Pending Toyota Recall

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning roksliders. While picking through the news feed full of the usual stuff, I came across a Motortrend article regarding a recall from Toyota. It involves a "defect in its twin-turbocharged V-6 truck engines that power the Tundra pickup truck as well as Lexus's LX luxury SUVs—at least, those 2022 to 2023 model-year variants built between November 2021 and February 2023 (or the same model years built between July 2021 and November 2022 for the LX)."

Does info like this sway your decision in vehicle brand selection?

Article: https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-engine-recall-tundra-pickup-lexus-lx-suv/

When Hyundai had all their engine problems and recalls, that definitely swayed me...away. That and Hyundai in general. However, all manufacturers have had them. I went to Google to see if there was some clear information on how many vehicles by brand get recalled for safety and/or defects. There's a bunch of articles out there that quote info published by the NHTSA.

From a USA Today article published earlier this year: Top 10 carmakers by the number of vehicles potentially affected by recalls in the U.S., per the NHTSA (2023):

1. Honda: 6,334,825 vehicles potentially affected
2. Ford: 6,152,614
3. Kia America: 3,110,447
4. Chrysler: 2,732,398
5. General Motors: 2,021,033
6. Nissan North America: 1,804,443
7. Mercedes-Benz USA: 478,173
8. Volkswagen Group of America: 453,763
9. BMW of North America: 340,249
10. Daimler Trucks North America: 261,959

I would still buy a Toyota and I definitely love my taco. She's been great small truck for a lot of years and a LOT of miles. I do my own maintenance and have replaced the usual wear and tear" items and the stuff that's broke.

Marshfly

WKR
Add the Toyota Grand Highlander and Tacoma recalls to that Toyota list. Zero chance I’d buy a new Toyota of any flavor right now.

The 2024 version of your list will have Toyota way up it. Tacoma driveshaft recall, tundra engines, Highlander airbags. All this year and totaling over half a million vehicles. And we are only halfway through 2024. They seem to have lost their reliability ways in some way.

Im aware of these issues with these specific vehicles, but we're still moving forward with a 2024 land cruiser once we can get the color we want from a local place. I havent heard of any issues with them yet so I'm hoping it will be reliable. Please lemme know if you guys have heard anything bad about them tho!

SDHNTR

WKR
The new Tundra is not worthy of the Toyota name. I’ve owned one form of Toyota or another for over 30 years. My new 2024 Tundra 1794 is an overly teched out piece of junk. The QC is worse than any vehicle I’ve ever owned. Uncharacteristic of Toyota, it’s obvious the money went into bells and whistles, not quality. And my truck is not even effected by this recall.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
The new Tundra is not worthy of the Toyota name. I’ve owned one form of Toyota or another for over 30 years. My new 2024 Tundra 1794 is an overly teched out piece of junk. The QC is worse than any vehicle I’ve ever owned. Uncharacteristic of Toyota, it’s obvious the money went into bells and whistles, not quality.
The gadgets are getting out of control. My 2016 SR5 tundra is just about perfect with luxury features…almost none!

I don’t think it matters what you buy nowadays. They all suck. The manufacturers are chasing epa guidelines and the end user is paying the price.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2023 Tundra Platinum, and the truck has been stellar. In over a year of ownership I haven't had even one single warranty issue. I can't say that about my last Ford and GM trucks I have owned. My truck is not part of the engine recall (yet), but I actually applaud Toyota for not just doing the right thing by issuing a recall and going above and beyond with a full engine replacement for those affected. No company is perfect, but Toyota is a much better company than any of the big 3, and their stock price shows their value.

Marshfly

WKR
I have a 2023 Tundra Platinum, and the truck has been stellar. In over a year of ownership I haven't had even one single warranty issue. I can't say that about my last Ford and GM trucks I have owned. My truck is not part of the engine recall (yet), but I actually applaud Toyota for not just doing the right thing by issuing a recall and going above and beyond with a full engine replacement for those affected. No company is perfect, but Toyota is a much better company than any of the big 3, and their stock price shows their value.
The engines have debris in them from assembly. They are not going above and beyond. Shipping a new engine assembly for install is FAR less expensive than totally disassembling, cleaning, inspecting, and reassembling an engine in a vehicle.

Marshfly

WKR
The gadgets are getting out of control. My 2016 SR5 tundra is just about perfect with luxury features…almost none!

I don’t think it matters what you buy nowadays. They all suck. The manufacturers are chasing epa guidelines and the end user is paying the price.
I think this is probably the real issue. Toyota made its mark using 10-20 year old tech in new vehicles with the reasoning that proven tech is hyper-reliable. And it worked.

Now they are trying to leap forward to have the same technology as competing vehicles. And it's not working.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure any of the vehicles being made these days are worth the price.

I’ve had an 02 Tacoma and currently have a 21 Tacoma. The 02 had as much tech as I’m interested in, anything else is just more thing to break.

Both trucks have been good to me, but I absolutely would steer clear of the 24 Toyotas.

I’ve driven several fords for work, had an engine go out at 97k on a 2017. Current 2022 has 50k on it and the A/C doesn’t work if it gets above 90 (you know, the days you actually need A/C). CarPlay has all sorts of glitches, screen constantly doesn’t work, etc. basically all tech issues the last one had as well.

My buddies with Dodges & Chevys have their own issues.

You’re basically paying for a driving iPad at this point. As far as I can tell, most of the reviewers out there are almost exclusively focused on technology rather than dependability so I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

TaperPin

WKR
My 2023 4Runner doesn’t even have a locking gas cap, the climate controls are two big knobs, and the old technology v6 rattles, makes noise and has crappy gas mileage. I love it - definitely a good idea to get it before everything was reengineered. Lol

A Toyota mechanic called it a dinosaur.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
The engines have debris in them from assembly. They are not going above and beyond. Shipping a new engine assembly for install is FAR less expensive than totally disassembling, cleaning, inspecting, and reassembling an engine in a vehicle.
I think most people familiar with this would disagree with you. Toyota took the initiative to recall these, which they didn't have to. Other companies, like GM, keep selling trucks with known lifter issues, diesel def system problems, active fuel management problems, etc, with no recall, leaving owners fighting with warranty claims. The old 5.7 v8 had plenty of issues when it was first released, and Toyota made sure to take care of the owners then too when they had to work out the issues, and they did, as that engine is now one of the most reliable you can get in a used truck. This new ttv6 is no different.

No car company can stay in business in such a competitive industry without innovation or a willingness to keep up with current technology. All manufacturers are moving in the same direction, like it or not.

SDHNTR

WKR
Good morning roksliders. While picking through the news feed full of the usual stuff, I came across a Motortrend article regarding a recall from Toyota. It involves a "defect in its twin-turbocharged V-6 truck engines that power the Tundra pickup truck as well as Lexus's LX luxury SUVs—at least, those 2022 to 2023 model-year variants built between November 2021 and February 2023 (or the same model years built between July 2021 and November 2022 for the LX)."

Does info like this sway your decision in vehicle brand selection?

Article: https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-engine-recall-tundra-pickup-lexus-lx-suv/

When Hyundai had all their engine problems and recalls, that definitely swayed me...away. That and Hyundai in general. However, all manufacturers have had them. I went to Google to see if there was some clear information on how many vehicles by brand get recalled for safety and/or defects. There's a bunch of articles out there that quote info published by the NHTSA.

From a USA Today article published earlier this year: Top 10 carmakers by the number of vehicles potentially affected by recalls in the U.S., per the NHTSA (2023):

1. Honda: 6,334,825 vehicles potentially affected
2. Ford: 6,152,614
3. Kia America: 3,110,447
4. Chrysler: 2,732,398
5. General Motors: 2,021,033
6. Nissan North America: 1,804,443
7. Mercedes-Benz USA: 478,173
8. Volkswagen Group of America: 453,763
9. BMW of North America: 340,249
10. Daimler Trucks North America: 261,959

I would still buy a Toyota and I definitely love my taco. She's been great small truck for a lot of years and a LOT of miles. I do my own maintenance and have replaced the usual wear and tear" items and the stuff that's broke.
That’s the old Toyota. The new Toyota has jumped the shark.

SDHNTR

WKR
I think most people familiar with this would disagree with you. Toyota took the initiative to recall these, which they didn't have to. Other companies, like GM, keep selling trucks with known lifter issues, diesel def system problems, active fuel management problems, etc, with no recall, leaving owners fighting with warranty claims. The old 5.7 v8 had plenty of issues when it was first released, and Toyota made sure to take care of the owners then too when they had to work out the issues, and they did, as that engine is now one of the most reliable you can get in a used truck. This new ttv6 is no different.

No car company can stay in business in such a competitive industry without innovation or a willingness to keep up with current technology. All manufacturers are moving in the same direction, like it or not.
There is a list a mile long of other well known Tundra issues that Toyota is not covering and choosing to ignore.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I dont give .02 about my truck having the latest technology.
What good is it if the thing is constantly breaking down?
Better off resto-modding an old vehicle than buying a new one.
It is apparently rather unfortunate that you (and I) are in the minority with that opinion.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
It is apparently rather unfortunate that you (and I) are in the minority with that opinion.
Add me to your list, just bought a 2007 4 runner v-6 with high mileage but I am greatly enjoying the ride and getting 20-21 mpg with combined city/hwy driving. I'm taking it in this Friday to have a place look over the front end compenents but the engine isn't leaking at all with 248,700 miles. I'll invest in my simple vehicle with no touch screens but big easy to use knobs. Hopefully Toyota gets back to what made them so trustworthy.