Big Guy Comparison - EXO K4 vs 8700 Termius

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Everyone! I thought I might share a specific perspective after ordering the SG 8700 Terminus and The EXO K4 7200.

I'm an above-average guy when it comes to body size and I have a very hard time finding packs and clothes that fit. Since I had both of these packs side by side I wanted to give some feedback to help guys like me.

Size:
6'3"
290lb
56" chest
62" Girth
40" waist
XXXL Sitka Top (XXXL KUIU fits tight in the shoulders)
XL Sitka Bottom

1) Overall
  • Having both of these packs side by side, it's very clear we are headed to the best packs have ever been while also being similar in a few ways. Very impressive quality and build with both.

2) Weight
  • The simplest way to put this.. When the SG 8700 was delivered and I was handed the box, my first thought was "this is empty". That's how light that pack feels. We are to a point now where an 8700 cu in' pack is lighter than most day packs.
  • The EXO was similar but no doubt the heavier of the 2. it's a 1lb difference.
3) Features
  • They both work. They do what they say they do. This is a preference thing but I wanted to fill the gap.
4) Fit
  • SG 8700 - No dice with the largest option ordered. I was needing 10" more webbing everywhere. Phil at SG was incredible to work with and he was very clear that they could custom-make(for less than I thought it would be). If you want an SG pack just call Phil. He was incredibly understanding, knew his stuff, and didn't waste my time. They are thinking of finally making XXXL and adding an XL Belt to standard products. If you're interested in this - CALL THEM. They need feedback for their next run of gear.
  • K4 - For a guy my size with my challenges finding stuff - This is easily the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. For context, I've had 1 of the last 3 Montana-made Metcalfs to leave the shop in Bozeman with a few custom additions, for years now. I've tried finding an upgrade for years but that was the only thing I could make fit. The K4 Belt is very impressive and it wraps correctly on me AND spreads the weight out around the waist comfortably. I put 70lbs in it and it felt great. Excited to use it this season. Shoulder straps have plenty of webbing and I could reach everything on the pack while it was on. I bought the tallest frame and it fit very well. I have to point out that if you have a built upper body with a pronounced arch to the small of your back, this frame fits like a glove. Very well thought out. It doesn't feel like a board strapped to you.

Happy to answer any questions. Again, I know us Big Guys struggle with gear that's originally designed for the Large T-Shirt crowd, which is the bulk, and I thought I would help where I could.

To give credit @Justin Crossley was a large influence in making sure both of these were in front of me before making the decision.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
@Justin Crossley Thanks, I know it's a small crowd but there are so many known adjustments that bigger guys have to keep in mind with this hunting gear. Specifically, our gear is just bigger so usually we need the next size pack. My Metcalf was a 3-day bag with every seem stretched. That's why I went to the 7200.

There are lots of other nuances and categories of items where there are only 2-3 variations in the world, available in the needed sizing.

Hey Everyone! I thought I might share a specific perspective after ordering the SG 8700 Terminus and The EXO K4 7200.

I'm an above-average guy when it comes to body size and I have a very hard time finding packs and clothes that fit. Since I had both of these packs side by side I wanted to give some feedback to help guys like me.

Size:
6'3"
290lb
56" chest
62" Girth
40" waist
XXXL Sitka Top (XXXL KUIU fits tight in the shoulders)
XL Sitka Bottom

1) Overall
  • Having both of these packs side by side, it's very clear we are headed to the best packs have ever been while also being similar in a few ways. Very impressive quality and build with both.

2) Weight
  • The simplest way to put this.. When the SG 8700 was delivered and I was handed the box, my first thought was "this is empty". That's how light that pack feels. We are to a point now where an 8700 cu in' pack is lighter than most day packs.
  • The EXO was similar but no doubt the heavier of the 2. it's a 1lb difference.
3) Features
  • They both work. They do what they say they do. This is a preference thing but I wanted to fill the gap.
4) Fit
  • SG 8700 - No dice with the largest option ordered. I was needing 10" more webbing everywhere. Phil at SG was incredible to work with and he was very clear that they could custom-make(for less than I thought it would be). If you want an SG pack just call Phil. He was incredibly understanding, knew his stuff, and didn't waste my time. They are thinking of finally making XXXL and adding an XL Belt to standard products. If you're interested in this - CALL THEM. They need feedback for their next run of gear.
  • K4 - For a guy my size with my challenges finding stuff - This is easily the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. For context, I've had 1 of the last 3 Montana-made Metcalfs to leave the shop in Bozeman with a few custom additions, for years now. I've tried finding an upgrade for years but that was the only thing I could make fit. The K4 Belt is very impressive and it wraps correctly on me AND spreads the weight out around the waist comfortably. I put 70lbs in it and it felt great. Excited to use it this season. Shoulder straps have plenty of webbing and I could reach everything on the pack while it was on. I bought the tallest frame and it fit very well. I have to point out that if you have a built upper body with a pronounced arch to the small of your back, this frame fits like a glove. Very well thought out. It doesn't feel like a board strapped to you.

Happy to answer any questions. Again, I know us Big Guys struggle with gear that's originally designed for the Large T-Shirt crowd, which is the bulk, and I thought I would help where I could.

To give credit @Justin Crossley was a large influence in making sure both of these were in front of me before making the decision.
Hey Magnum, Cheers for the write up. If you don't mind me asking, how does the terminus carry compared to the removable frame packs from stone glacier? I've been looking at the Terminus 8700 but being located in Australia I have no way of actually looking at one properly before pulling the trigger on one. I can't tell if the frame system with the terminus is the same as the standalone frames but just sewn into the pack.

Cheers.

Antonio.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Magnum, Cheers for the write up. If you don't mind me asking, how does the terminus carry compared to the removable frame packs from stone glacier? I've been looking at the Terminus 8700 but being located in Australia I have no way of actually looking at one properly before pulling the trigger on one. I can't tell if the frame system with the terminus is the same as the standalone frames but just sewn into the pack.

Cheers.

Antonio.
Happy to help. The Terminus seemed like a great pack and it's very similar to the other SG models when referring to carry. I would talk with Phil at SG and he will be able to give you exacts.

The Terminus IS what packs in the future will be like. It's very impressive and it was hard to send back.

I have many friends around the world. Happy to help, I understand the struggle

Happy to help. The Terminus seemed like a great pack and it's very similar to the other SG models when referring to carry. I would talk with Phil at SG and he will be able to give you exacts.

The Terminus IS what packs in the future will be like. It's very impressive and it was hard to send back.

I have many friends around the world. Happy to help, I understand the struggle
Cheers Magnum. I've got the kuiu 24" and 26" frame along with all their pro packs and the Krux and xcurve frames along with the sky guide 7900 and serac 1700. The stone glacier fits great so if the fit is similar with the terminus I think it'll be a great pack. I'll order one as soon as I have the funds I think.

Cheers for your help.

Antonio.