Pending Toyota Recall

manitou1

WKR
They ALL have recalls the first couple of years. It is how they handle that matters in today's environment.

So far, my '24 Tundra has been great. Fit/finish are at least as good as my 2020 Silverado RST.

I did, however, get the 125K mile extended warranty when I bought it.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy bought a 2023 Tundra platinum last year and loves it and has no issues with it so far. Crazy that it has twelve cameras on it which he used to get down from the mountain at 11:30 at night after he loaded his cow elk up in it. Surprised he took it where he did but it did well with stock tires. It's full of tech though so I don't think it's for me. That 2024 Land Cruiser looks pretty sweet though.

To answer the OP’s question, it wouldn’t sway me away from them; I’m pretty impressed with their handling of it. Domestic auto has a pretty terrible track record of only issuing recalls when forced to.

-mechanical engineer working at a Tier 1 supplier with previous 10yrs at GM.

SDHNTR

WKR
This is what frustrates me and is disheartening at times. It's 2024; shouldn't design, manufacturering, and technology be better than this??
No, in 2024, you get a truck that has gobs of useless tech - and yet, no tow hooks!

Last edited:
OP
O

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
@SDHNTR , I guess trucks made today have so much wonderful tech and they're so great they don't need no stinkin tow hooks.

(P.S. I do love tech...when it works and in the right application.)

Sapcut

WKR
There are Toyotas and then there are Toyotas made in Japan…. Engineered, designed, assembled and rolled off the floor to traverse the planet on bad third world gas for 25+ years.

But yet folks continue to buy disposable American made scrap metal and continue complaining about it.

Three of my Japanese made Toyotas.

IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0114.png
IMG_0113.png

ODB

WKR

Marshfly

WKR
I think most people familiar with this would disagree with you. Toyota took the initiative to recall these, which they didn't have to. Other companies, like GM, keep selling trucks with known lifter issues, diesel def system problems, active fuel management problems, etc, with no recall, leaving owners fighting with warranty claims. The old 5.7 v8 had plenty of issues when it was first released, and Toyota made sure to take care of the owners then too when they had to work out the issues, and they did, as that engine is now one of the most reliable you can get in a used truck. This new ttv6 is no different.

No car company can stay in business in such a competitive industry without innovation or a willingness to keep up with current technology. All manufacturers are moving in the same direction, like it or not.
Debris in an engine can cause a catastrophic failure. That happens on the road and people can die. They may have initiated this recall early but it was not an option to ignore it.

Cleaning an engine out before assembly seems like a pretty essential part of the process. This is a serious failure of internal processes in my mind. The Highlander airbag not doing the job when the window is open is another one. These are pretty basic things that they are missing.

KurtR

WKR
Debris in an engine can cause a catastrophic failure. That happens on the road and people can die. They may have initiated this recall early but it was not an option to ignore it.

Cleaning an engine out before assembly seems like a pretty essential part of the process. This is a serious failure of internal processes in my mind. The Highlander airbag not doing the job when the window is open is another one. These are pretty basic things that they are missing.
I mean if an engine eats its pigs going down the road it’s not like a top fuel car blowing up. I have been around a lot of motors for various reasons blowing up and it’s hard to find a scenario where people are going to die. Maybe merging on the free way and your cutting a semi off and at that exact moment you put a hole in the block but maybe you shouldn’t have been cutting the semi off .

Marshfly

WKR
I mean if an engine eats its pigs going down the road it’s not like a top fuel car blowing up. I have been around a lot of motors for various reasons blowing up and it’s hard to find a scenario where people are going to die. Maybe merging on the free way and your cutting a semi off and at that exact moment you put a hole in the block but maybe you shouldn’t have been cutting the semi off .
Lots of people react poorly when things happen unexpectedly. The NTSB knows this. Auto manufacturers know this. History shows us this.

The Explorer tire issue was tested independently and found that the car could be driven to a stop with no hands on the wheel. Still, people flipped the cars when the tires went flat.

KurtR

WKR
Lots of people react poorly when things happen unexpectedly. The NTSB knows this. Auto manufacturers know this. History shows us this.

The Explorer tire issue was tested independently and found that the car could be driven to a stop with no hands on the wheel. Still, people flipped the cars when the tires went flat.
How many times have you been driving when and engine blows up?You just loose power and slow down. Comparing it to a tire blowing is apples and oranges. Hell most wouldn’t even notice oil pressure dropping and still make it where they are going. Most motors just make a clacking sound you start loosing power and it’s not even a surprise.

Weldor

WKR
Ok, I'll throw this in the ring. They are all guilty. It's about money not quality. I can't even tell what brand a truck is anymore , they all look the same. No originately anymore. It's a crap shoot get a good one or not.