Lessons Learned from a rookie sheep hunter

Hi Everyone,

I just completed my first ever guided Dall Sheep hunt in AK. Unbelievable experience in so many ways. I thought sharing some lessons learned might help other first timers prepare for their dream hunt so here it goes…

Fitness:
Can’t say enough about how challenging the terrain and conditions are. I have always stayed in good shape but for the last 2 years I focused my training to prepare for this hunt. I trained 5-6 days per week for 1-1.5 hours. Combination of core strength, weights, cardio, rucking with heavy pack & mountain biking. Still wasn’t enough as the hunt was harder than that. Also hard to train for the uneven, rocky terrain that puts constant strain on ankles, knees, hips and back from stumbling through sheep country with a heavy pack.

Gear:
I probably spent way too much time thinking about how to cut weight and still brought more than I needed. In hindsight, there are several items I could/should have shared with my guide. Ex: jetboil, optics, rangefinder, etc. I ended up leaving some things in our spike camp that i shared with the guide. Lighter would have been better.

On the positive side, I did all my training rucks and hikes in my actual hunting boots with my actual hunting pack. Both were familiar to me and well broken in on the hunt. Highly recommend this practice.

Electronics:
I brought 2 power banks with 10,000 mah capacity each to recharge my Iphone, Inreach and Garmin watch. Moderate use of each device. I took lots of pics with the phone but did not actively run GPS or tracking apps. I turned the inreach off at night. 1 battery with 10,000 mah lasted 5 days. I moved onto battery #2 on day 6. 2 x 10,000 mah batteries was the right answer for me.

Hydration:
I carried a 3L hydration bladder full of water + a 20 oz bottle I filled with sports drink. This lasted pretty much the whole day. I got muscle cramps the first 2 days. On day 3, I started drinking a full 20oz sports drink before we set out for the day and also started putting salt on my already very salty freeze-dried meals. This solved the issue.

Mental preparation:
My outfitter hosted 10 hunters. 4 of the 10 quit before filling their tag or running out of time. Some left for injuries, some just quit. I knew it would be a tough hunt, but this was even harder than I expected; I imagine those who left early were overwhelmed with the challenge. I think the lesson here is to be ready for setbacks.

Example: we spent the first 2 days getting into position on a ram we saw from a long distance. We used the terrain to shield our approach. Got within 100 yds, regained sight, then determined he was sublegal. We had to dig deep to start over. On day 3 we did a long stalk on a band of rams. Got to within 700 yards and set up the rest of the day to wait for them to close the distance. As the sun faded, we heard a shot. Few mins later 2 hunters came to claim their prize. A day or 2 later a wolf spooked the herd we had been stalking. Another day the wind shifted and the group busted us. We finally closed the deal on day 7; and it was a long way- on the backside of the mountain- back to camp.

We all know these things happen on hunts. It’s just hard to take it in stride with the physical output required to get there, then get back to camp after a missed opportunity, then go do it again.

Overall, it was an absolutely amazing experience. One of the most challenging and rewarding things I have ever done. I hope my lessons learned help the next rookie sheep hunter!

Solid report. Good share.

Always learn lessons from others and key is to NOT repeat those learned mistakes (often easier said than done)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbeard64

WKR
Good post and advice. I don’t think the challenges (both physical and mental) can be conveyed in words. Especially on a tough hunt.

As for the gear thing, I haven’t yet met a first time sheep hunter who didn’t bringing too much stuff. Myself included. 😅

OP
WashedUp1775
Thanks for the info on Alaska, did you know there were other hunters stalking the band you were?
We saw a tent on a distant ridge. Could not know where the hunters were until the shot. I doubt they ever saw us.

OP
WashedUp1775

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
    584.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1329.jpeg
    IMG_1329.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1316.jpeg
    IMG_1316.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1315.jpeg
    IMG_1315.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 225
Nice report and good advice. The mental aspect is something hard to prepare for but it learn about yourself while you are in it

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Fitness:
Can’t say enough about how challenging the terrain and conditions are. I have always stayed in good shape but for the last 2 years I focused my training to prepare for this hunt. I trained 5-6 days per week for 1-1.5 hours. Combination of core strength, weights, cardio, rucking with heavy pack & mountain biking. Still wasn’t enough as the hunt was harder than that. Also hard to train for the uneven, rocky terrain that puts constant strain on ankles, knees, hips and back from stumbling through sheep country with a heavy pack.
Great write-up. Stone and Dall's are on the list... But first, Mountain Goat in 4 weeks. In regards to the fitness prep - what would you add, if you were to go back?

OP
WashedUp1775
Nice Fieldcraft/NXS setup 👌🏼.
How old was the ram, out of curiosity?
Good recce on the rifle! Ram was 8. Full curl right side. Broke off about 3”
Great write-up. Stone and Dall's are on the list... But first, Mountain Goat in 4 weeks. In regards to the fitness prep - what would you add, if you were to go back?
Great question! I don’t know how to do this, but I would try to find a way to condition the ankles, knees, and hips for the rugged terrain. Also, I would have put more emphasis on long, heavy pack hikes than on mountain biking. Maybe stadium stairs with weighted pack??

Good luck on your goat hunt!!

Eagle

WKR
Good recce on the rifle! Ram was 8. Full curl right side. Broke off about 3”

Great question! I don’t know how to do this, but I would try to find a way to condition the ankles, knees, and hips for the rugged terrain. Also, I would have put more emphasis on long, heavy pack hikes than on mountain biking. Maybe stadium stairs with weighted pack??

Good luck on your goat hunt!!
For the ankles/knees/hips, trail running on rough trails is great for those stabilizing muscles. Rucking on similar terrain will also help a lot.

Nice write up. Congrats on the hunt.

Nice rifle rig, too. They didn't offer the FC's in LH, so I never had a chance to run one myself.

As far as training, I, too, have found that leg/hip/lower back muscle conditioning for rough terrain is of equal importance to cardio.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
I echo a lot of what you said. Mental game is one part, especially if you don't understand what you are getting into. We saw rams on day 1 just not old enough. Then went 3 days all day hikes before we saw more sheep. Really only saw 3 different bands of rams in 9 days. One group too young, one group wind shift and never got to age, and last group had shooters.
Lots of prep before the hunt with weights/cardio/boots and backpack but it's tough to explain much less prepare for some of the physical challenges.
For me walking on moving boulders, slate rock, navigating loose rocks, sidehilling was a tough challenge. Navigating terrain on those peaks where I was thinking if one of these rocks give way I'm probably sliding off this mountain and getting seriously injured. The young guide meanwhile is skipping around on the rocks like a mountain goat. Had a couple falls--nothing craze, broke my trekking pole--3-400# boulder fell on it narrowly missing my leg. Twisted my knee on one of the falls about day 7 and didn't think much of it. Few hours later swelled a bit and at one point had pain on the lateral portion of my knee like I've never felt before. I didn't know if I could do it anymore, but I refused to give up. Lateral sidehilling was the worst pain---ice pick to the knee type pain with each step. I just slowed to an almost painful pace for my guide and pushed through and made it happen. Ibuprofen, and attempted to tape my knee. I underestimated the intensity and situations I'd be faced with. Likewise I'm sure that everyones experience is different as is guides, terrain, etc. I'm doing another one though so there's that. Makes for some nice memories.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this!

I'll add to the list

Fitness- I've been hiking almost everyday for the last two years- single track trails, 3-12 miles (averaging 40 miles/week) with lots of elevation gain/loss. Strength training twice a week (squats/bench one day, deadlifts/overhead press the other). I started rucking 8 weeks out, started with 30 lbs, ended w/ 60 lbs.

I was in pretty good shape, but between the tundra (new to me), the brush, the climbs and the rock- it was still a very tough hunt physically.

If could change one thing it to would to be spend more miles off trail, on rock and sidehilling. I did some of that, I could have done more.

Bottom line, do not scrimp on fitness.

Mental- so I mentioned tundra above, that stuff sucks- it's like postholing but without the snow! I had to block that out, slow down and just go with the flow- not easy to do (for me anyways).

We had pretty good weather, BUT we got totally smoked out for the first three days (100+ fires to the south). To say I was getting stressed would be a huge understatement. Three days stuck on a gravel bar not knowing of the smoke would lift fully tested my mental fortitude.

Bottom line, a sheep hunt is almost assuredly going to throw a wrench (or two or three) into your plans- be prepared, but don't dispair.

Range time- I spent two full weeks prior to the hunt going to the range everyday (well not weekends, too crowded). I got my rifle well sighted in and then spent the remainder time (and rounds) shooting plates from 200 to 500 yards. Not shooting from a bench at all (save sighting in) but with a bipod, tripod and pack- prone, sitting and kneeling. As the days went by, there was fairly dramatic improvement in my shooting. That built confidence and that confidence led to better shooting.

I ended up shooting my ram at 420 yards- much farther than I was hoping (300 yards and in was what I was hoping for!). Made a perfect shot, going to give the Big Guy upstairs for a lot of that credit, he was definitely watching out for me! :)

If I could change one thing is I would get a steel ram built and spend some time off of the range, hiking into some steep areas (getting some fitness work in at the same time! :D) and get some shooting in at steep angles, up and down.

Bottom line, do not scrimp on range time- you want to be confident in that longer shot if that's what's presented.

Gear - I'd echo the above about getting used to the pack your going to use, along with the boots. No reason to ruck w/o what you're intending on using.

I'd further recommend that for all your gear- can you pitch your shelter quickly in inclement weather, use your stove, etc. Getting out backpacking several trips with the gear you intend on bringing lets you find out firsthand if changes need to be made and confidence in the gear that works.

This goes for optics as well. I brought relatively new optics, but spent several trips getting used to using the tripod, the spotter, etc. It also improved my glassing- like anything, more practice, better results.

Bottom line, get out and use all your gear beforehand.

I'll echo that despite the challenges, a sheep hunt is going to be one of the most amazing things you're likely to experience! :)

OP
WashedUp1775
Thanks for posting this!

I'll add to the list

Fitness- I've been hiking almost everyday for the last two years- single track trails, 3-12 miles (averaging 40 miles/week) with lots of elevation gain/loss. Strength training twice a week (squats/bench one day, deadlifts/overhead press the other). I started rucking 8 weeks out, started with 30 lbs, ended w/ 60 lbs.

I was in pretty good shape, but between the tundra (new to me), the brush, the climbs and the rock- it was still a very tough hunt physically.

If could change one thing it to would to be spend more miles off trail, on rock and sidehilling. I did some of that, I could have done more.

Bottom line, do not scrimp on fitness.

Mental- so I mentioned tundra above, that stuff sucks- it's like postholing but without the snow! I had to block that out, slow down and just go with the flow- not easy to do (for me anyways).

We had pretty good weather, BUT we got totally smoked out for the first three days (100+ fires to the south). To say I was getting stressed would be a huge understatement. Three days stuck on a gravel bar not knowing of the smoke would lift fully tested my mental fortitude.

Bottom line, a sheep hunt is almost assuredly going to throw a wrench (or two or three) into your plans- be prepared, but don't dispair.

Range time- I spent two full weeks prior to the hunt going to the range everyday (well not weekends, too crowded). I got my rifle well sighted in and then spent the remainder time (and rounds) shooting plates from 200 to 500 yards. Not shooting from a bench at all (save sighting in) but with a bipod, tripod and pack- prone, sitting and kneeling. As the days went by, there was fairly dramatic improvement in my shooting. That built confidence and that confidence led to better shooting.

I ended up shooting my ram at 420 yards- much farther than I was hoping (300 yards and in was what I was hoping for!). Made a perfect shot, going to give the Big Guy upstairs for a lot of that credit, he was definitely watching out for me! :)

If I could change one thing is I would get a steel ram built and spend some time off of the range, hiking into some steep areas (getting some fitness work in at the same time! :D) and get some shooting in at steep angles, up and down.

Bottom line, do not scrimp on range time- you want to be confident in that longer shot if that's what's presented.

Gear - I'd echo the above about getting used to the pack your going to use, along with the boots. No reason to ruck w/o what you're intending on using.

I'd further recommend that for all your gear- can you pitch your shelter quickly in inclement weather, use your stove, etc. Getting out backpacking several trips with the gear you intend on bringing lets you find out firsthand if changes need to be made and confidence in the gear that works.

This goes for optics as well. I brought relatively new optics, but spent several trips getting used to using the tripod, the spotter, etc. It also improved my glassing- like anything, more practice, better results.

Bottom line, get out and use all your gear beforehand.

I'll echo that despite the challenges, a sheep hunt is going to be one of the most amazing things you're likely to experience! :)
Awesome inputs!! Thank you for sharing.

ACK8

FNG
Great write up.

I returned from my first sheep hunt about a week ago and I would totally agree with what has been written by WashedUp1775, kybuck1 and mtwarden.
I was in decent physical shape, but you just cannot simulate the rock walking on steep slopes with as kybuck1 said "...if one of these rocks give way I'm probably sliding off this mountain and getting seriously injured.". That can be a strong mental challenge. That is especially true on the way down, at the end of the day, when you are tired.
Also, if you have the possibility of long range shooting practice, take advantage of it. I had drop chart numbers for my setup, but I never was able to practice at over 200 yds.
On the last day of my hunt, we were on a large ram at 500 yds. The guide decided we should wait and see where they would go to bed, as it was only around noon, and then try to close in on them, as we were stuck where we were.
Unfortunately, when they moved, we somehow completely lost them. I did not press the guide about taking a long distance shot, but I certainly second guessed not doing that after they disappeared. I was kicking myself for the next couple of hours, until we somehow, unbelievably, caught up with a band on rams that contained a legal ram that I shot at 5pm on that last day.
Bottom line is, practice at long distance and get comfortable, so you won't be kicking yourself on that last day when a long distance opportunity presents itself.