Packing meat in trail running shoes?

roymunson

WKR
Might all be fine if you are on flat smooth ground, but that is not usually where elk are found. I much prefer ankle support when traversing down lodgepole and rocks.
This...

I also have ankles that are almost complete garbage. Higher boots and more support = not rolling an ankle on the way out. that'd take the fun out of things quickly for me

RedGreen

FNG
I have my answer, definitely wearing boots. Appreciate the advice guys

One solution nobody mentioned was to look at modern combat boots, Danners Rockys etc they are lighter than a full on book and feel more like a running shoe but have a pretty remarkable amount of ankle support for what they are. I have packed 100lb loads through some pretty uneven (albeit flat overall) Swamp terrain, logs streams heavy timber etc and they have been great. I went this way also because I wanted a boot that would not hold water and let it drain in/out fast. It is inevitable in my areas that your boots will get fully soaked unless you wear wading pants or waders, and I sweat bad in those when doing almost anything unless it's 40 degrees out.

I have a pair of S2Vs and they've been great to me. Worth a look at the least I think.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would highly suggest avoiding the Danner Rockys. During the customer discovery of sled development while interviewing soldiers from AK about what gear works and doesn't hold up to conditions....in that one room we counted 11 troops with Danners that were falling apart at the soles. Several soldiers in Finland (test area for sled pkg) could flip flop their Danners to show me what socks they were wearing. I was stunned and it ruined my impression of Danner military boots.

RedGreen

FNG
That is very interesting Larry. Mine have spent a significant if not majority of their service in my hands (feet?) soaking wet, no issues to speak of so far. Obviously I cannot discount their experiences, all I know is what I have seen myself.

Overdrive

WKR
I have my answer, definitely wearing boots. Appreciate the advice guys
I've found that Mid height Merrell hiking boots have served me well, they give me ankle support and are light weight. I put on about 150 miles on mine last archery season and they were very comfortable compared to a "hunting boot" my feet felt better and I wouldn't hesitate to use them for packing, the soles have good cushion on the model I have (don't know if they are still made) they are waterproof but not made for real deep water, I always retreat them and have worked well.

................. I was stunned and it ruined my impression of Danner military boots.
about 14 years ago I had all the people telling me that I should buy danners for the job i was in. I bought danners and Danner did not stand behind the construction because in their words "you neglected your boots". Got a 2nd set and was up on oiling them and cleaning them and they fell apart the same way... I'm thinking Danner was a great boot 25 years ago and let their standards slide. I'll never own danners again unless they're free and I need a farm work boot I don't mind trashing

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve used the same model of boot for decades. About 10 years ago I had construction coworkers who gave me crap about what they considered heavy boots (I wear the same boots at work that I hunt in). One likes ultra light shoes no more supportive than low top basketball shoes. The other has 8” tall work boots, but never tightens the laces so they slip on and off.

After 8 years working together we were talking about ankle injuries. Both of them had rolled their ankles a number of times and thought they had permanent injuries. My ankles are fine and I’ve never lost any time for ankle injuries.

This same situation is repeated across the west in multiples occupations and hobbies with guys who love light weight boots and occasionally have to carry heavy weight over rough terrain - over time it catches up with them.

One 6’2’ 200lb friend is an ultra marathon trail runner and is the most physically capable human I’ve ever hiked with - he could get away with packing that weight in Chuck Taylor’s.

All the guys who haven’t had an injury still talk about how it’s not an issue, but the ones who have stretched out ankles are less quick to talk about it. I enjoy the mountains too much to risk a catastrophic ankle mess - not every injury recovers 100% surgery or not.