Paying extra for shipping protection from businesses

I'm seeing it more and more from all sorts of companies - the option of paying for a third party "shipping protection" service to cover the loss or damage of your item en route. Interested what you guys think of this. I get that this is a free market, and if you don't like it, you don't have to pay for it.

But I'm really disappointed to see a lot of companies that brag on their customer service go in this direction - to nickle and dime the customer and say that "unless you pay this extra fee we won't take care of you." Seems like a major breach of customer service for companies selling high end hunting gear to have a lower standard for themselves than sellers in the rokslide classifieds. After all, if I'm selling something in the classifieds, I see it as my obligation to get the item to the buyer.

Interested in your thoughts. Is this a sign of the decline of customer service? Are companies struggling so much to make a profit that they're having to find little ways to save money every chance they get? I have a theory - that this is the result of more people taking advantage of good customer service to try to get something for nothing from these companies.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve seen this before as well. If a package doesn’t show up are they saying they aren’t responsible? Couldn’t the buyer just dispute it with their cc, if the package isn’t delivered?

I agree with you, but I can't help but wonder how much money companies are losing covering for the jackal's that follow delivery trucks around and steal packages before the buyers even know what happens? It has to be a substantial amount - the day and age we live in, I guess.

I'm not buying shipping protection, that's what my CC is for. You don't want to own that the shipper you used lost my package, that's fine my CC company will gladly refund my money and to be frank I don't want to continue doing business with you if that's the case.

Where I think these "shipping protections" are meant to be used is if the item is delivered and stolen. Thats not really the stores fault, nor is it the shippers fault. I'd have a hard time trying to hold them accountable.

Its like using a lifetime warranty on a 10 year old pair of socks you wore twice a week to work.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I agree with you, but I can't help but wonder how much money companies are losing covering for the jackal's that follow delivery trucks around and steal packages before the buyers even know what happens? It has to be a substantial amount - the day and age we live in, I guess.
My understanding is that once ups or Amazon takes a pictures of the package on your porch, they’re no longer responsible for the package and if a porch piece of shit pirate steals it then it’s on the homeowner.

My understanding is that once ups or Amazon takes a pictures of the package on your porch, they’re no longer responsible for the package and if a porch piece of shit pirate steals it then it’s on the homeowner.
Probably precisely why they do that now.

Now they can show a photo that can be matched up with street view in some cases. Hey look we left it on their porch.

While I think a lot of shipping companies are crappy, I can’t really fault them for this. It’s not like they can control the thieves - why should they be responsible? Same thing I think about the retailer. It’s not their fault some piece of shit stole the item off my porch.

KBC

WKR
I just paid an extra $4 on my camofire order because I didn’t see the box to check to remove the fee. I’m sure I’m an idiot, but, part of me thinks companies are charging this just because it’s an extra revenue stream.

Think about it, how many orders do they get a year? An extra couple of bucks per order probably easily covers lost or damaged packages and puts some extra money in their pocket.

How many of you are like me? Too lazy to put the effort in to remove the charge because it’s only a couple of dollars?

I would like to see a system where as the seller always holds the shipping company financially responsible for the safe and timely delivery of the package to its final destination. This of course so long as the package is properly packed for its expected handling. Isn't that what they are being hired to do? Once the package is picked up by the shipping company they control every aspect of its well being until its delivered. The seller and the buyer have no control at all during transit. I can see why the seller doesn't want to be responsible and also that the buyer doesn't want to either. Seems odd we buy insurance from the same company that should be guaranteeing the products delivery.
Maybe I am missing something. Seems like every other business is responsible for things put in their care.

tony

WKR
Camofire, Kifaru, stage 3 motor sports all extort in the name of “package protection”

Our biggest issue is the mail carrier’s being too stupid and or lazy to put the right mail in the right box.
I’ve received court papers for a guy 2 streets over. And mail for people on the other side of the county.

I worked for a shipping logistics startup for awhile. It's an extra revenue thing and has very little to do with customer service or protecting your package. Somebody (Shipsurance and a few others) had the idea to compete with FedEx, USPS, UPS on insurance. Vendor goes to your favorite outdoor company and says "Hey put our widget on your checkout page and we'll give you XX% of insurance sales". Your favorite outdoor company puts said widget on their checkout page and defaults it to "checked" counting on the fact that a large number of folks won't notice it in their rush to get their gear and get's a kickback from the insurance seller.

Justin (Raz) Rasmussen

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Where I think these "shipping protections" are meant to be used is if the item is delivered and stolen. Thats not really the stores fault, nor is it the shippers fault. I'd have a hard time trying to hold them accountable.

Its like using a lifetime warranty on a 10 year old pair of socks you wore twice a week to work.
You nailed it there. I have resent a pile of orders that have been shown delivered but the purchaser claims to not have recieved. I believe them and just resend the order. Not really my responablity as I have built and shipped said order but I will not be leaving the burden on my customer. Wether that ends up being a sound business choice or not time will tell, but I sleep well knowing we do right by folks giving us their hard earned cash.

WCB

WKR
Once the product is in the hand of the carrier itnis now between the carrier and the customer. Sorry but UPS runs your package over or loses it why should xyz company be held resposible for it. Make a claim with the carrier.

KenLee

WKR
I don't pay the extra $2 on a $40 box of ammo, but do pay the $2 on, for example, an order of $400 in ammo to have the order immediately replaced if it disappears. Haven't needed to use it, so no clue if they actually do replace the order.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered several hundred projectiles a couple weeks ago and shipping was $16. They wanted $16 for shipping insurance. I declined. Won’t be paying that anytime soon.

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
I did away with everything that looked like a nickel and dime operation at my company. Free returns and exchanges for $98 cents now, no restocking fees, and the web platform we use includes insurance into every single shipment. I want my customers to have a stress free experience without fears of spending $10 - $30 more to deal with lost packages, exchanges, or returning something that wasn't a good fit.

We honestly don't deal with a lot of lost shipments and we send out several hundred orders a week via UPS and USPS. Maybe one every few months. And that's the god honest truth.

I'm a middle class guy...so I always try to do right by my people.

I am also self funded and don't have backers, so I always think about the customer before profit. Sadly, that's a dying business trend these days.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
The delivery guy tossed the package on your porch. He’s not even gone and porch pirate has it.

Post office has always had insurance for sale. If it is costly enough it is worth the extra insurance.