Pending Toyota Recall

SDHNTR

WKR
Owner of a 2010 Tundra with 160k miles here, guess I’ll wait awhile on a replacement….
Keep it as long as possible!

You have a real V8, instead of fake V8 sounds piped in through the stereo (I’m 100% serious. This is apparently another worthless feature our money went into on the third gen Tundra, instead of something useful like tow hooks!)!

tony

WKR
The only vehicle I’ve owned with numerous recalls….. Toyota
2009 cultch, throw out bearing, sticking gas pedal, squeaky rear springs, then rear spring replacement, something with the seat belts.
And frame rust. I unloaded mine before it got bad. I think just being within a 100 foot of a salt shaker and I could watch rust form.

Don’t get me wrong, I am watching the new gen of Tacoma. It will be a few years before I buy one to be safe.

Marshfly

WKR
How many times have you been driving when and engine blows up?You just loose power and slow down. Comparing it to a tire blowing is apples and oranges. Hell most wouldn’t even notice oil pressure dropping and still make it where they are going. Most motors just make a clacking sound you start loosing power and it’s not even a surprise.
Have you read the recall? What I stated is written in it. Literally, “can increase the risk of a crash.” Toyotas words, not mine.

The point was that someone said Toyota went above and beyond and I said they did what was financially prudent and legally necessary.

As an aside, I don’t drive junk. So no, I have not had an engine blow up while driving a vehicle.

KurtR

WKR
Have you read the recall? What I stated is written in it. Literally, “can increase the risk of a crash.” Toyotas words, not mine.

The point was that someone said Toyota went above and beyond and I said they did what was financially prudent and legally necessary.

As an aside, I don’t drive junk. So no, I have not had an engine blow up while driving a vehicle.
Ya I could tell you didn’t know what you were talking about….. regardless of what they say an engine failure is a really low likelihood of doing anything but learning you stranded on the side of the road.

I don’t think Clement’s or rouse Yates build junk but they still blow up.

Weldor

WKR
I am not a toyota guy, but they have stood on their reputation of reliability. I'll give them that. That is until recently. I don't think I would want a long block installed in new truck, JMHO. Can't beat those FJ's though!

IdahoElk

WKR
I've had (5) 4runners, all served me well, seems like all car manufacturers are having issues lately but when motors are blowing up like in the Toyota somebody really screwed up.

Any Yota techs on here with experience seeing this...I find it hard to believe "engine debris". Seems like a any half ass QC program could catch that. I just haven't seen any details on the debris, makes me suspicious.

Can we all agree that tiny motors with dual turbos are not the answer for full size trucks?

manitou1

WKR
Any Yota techs on here with experience seeing this...I find it hard to believe "engine debris". Seems like a any half ass QC program could catch that. I just haven't seen any details on the debris, makes me suspicious.

Can we all agree that tiny motors with dual turbos are not the answer for full size trucks?
Time will tell on these 3rd gens. Heat kills turbos and Toyota added an additional radiator for each turbo. Time will tell, but I am not overly optimistic any turbo will be a 300,000 engine.

Time will tell on these 3rd gens. Heat kills turbos and Toyota added an additional radiator for each turbo. Time will tell, but I am not overly optimistic any turbo will be a 300,000 engine.
This recall is far from over. I don’t think many people believe its just a bad batch.

manitou1

WKR
This recall is far from over. I don’t think many people believe its just a bad batch.
I haven't heard if or read of any 2024 models having the issue.
Please don't post proof counter to this as I bought a 2024 and would rather be "surprised" than to worry about it.😂

I did, however, purchase a 125,000 mile warranty, but that won't omit the inconvenience.

BCsteve

WKR

Ford has had Ecoboost engines in the F150 and others for almost 15 years with good success. I've had three F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost since 2010, they have tons of power and been reliable le for me. I wouldn't rule them out on principle.

Please don't post proof counter to this as I bought a 2024 and would rather be "surprised" than to worry about it.😂

I did, however, purchase a 125,000 mile warranty, but that won't omit the inconvenience.
We love our Toyotas. I hope for your sake, everything is kosher going forward. But they’ve already had issues with turbos, wastegates, now metal shavings blowing up entire engines. They haven’t yet recalled the max hybrid. But I don’t see how considering it’s the same engine just with a battery added to it.

Marshfly

WKR
T
Ya I could tell you didn’t know what you were talking about….. regardless of what they say an engine failure is a really low likelihood of doing anything but learning you stranded on the side of the road.

I don’t think Clement’s or rouse Yates build junk but they still blow up.
This is hilarious. Defending a global manufacturer that built its brand on reliability that can’t clean out an engine properly before assembly. Yes. That is junk. It is also a manufacturer that needs to take a hard look at itself internally when you combine that with the other serious recalls and issues in these recent model vehicles and how much of a departure that is from what it built the brand on.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
The failure rate is less than 1%. Meanwhile, Toyota's quarterly sales figures show they are having a record sales year for the Tundra in 2024 while Ford, GM and Ram are piling up on dealer lots and not selling. Toyota stock price is $193 today and trending up. GM stock price is $44, Ford is $11, and Stelantis, while they struggle to stay in business, is $16.

I did, however, purchase a 125,000 mile warranty, but that won't omit the inconvenience
2024 Models are also having issues. They just havent extended the recall to them yet. Good luck :)

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Ford has had Ecoboost engines in the F150 and others for almost 15 years with good success. I've had three F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost since 2010, they have tons of power and been reliable le for me. I wouldn't rule them out on principle.
My last truck was an F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Although the truck itself had issues (bad hubs, bad twin-panel moon roof, bad paint, oil leak and bad door mechanism in less than 50k miles), I loved the turbo engine, and I would never go back to a naturally aspirated V8 after owning one.

manitou1

WKR
They "had" issues with the wastegates/
We love our Toyotas. I hope for your sake, everything is kosher going forward. But they’ve already had issues with turbos, wastegates, now metal shavings blowing up entire engines. They haven’t yet recalled the max hybrid. But I don’t see how considering it’s the same engine just with a battery added to it.
They "had" issues with wategates/turbos. Those were rectified.

SDHNTR

WKR
2024 Models are also having issues. They just havent extended the recall to them yet. Good luck :)
Not the motor blowing due to manufacturing debris issue, but plenty of other issues. Most just annoying QC matters, not powertrain related.

manitou1

WKR
It
It's a roll of the dice nowadays.
I drove nothing but Toyotas for decades (without one single issue) until I started towing campers and SxS.
I refused to buy 2nd gen Tundra with the dismal fuel mileage so I drove Rams for a while, trouble-free but traded them around 100k miles.

Last truck was a higher end Chevy and it started pooping in the nest by 55K miles. Traded it in at 68K miles.