Pending Toyota Recall

WRO

WKR
The only vehicle I’ve owned with numerous recalls….. Toyota
2009 cultch, throw out bearing, sticking gas pedal, squeaky rear springs, then rear spring replacement, something with the seat belts.
And frame rust. I unloaded mine before it got bad. I think just being within a 100 foot of a salt shaker and I could watch rust form.

Don’t get me wrong, I am watching the new gen of Tacoma. It will be a few years before I buy one to be safe.

As a counter point, I bought a 2010 f150 brand new that the seat belts quit working, heater blender cores quit, left me stranded with an electronic gremlin, and finally blew the motor at 120k, ford didn’t cover shit for me, and every one of those problems you could read on the hundreds of people had.

My 16 taco had a couple of recalls and they fixed a couple of things that weren’t on recall all for free, none of which ever left me stranded.

Last edited:

IdahoBeav

WKR
I'm curious when manufacturers will start selling vehicles without the integrated bells and whistles. Manual everything
2nd gen Tacoma was the most recent that I know of. You had to put in some work to find them. Dealers didn't normally get them. Up until '14, the 2nd to last year of the 2nd gen, they were still making the single cab model. They're pretty cool. You could buy a new one in the base package, 4x4 with a 2.7 L 4 cyl for $18-$20k new.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

2nd gen Tacoma was the most recent that I know of. You had to put in some work to find them. Dealers didn't normally get them. Up until '14, the 2nd to last year of the 2nd gen, they were still making the single cab model. They're pretty cool. You could buy a new one in the base package, 4x4 with a 2.7 L 4 cyl for $18-$20k new.

IMG_2764.jpeg
They are crazy fun, reliable trucks. All I drive is either tacos or Cummins. I’ve had a few of each, awesome trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 17

I fit in single cab Tacoma's about as well as I fit in my Prius.. A bit clown car-ish. I'll stick to full size crew cab pickups. not fat. just over 6' tall

Crusader

WKR
My 2023 4Runner doesn’t even have a locking gas cap, the climate controls are two big knobs, and the old technology v6 rattles, makes noise and has crappy gas mileage. I love it - definitely a good idea to get it before everything was reengineered. Lol

A Toyota mechanic called it a dinosaur.
I did the same thing, bought a new '23 4R last November. Love it. I have zero interest in any of their current models with the turbo engines. I'm an old dude; give me old, proven, dependable "technology."

I did the same thing, bought a new '23 4R last November. Love it. I have zero interest in any of their current models with the turbo engines. I'm an old dude; give me old, proven, dependable "technology."

IMG_0042.jpeg
Wife’s is a tank. I take it from time to time hutning. Think we have 90k on it, just routine maintenance. They are awesome.

I was talking with a friend who is really into cars. From the people that he knows in the industry, they are all saying to hold off on a new car for the next 3-4 years. Everyone was deep into developing EVs and not working on combustion engines. The EV thing is slowly dying off and we should start to see new combustion engines, and hopefully hydrogen.

I have already decided that I don't want more bells and whistles and would prefer to buy an 80's dodge to a brand new truck.

I've had a 2010 tacoma since new. There have been a list of recalls and service bulletins over the years, which has been frustrating, but I have always felt that when there is an issue, Toyota has always stood by the vehicle. Can't say the same about the GM's I've owned in the past. No plans to replace this thing for a long time, but when I do, I'm sure it will be another Toyota.

WRO

WKR
I've had a 2010 tacoma since new. There have been a list of recalls and service bulletins over the years, which has been frustrating, but I have always felt that when there is an issue, Toyota has always stood by the vehicle. Can't say the same about the GM's I've owned in the past. No plans to replace this thing for a long time, but when I do, I'm sure it will be another Toyota.
Same here, ford left me hat in hand with a lemon that with every major common problem.

For all you gloom and doomers -

The first gen tundra has numerous electrical, transmission and engine issues for the first 18 months. Now though, I don’t think anyone would argue that the 4.7 was a great engine.

The 5.7 had crankshaft issues that blew up the engines, and had 14 recalls in 2007. It also had 17 recalls in 2010. That’s right, the bulletproof 5.7 had issues too.

Toyota fixed it. The same way they’ll fix this.

For everyone bitching about how they’re all the same now - it’s still far from it. GM just recently had a class action suit get the go ahead for their 8 speed transmissions.

Ford pretends to have their head in the sand about their 10 speed issues and cam phaser issues among other things.

How many recalls for those issues? Oh yeah, none. Both manufacturers will tell you to pound sand out of warranty, even though a boatload of people seem to be having the same issues. Hell ford “found a fix” for both of those issues.

How did Toyota address the problem? They’re replacing all the affected engines.

Show me how they’re all the same again?

They make the customer do the R&D apparently. Some take care of the issue, but is needing to recall every engine a good thing? I don't think so.
would you rather them tell you to pound sand and you can foot the bill for a new engine?

Edit: I suppose there's a different way to look at this.

GM and Fords model is "there's no problem" - but if there is a problem, we have an updated part that will fix it - but there's no problem. If it fails in warranty, they'll cover it after they try and clear codes and shift points whatever. That model hopes that you'll drive it through the warranty and then when it fails its no longer their problem.

The issue I have with that, is that by them engineering a new part they've silently admitted there's a problem - and yet they have no issue with making you foot the bill for the problem they know damn well is there.

Toyota could also take that approach, they didn't.

Last edited:

Wyo_hntr

WKR
would you rather them tell you to pound sand and you can foot the bill for a new engine?

Edit: I suppose there's a different way to look at this.

GM and Fords model is "there's no problem" - but if there is a problem, we have an updated part that will fix it - but there's no problem. If it fails in warranty, they'll cover it after they try and clear codes and shift points whatever. That model hopes that you'll drive it through the warranty and then when it fails its no longer their problem.

The issue I have with that, is that by them engineering a new part they've silently admitted there's a problem - and yet they have no issue with making you foot the bill for the problem they know damn well is there.

Toyota could also take that approach, they didn't.
I'm certainly glad toyota stepped up so valiantly to fix the product they sold that was defective.

There are tundra owners on their third engine block. I don't think that's a win.

Frankly I'd expect ford and chevrolet to do what they do. It's a surprise for toyota to fail so bad.