those pants.

Stop guessing about what to do. You are asking everyone here to speculate as to the best way to deal with this. Speculation is not going to help you determine when the pants are actually safe to wear, no matter the recommended treatment from everyone here.

Once Permethrin is dry, it bonds to the fabric and it does not wash out immediately. Yes. it will eventually wash out or oxidize from sunlight, etc. However, given that you may have used as much as 20X the recommended application rate- you need an answer from a chemist familiar with this compound, so ask the manufacturer the right question:

What solvent or combination of processes will effectively remove dried Permethrin from clothes or make it inert?

Once you have that answer, then tell the point of contact at the manufacturer that you accidently applied at 20X or whatever the rate used and want to ensure you use the proper amount of solvent, oxidizer and see what the POC says.

Last edited:

NoWiser

WKR
I wouldn't throw your clothes. I treat mine with the same stuff and get the same smell. It goes away with time. Better than lyme's disease. I've yet to get a tick in the 12 years I've been treating my clothes with permethrin.

Kilboars

WKR
I buy the concentrate and reduce it in a spray bottle and just spray all my cloth down after ever wash.

Ive got to much camo to soak everything and not really sure I want the stuff next to my skin when working up a good sweat.

I also wear Ryno Skin tops and bottoms for tick and mosquitoes and never find ticks on me.

KHNC

WKR
I use the Permanone spray cans from Tractor supply or walmart. Cheap enough and has ALWAYS worked for ticks and chiggers. No need to get technical and try to mix your own. Permanone is only 1% permetherin. Says it lasts up to two weeks minimum. The test was early season in Kentucky. That place is a chigger factory. When i started using this spray 15 years ago, i havent had a problem since.No need to over think it. Buy the cans and roll with it. On your NEW clothes of course.

Btaylor

WKR
Either go to walmart or get on amazon and get some Sawyers. I spray clothes down every other washing and have had zero tick issues since I started using it.