Hearing protection for kids

TyT10

FNG
Looking for some feedback on hearing protection for kids. Youth season is right around the corner for us here in MO. All of my stands are setup for bow hunting and close shots. I want my kids to be able to here grunts and fighting and all the sounds, but also be ready when the time comes to shoot with confidence. I have read that there are plugs that can help you hear ambient sound, but blocks out anything loud. Is this real or fake news? Please let me know your thoughts. If it does work what companies/models work best. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish

WKR
First, I used to work in the hearing healthcare industry in new product development with someone who worked with niosh on the new impulse noise standard that got shelved. I researched as much as I could, but honestly there was not that much research (2013-14). In the end, the best protection is electronic muffs over a solid or foam plug. Btw I wear electronic plugs for hunting and this year will be hunting suppressed subsonic with no protection. Imho the best thing is buy a suppressor. If that’s not an option, then electronic muffs.

To hear normally and then block loud impulse noise is the holy grail of hearing protection. With todays technology the best option is something electronic. Either plugs or muffs. Muffs are a lot cheaper, in ear electronic runs a lot more.
passive protection (ie not electronic) that is level dependent is marginal at best. The 3m system which they lost a huge lawsuit, worked better than all the other stuff we tested. Imho their problem was they used crappy earplugs which didn’t seal well making the whole system marginal.

the way the 3m protection works is a really small hole is used and it limits the amount of energy that can flow into the ear. Think small nozzle on a hose. looking at the test data, the max protection was about 15 db at 155 if I remember right. So at best it’s right at hearing safe. Lower noise offers less protection and more doesn’t offer more. There is a white paper out there on the design. It takes a really small hole. Around .010” if I remember right. they also whistle in the wind. Westone offers the one I designed in custom earmolds and has published test data available. Not a cheap option and for a kid who is going to need new ones every year, probably not a good option. The sonic valve style seemed to have too much inertia to work very well. Better than nothing, but not by much.

Sherman

WKR
I may be completely wrong about this, but if I take my kids to the range or we are in a goose pit or duck blind I’m all about hearing protection. If we are out deer or elk hunting and the likelihood of more than two shots is very small, I’m not too worried about hearing protection. Out of the last 5 big game animals we killed only one required a follow-up shot.

Like I said, I am probably completely wrong. Feel free to roast me.

WCB

WKR
We have Champion Vanquish muffs. turn up background noise and cancels out guns shots. My 2 and 4 year old wear them when duck and goose hunting. To young for them to keep them on deer hunting when nothing is going on unless I play music in them through blue tooth.

My wife and I also wear them when duck or goose hunting. No way I am sitting in a deer stand with them or F'n around with them when a shots presents itself but they are a really good option.

Bluefish

WKR
I may be completely wrong about this, but if I take my kids to the range or we are in a goose pit or duck blind I’m all about hearing protection. If we are out deer or elk hunting and the likelihood of more than two shots is very small, I’m not too worried about hearing protection. Out of the last 5 big game animals we killed only one required a follow-up shot.

Won’t roast you, but know that every shot without hearing protection or a silencer is doing damage. it does add up over time. Unfortunately our ears can not heal themselves and damage is cumulative.

I have run peltors for active cancelation for a long time when my kids were night hunting pigs. Muffs in general are a pain in the butt Especially when trying to get a kid to put them on when they need them. Switched to cans and never looked back.

Rich M

WKR
Get some electronic ear muffs - the ones I recently got are about as good as my hearing aids for speech recognition.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider

I feel the same way. As long as you don’t have a muzzle brake or a short barrel, I don’t think one round every now and then from a rifle will do anything. Bird hunting on the other hand- better plug those ears

jmez

WKR
Every round without ear protection does damage. Wish I had thought different when I was younger
Now I can hardly carry on a normal conversation anymore. It sucks.

Do you kids a favor, put ear protection on them, even if it's a single shot from a .22. if they want to ruin their hearing when they are old enough to decide for themselves, so be it. Don't do it for them.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

OP
T

TyT10

FNG
Thanks for the responses. I really want to get something figured out. Will research what you all have said. I’m only 40 and have terrible hearing loss. I just want them to be able to hear what’s happening in the woods. I bow hunt with them a lot and it gets constantly pounded in their head do not move.

Bluefish

WKR
Thanks for the responses. I really want to get something figured out. Will research what you all have said. I’m only 40 and have terrible hearing loss. I just want them to be able to hear what’s happening in the woods. I bow hunt with them a lot and it gets constantly pounded in their head do not move.

While it’s too late for this year, get a can on order for next year. It’s really not hard. Silencer shop and a kiosk make it easy.

OP
T

TyT10

FNG
While it’s too late for this year, get a can on order for next year. It’s really not hard. Silencer shop and a kiosk make it easy.

I will do this for next year. Seems pretty easy these days.

Bluefish

WKR
I will do this for next year. Seems pretty easy these days.

It is easy. I ordered one last December after deer season, now have 2 in hand and 4 more in jail. Once you get all the data entered which isn’t hard if they have a kiosk, ordering more is a few mouse clicks.

btw good choice to be concerned with your kids hearing. Wish I knew what I know now back then and maybe my hearing would be better.

ColeyG

WKR
I’ve been using a pair of Soundgear electronic ear plugs for a few years for waterfowl hunting and have been pretty happy with them. Much easier to tolerate for long periods of time as compared to muffs.

OP
T

TyT10

FNG
It is easy. I ordered one last December after deer season, now have 2 in hand and 4 more in jail. Once you get all the data entered which isn’t hard if they have a kiosk, ordering more is a few mouse clicks.

btw good choice to be concerned with your kids hearing. Wish I knew what I know now back then and maybe my hearing would be better.

I feel like it was a tough guy thing when I was a kid. You tolerated it to impress, but it sucked when a 30-30 went off in your face - especially in a blind. I hate to say it, but there’s a lot of competition to get and keep your kids focused no matter what you do. I want them to enjoy the outdoors. Anything that helps with that I’m all in.