Patagonia donated to fight climate change

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesfromky

WKR
Two things that I feel are worth considering:

The physics behind greenhouse gases are well understood. Burning Fossil fuels releases greenhouse gas.

Yes, the earth goes through cycles, but never at the current rate of change, and never with billions of people that are highly dependent on the climate remaining stable.

So, believe in it or not, nothing is going to change significantly anyway, so we are going to enter the find out phase at some point.

cmahoney

WKR
You seem to know more about this than I do, so please educate me on which types of hunting he opposes. I'm not really interested in getting into a pissing contest over what someone I don't have a personal relationship might or might not do, so I can't really answer for him. My earlier response was only meant to be an indicator of how I think Yvon would respond to a hunter asking to retrieve a killed animal that had run onto his property, based on things he's said in the past.

For the record, I don't buy into the religion of climate change, nor the religion of wokeness. I do buy into the fact that Yvon was hard as F*** back in the day and did some real shit in the mountains that's worthy of respect. I also buy into anyone putting their money where their mouth is also worthy of respect, regardless of whether I agree with every single belief the guy has.

Also see you have a Geology degree... what are your thoughts on the Younger-Dryas Impact Hypothesis being the cause of the previous mass extinction versus the theory that man over hunted those populations and caused their extinction?

eefdc07da22394d16a4ffa8861d873e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the tax benefits are not as good as one would think. From The NY Times:

The trust, which will be overseen by members of the family and their closest advisers, is intended to ensure that Patagonia makes good on its commitment to run a socially responsible business and give away its profits. Because the Chouinards donated their shares to a trust, the family will pay about $17.5 million in taxes on the gift.

The Chouinards then donated the other 98 percent of Patagonia, its common shares, to a newly established nonprofit organization called the Holdfast Collective, which will now be the recipient of all the company’s profits and use the funds to combat climate change. Because the Holdfast Collective is a 501(c)(4), which allows it to make unlimited political contributions, the family received no tax benefit for its donation.

ODB

WKR
Two things that I feel are worth considering:

The physics behind greenhouse gases are well understood. Burning Fossil fuels releases greenhouse gas.

Yes, the earth goes through cycles, but never at the current rate of change, and never with billions of people that are highly dependent on the climate remaining stable.

So, believe in it or not, nothing is going to change significantly anyway, so we are going to enter the find out phase at some point.

The third paragraph is the key.

We either try to mitigate (which, even if you buy into the Paris accord that we can actually control .5c over a century), is essentially impossible, OR you can spend that money on adaptation.

There are FAR too many people raking in billions under the guise their work (ads? Advocacy?) will do a damn thing, and far fewer people coming up with great ideas about how to actually help individuals. We hear a lot about the “most vulnerable” but they are still living in abject poverty, still burning poached wood, still dying at a rate we can’t comprehend. We are the richest and cleanest of the lot, and we are clutching our pearls as though turning up the AC is an inconvenience.

As far as the rate of change - this is completely unknowable over time. Our science is not smart enough to determine that.

ODB

WKR
I think the tax benefits are not as good as one would think. From The NY Times:

The trust, which will be overseen by members of the family and their closest advisers, is intended to ensure that Patagonia makes good on its commitment to run a socially responsible business and give away its profits. Because the Chouinards donated their shares to a trust, the family will pay about $17.5 million in taxes on the gift.

The Chouinards then donated the other 98 percent of Patagonia, its common shares, to a newly established nonprofit organization called the Holdfast Collective, which will now be the recipient of all the company’s profits and use the funds to combat climate change. Because the Holdfast Collective is a 501(c)(4), which allows it to make unlimited political contributions, the family received no tax benefit for its donation.

Read that last sentence again. It’s the political gains that are the real gains here. They aren’t stupid.

WCB

WKR
The guy is worth over $1Billion and is still going to get money from the company along with his family who will maintain control (no way they do this for free). He is 83 and is living on borrowed time. I hardly call that putting his money where his mouth is. His kids are set for life and undoubtedly will avoid the inheritance taxes. So they have to pay $17.5million in taxes on the deal and avoid an approximate $700million....darn only an up side of $682.5 million...what a generous soul.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I've read all the posts and I've come to the conclusion I always come to. All of us care about animals and pollution and keeping the earth clean and livable. The difference in the two camps is naivete. The one's pulling the strings at the top actually know that the crap they spew about going green is all a lie but their base are trusting sheeple that don't know any better. I don't care about anyone's intentions I only care about the results. The result of renewable, carbon neutral power is being seen in California right now. People are driving their $60,000 EV that took 5 times more fossil fuel to produce than a regular car and had to dig an almost literal hole to China to mine for the lithium to store the energy that likely came from natural gas, coal or nuclear because renewables can't come close to providing that type of power. All this is being done while the sheeple are dealing with rolling blackouts and the elites at the top are all snuggly in their mansions with the air turned down the 65 degrees.

These threads always bring out the best in us. What a divisive group we have become. While it is in fact true that the earth as we understand it has always gone through cycles of change climatically; it’s also relevant to understand that billions of people living and extracting resources from it do have an effect.

Billinsd

WKR
We entered the find out phase about 50 or so years ago, or maybe the Industrial Revolution? Nothing is probably going to change significantly, since China, India, and much of the rest of the world are polluting the air, land, and sea like there is no tomorrow. Over population is the core problem regarding all environmental issues. There are not enough resources in the world for everyone to live like Americans. However, I'm not willing to surrender our sovereignty and way of life to Marxist, globalist, hypocrites. I will continue to conserve and not waste, like I've been doing my entire life. Bill

Billinsd

WKR
The guy has or had a 10000 sq ft house here with a heated driveway
Real environmentalist
Like most, he's probably a big hypocrite. The only guy that's not a hypocrite is Ralph Nadar. He's incredibly radical and crazy, but I don't believe he's a hypocrite. I understand he walks his talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.