Painless load development (mine)

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Formidilosus - I've read a lot of your posts and Just coming onto this thread, which makes a lot of sense.

I have tried the "find the lands" method before, and it seemed to work with .243win, 95gr BT and 7828 for about 3000fps.
I loaded different charges and shot for groups, OCW style. All of them were good (good equipment should give good results ), however the slower powder seems to fill the case a bit
I have a bunch of 7828, but also 1pb of RL17 and am going to try that.

Assuming no limitations due to magazine length, does the "boattail to neck-case junction" means the flat bottom of the bullet? or the beggining of the boattail from the bearig surface, or in between? I assume start of the boat-tail, but want your clarification

Different bullets will have different boat-tail length, so they could encroach on the case more than others. At the same time it seems easier than constantly chasing the lands

The start of the boattail at or above, the neck/shoulder junction of the case.

Sponxx

FNG
Thanks guys. It is kind of what I have been doing, though based on a different premise. Will try things using this method. I assume for flatbased bullets like Partitions (which I shoot in the 7mmRM) the same applies ie. Don't seat deeper than neck-case junction
Has there even been the case that too long bullets kiss then lands and end up deeper down? (Would have to seat to lands not case-neck)

Thanks guys. It is kind of what I have been doing, though based on a different premise. Will try things using this method. I assume for flatbased bullets like Partitions (which I shoot in the 7mmRM) the same applies ie. Don't seat deeper than neck-case junction
Has there even been the case that too long bullets kiss then lands and end up deeper down? (Would have to seat to lands not case-neck)
Yes. Opinions vary, but I always try to stay at least 0.020 off the lands