Painless load development (mine)

WestTN2288

Lil-Rokslider
Was disappointed in the TMKs I ordered on sale. Turns out a powder change made all the difference. Would prefer not to use Varget for the .223 as I have other intentions for it, but oh well.

Is that as high as you can go with lever? It doesn’t get entertaining until the last little bit, and I would’ve thought you could go higher than that

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Is that as high as you can go with lever? It doesn’t get entertaining until the last little bit, and I would’ve thought you could go higher than that

Stated at my normal load for 77s, went up half grain (after poor groups) and was getting a little tightness on bolt lift at 26.6gr. Figured I’d change powder after wasting bullets on a couple different charges and based Forms advice at the beginning of the thread.

Really surprised that a powder change makes that big of a difference.

West2East

FNG
I know I can test this all myself but I figured I would ask the question here. I read through this a while ago and have been keeping up with the updates. My question is, for a novice reloader, is there a need to get into neck tension yet? With my limited understanding, in order to control for neck tension you need the bushing dies and that's not something I have yet.
So for anyone with the first hand knowledge, what will the difference be, in group size, of ammo done with the typical RCBS dies sizing/seating vs. measuring and setting neck tension with bushings.
I'll be using RCBS dies to bump the shoulder/size. I also have access to a Lee FCD that I'm on the fence about needing, based on my research.
FWIW Its on a 300wsm and plan to load 180 gr AB. Currently, the gun is shooting Trophy Grade ammo with the 180's(Holy Crap is that expensive) at just above 2MOA(10 shot) so just trying to get below that.

Any input is welcomed.

I know I can test this all myself but I figured I would ask the question here. I read through this a while ago and have been keeping up with the updates. My question is, for a novice reloader, is there a need to get into neck tension yet? With my limited understanding, in order to control for neck tension you need the bushing dies and that's not something I have yet.
So for anyone with the first hand knowledge, what will the difference be, in group size, of ammo done with the typical RCBS dies sizing/seating vs. measuring and setting neck tension with bushings.
I would expect zero proveable difference. If some dude with a 20# benchrest rig who is capable of shooting in the 0.1s tests it, maybe they can see a difference. Run of the mill hunting rifle I'd say its very unlikely.
I'll be using RCBS dies to bump the shoulder/size. I also have access to a Lee FCD that I'm on the fence about needing, based on my research.
FWIW Its on a 300wsm and plan to load 180 gr AB. Currently, the gun is shooting Trophy Grade ammo with the 180's(Holy Crap is that expensive) at just above 2MOA(10 shot) so just trying to get below that.

Any input is welcomed.

A FL die with adequate neck tension should do everything you need. To me the biggest negative is just overworking the brass a bit more. Basically just expect to have necks crack at fewer loadings or need to anneal sooner.

I've never crimped anything so have no input on value added there. My factory browning xbolt 300wsm shot that nosler factory 180 AB very well and did the same with 180 AB over H4350 in handloads.

Harvey_NW

WKR

Any input is welcomed.
I doubt you'd see any measurable improvement, and it would take a lot of rounds to prove it. I use standard FL dies and polish my expander down to .002-3" below bullet diameter for a little more tension on hunting ammo because it may get knocked around, and I use graphite lube in the neck to prevent bullet weld. Here is an example of how meaningless I believe things like neck tension are to a load - I had 5 loaded rounds I needed to pull to diagnose a chambering issue so I loaded them back up and shot them in this 10 shot group. I also needed to check zero because I pulled the scope bases to install recoil pins. This ammo consisted of:
- 5 pcs of brass that were loaded for a couple weeks, then bullets pulled and reloaded with very little NT.
- 5 new pcs of brass with ~.004" interference fit.
- 5 pulled bullets of an old lot
- 5 new bullets from a new lot.

Shot the string as fast as I could load the mag and get settled back in. 90° day so mirage from the can continued to grow through the string. Shot prone off bipod and rear bag.
20240817_110247.jpg

I ordered a forster die today. My cheapo Lee set was giving me 0.008 runout on a lot of rounds. They usually work pretty well but I guess the RGB set is code for trash. I took the expander out and found it sizes all the way down to 0.262 from 0.276 and puts 0.0025 runout on my case neck when sizing! My groups are good, but that may be because I tweaked them straight by hand after seating and measuring. What a pain in the ass process that is. I haven't tested it but I can't imagine 0.008 runout wouldn't have an affect. Either way, my OCD isn't having that.

Forsters neck ID is 0.265-0.266, so I figured that will probably fix it and maybe I'll get it honed at some point.

Going to see if the Lee seater I have will produce acceptable results in combo with the forster FL die.

sveltri

WKR
I ordered a forster die today. My cheapo Lee set was giving me 0.008 runout on a lot of rounds. They usually work pretty well but I guess the RGB set is code for trash. I took the expander out and found it sizes all the way down to 0.262 from 0.276 and puts 0.0025 runout on my case neck when sizing! My groups are good, but that may be because I tweaked them straight by hand after seating and measuring. What a pain in the ass process that is. I haven't tested it but I can't imagine 0.008 runout wouldn't have an affect. Either way, my OCD isn't having that.

Forsters neck ID is 0.265-0.266, so I figured that will probably fix it and maybe I'll get it honed at some point.

Going to see if the Lee seater I have will produce acceptable results in combo with the forster FL die.

I spec’d a Forster 6 creed die at .2685, ended up being too big for alpha brass but good for others.