Packing Solution For A Big (overweight) Guy

Langadune

FNG
I'm 6'0" and 260 lbs. This is a problem and I'm working on it, but I know I won't lose enough inches before my hunt in September. I'm on a fitness plan, building up my legs and my lungs, but again, my gut will probably still be there this year. My main problem is the waste belt on my pack--due to my stomache--rides lower than intended so more weights rests on my hips/pelvis.

Anyone have a similar issue and solution (other than lose the gut)?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Much of the weight should be on your hips/pelvis. That is ideal, when your hips need a break, tighten up shoulder straps and transfer more to them and then reverse when shoulders need a break.

I would hammer out cardio and watch your diet for fast, quick and healthy results to getting rid of your gut.

Good luck and glad you taking positive steps toward your goal.

Curtis C

WKR
I was 260 a few months ago so I'm familiar with your situation. The problem I have with my gut is if I try to put the belt at the same location as my pants then the pack belt is too low to get good steady support. I have found that my K pack works great if I run the belt over my naval rather than trying to get the belt below the gut. I have to use a large belt to accomplish this but it does work. I'm happy to say I will need to order a medium belt real soon.

Last edited:

Ray

WKR
I have experience with this.
You need to have the hip belt on your hip bones. If it rides too low it is on the tops of your femurs and all that causes is pain and suffering.
If your love handles are too thick they will not let the hip belt wrap well and lock in to your pelvis.
If your hip belt will not fit around you like it should make a belt extender with a spare buckle.

OP
L

Langadune

FNG
The belt is large enough to get around my waste, my gut just won't let it ride any higher. There is discomfort when hiking with a loaded pack... maybe it is riding on my femur. Right now, I'm toughing it out in the hopes that my weight and proportion issues will begin to work themselves out.

Make sure your pack fits right. If the shoulder strap is set to far from the hip belt then the belt will slip off your belly and hips leaving all the weight on your shoulders. If the distance is too short than the weight again is not sitting properly on your hips leaving all the weight on the shoulders. Once properly set, as noted above, you can adjust accordingly during the day.

Shrek

WKR
I'm a pretty big guy myself and CurtisC is right. Belt buckle over the navel . There is no dignity after this as the belt squeezes the belly mostly up and out with a little squeezing lower. You will look freakish but thats just more motivation and besides , nobody will care in bfe.

Curtis C hit it on the head, either because he knows or unintentionally! Your hip belt/waist belt needs to rest on the top of your hip bone to do its job properly. If you draw a line across the left and right top edge of your hip bone it will normally go through your navel. Most people don't realize that it is that high, probably because most of us position the belt of our pants in the middle of our hips so we think that is where our pack waist belt should ride.

Positioning the buckle of your waist belt over your navel will position it correctly and will hopefully avoid your extra counterbalance up front. :rolleyes: BTW, I had the same problem.

Larry

Do what I'm doing, take an alpine trout BP trip and take "some" of the calories you need and let your trout diet make up the difference. Great way to lose weight without dieting. You are just camping. You're building skills and getting comfortable with your gear at the same time.

colonel00

WKR
I can feel your pain on this one as well so I wanted to revisit this thread. I spent yesterday afternoon doing a little urban adventure that was just under a 5 mile hike to a river, float on a packraft and then hike 3 miles back home. Granted, it was mostly flat and paved most of the way but hey, that is what I have to work with.

Anyway, I had my Nomad on a Duplex frame and the PR-49 loaded up with a few other things. I think the pack came in just under 45lbs. No matter how hard I tried, I could not keep the belt riding up on my hips. As with others, I am fighting to lose a chunk of flab so I have a little bit of a belly and some handles. My main issue was no matter how tight I pulled on the belt, the belt just wanted to migrate down after a period of time.

Anyway, keep up the fight and don't think you are alone.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep I suffer from the same issue. I also switched out belts to a more crushing over cupping belt. I use a Hill People Prairie gear belt. Seems to be alot more support for me. The belts are 95$ but worth it. They are adjustable also as you can pull or add padding to the belt depending on your needs.

OP
L

Langadune

FNG
Thanks for the support guys... good to know I'm not alone in this. When all your buddies are in pretty good shape, you feel like the odd man out sometimes.

SHTF, curious about that Hill People belt. Looks pretty wide, almost like a weight lifting/back support belt. What's it do for you?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
its customizable and can add or remove foam inserts to get the most comfortable fit. Its really no wider then the Kifaru Belt. Just different shape. It does a more crushing effect for me which Keeps the belt where I want it, instead of a cupping affect like the other belts do. This is what is most comfortable for me. Results may vary obviously. ;D