Pending Toyota Recall

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
...which is why all the one's i looked up the vin started wtih J

View attachment 743587

Good to know. I didn't see the connection with mine until now. Just picked up '22 after getting rid of an '18 Ford Expedition that had soooooo many mechanical issues. Infuriating is the word that comes to mind. No longer will I buy from the big 3. Let's see how this Toyota issue plays out as they need to maintain consumer confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
The new Tundra has the highest safety rating of any major full size truck, and my understanding is the lack of tow hooks was a measure to improve this. I think only the Rivian EV has a higher rating. The Tundra isn't a perfect truck, but I have been very happy with mine. Not a single issue so far, and I think the higher trim trucks have the nicest interior, but that is pretty subjective.

SDHNTR

WKR
The new Tundra has the highest safety rating of any major full size truck, and my understanding is the lack of tow hooks was a measure to improve this. I think only the Rivian EV has a higher rating. The Tundra isn't a perfect truck, but I have been very happy with mine. Not a single issue so far, and I think the higher trim trucks have the nicest interior, but that is pretty subjective.
I feel much safer with tow hooks.

Unfortunately they have one of the cheapest exteriors. Plastic everywhere. The grills are especially egregious. Thinnest plastic I’ve seen.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately they have one of the cheapest exteriors. Plastic everywhere. The grills are especially egregious. Thinnest plastic I’ve seen.
Mine is a platinum, so I can't relate to this comment. My guess is you either have or have looked at a lower trim SR or SR5?

SDHNTR

WKR
Pick one of the aftermarket options and add them. Problem solved.
I have. But there isn’t a good one. The easiest bolt on option gets installed too far up under the truck so actual use would damage the bumper. The ones that actually work require removing the entire front clip, drilling and cutting.

IdahoBeav

WKR
. . . an '18 Ford Expedition that had soooooo many mechanical issues. Infuriating is the word that comes to mind. No longer will I buy from the big 3.
I just got a letter in the mail from Ford last week for my wife's '20 Explorer. Apparently, there is a potential issue with rear axle bolts breaking and the driveshaft becoming disconnected.

Not the motor blowing due to manufacturing debris issue, but plenty of other issues. Most just annoying QC matters, not powertrain related.
If you follow the tundra forums on reddit, you’ll see there are some 2024’s battling some engine failures. They haven’t necessarily determined debris was the cause, but there is obviously concern that the 2024’s are suffering the same fate as the 22s and 23s.

I am following this closely because I would love a new tundra. I have a 2020 1794 right now.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you follow the tundra forums on reddit, you’ll see there are some 2024’s battling some engine failures. They haven’t necessarily determined debris was the cause, but there is obviously concern that the 2024’s are suffering the same fate as the 22s and 23s.

I am following this closely because I would love a new tundra. I have a 2020 1794 right now.
Don’t do it! My ‘24 1794 is high tech garbage! And, you have tow hooks and a tranny cooler. Run the wheels off that sucker!

I follow Tundra Forum and I haven’t seen much with 24 powertrain problems. It’s everything else that is cheap chunk on the truck. Ohh, the wind noise! While mine was in the shop I had a cheapo Corolla rental. It was quieter than my fancy $80,000 truck. And the windshield panels were properly aligned and free of distortion. And the seats didn’t leak filling. And the side mirrors don’t rattle like they are gonna fall off when you shut the door. And the cooling fan behind the dash didn’t rattle. And, and, and…

Last edited:

big44a4

WKR
I just drove by a local Toyota dealer yesterday and the lot was full of Tundra's all of them marked down, $12k+, what a switch from 2021, when they were marking them up that amount.

I had to get a new truck for work and got it 14k under sticker 2 months ago. Seems like the tide is turning as inventory is stacking up.

I'm curious when manufacturers will start selling vehicles without the integrated bells and whistles. Manual everything

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished reading through this. I traded a 2018 tundra in 2021 for a 2020 with 10k miles on it. I wanted to avoid getting one of the new trucks after they first came out. One of the few decisions I have made that I can look back and say, " Huh, that wasn't a bad idea.".

Just finished reading through this. I traded a 2018 tundra in 2021 for a 2020 with 10k miles on it. I wanted to avoid getting one of the new trucks after they first came out. One of the few decisions I have made that I can look back and say, " Huh, that wasn't a bad idea.".
I sold my 23 ecoboost and was looking at tundras hard. Went back to my old roots and picked up a 1 owner 06 2500 5.9. I just can’t commit to the new tech. So glad I got back into a 3rd gen Cummins. Will run it for the next 20 years and have no regrets.

I'm seeing a trend where things are getting more complex and people maintaining those things are becoming less and less competent.

Honda and Toyota made their name in the 80s, 90s, and 00s and have since rested on their laurels. My first car after college was my wife's 1992 Honda Accord and even I could do maintenance on that thing.