Rynoskin Clothing

Voyageur

WKR
Originally posted this in the clothing forum. Re-posting here to see if I can get more replies.
I've been treating my clothing with permethrin for the past 10 years or so, but am looking to find a chemical free option to clothing that protects against ticks, mosquitoes, black flies, etc. and ran across Rynoskin. Interested in hearing from any who use/have used it.
Thanks.

dtrkyman

WKR
A friend of mine used it back in the day, it worked but he looked like a stuffed sausage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Chemicals make up everything. There's no such thing as chemical free anything.
Even if it naturally occurs, it's a chemical.

Rynoskin is made from different polymers(chemikillz) that come from oil. That toxic cancer causing black stuff we pump out of the ground.

Nacho7

FNG
Was debating Sitkas Equinox. Curious on peoples choices for treating clothes or other options if there are any.

dtrkyman

WKR
Permethrin. Also look at top secret scent defense, it has all natural repellents from flowers and plants. I used the clothes wash and shower soap when working on food plots in the summer.

That along with Permethrin treated clothes I never had issues with ticks or chiggers, and they are thick where I was every day! It smells good to.

The top secret is not really a back country treatment though, unless you pack in a small amount, where as Permethrin lasts months on your clothes.

Nacho7

FNG
Sitka states their treatment and or
design lasts for the life of the garment. I guess life of the garment is up to interpretation. Didn’t realize permethrin is highly toxic to cats. I’m assuming top secret defense alone isn’t highly effective.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I used to use it years ago, it worked well, but is just an extra layer to make you sweat like crazy.
I stopped using it, and now do the following, and have better results.

If I am working on the farm, hanging stands, planting plots, etc. , where sent doesn't matter, I use bug spray (cutter, off, etc.). I take my clothes, boots, and gaiters (kuiu scree) hang them on tail gate and soak them down good before I put them on. I never get ticks or red bugs, this is way cooler than rynoskin.

If hunting, I will do the same prior to going the day before with permerthin, but I wear the scree gaiters also, different ones. I like those, they are tough as nails, more breathable than the yukon, not as high up either, but not water proof.

Both those work fine for me, and I have no desire to go back to rynoskin.

A Russian trick during communism for ticks and bugs in general was to soak clothes in diesel then allow them to dry. Then wear them. No bugs at all.
Probably less toxic to use than chemical bug repellent tbf, but be careful around naked flame!!

Clothing is very effective at stopping most ticks, assuming first point of contact, from low down whilst walking. Ticks will only climb up... So if tabs are added to the tops of gaiters or on the waistband the ticks will get trapped there, so you can find and kill them later.
The Russian military gorka suits have alot of additions like that to create physical barriers.

Still looking for more natural solutions myself, other than just clothing solutions.

z987k

WKR
A Russian trick during communism for ticks and bugs in general was to soak clothes in diesel then allow them to dry. Then wear them. No bugs at all.
Probably less toxic to use than chemical bug repellent tbf, but be careful around naked flame!!

Clothing is very effective at stopping most ticks, assuming first point of contact, from low down whilst walking. Ticks will only climb up... So if tabs are added to the tops of gaiters or on the waistband the ticks will get trapped there, so you can find and kill them later.
The Russian military gorka suits have alot of additions like that to create physical barriers.

Still looking for more natural solutions myself, other than just clothing solutions.
Hahaha! Yes, soak your clothes in a class 1 carcinogen rather than something that has 60 years of research that shows little adverse effect to humans. Brilliant!

Hahaha! Yes, soak your clothes in a class 1 carcinogen rather than something that has 60 years of research that shows little adverse effect to humans. Brilliant!
Correlation is not causation, however the decline in not just health markers but genetic health in the first world nations, (and to a lesser extent beyond) since WW2 is so catastrophic as to be biblical. Or if you're more inclined, at or near extinction level.

Yet all the chemicals added to food, water, air, clothing, cooking and storage, etc, etc, are all perfectly safe and within safe guild lines...
The deindustrialization of the West has not had an effect on this trend, which is interesting. Filthy, filthy industrial pollution the cause of all our ills, apparently...

It's a miracle!! 😂
Or people are lying.
I wonder which is more likely? It's not like I come across liers every day or anything, from every stratosphere of society. Humm

I personally don't use diesel or prem, thankfully where I live I'm not forced into making a choice of either.
I see maybe 6-12 ticks a year with having a dog to, but I live in sheep farming country and the sheep do quite a good job of hovering those wrank things up.
During the spring we are diligent as a family of doing tick checks every night and most mornings and currently that's working out just fine. I'll also do the same if out rucking/camping.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle