Switching to Tennis Shoes / Trail Runners from Mountaineering Boots.

nphunter

WKR
Just got back from a mule deer backpacking hunt. We spent a week hunting, took the floorless and stove for a shelter also had to pack our water in 3gal ea. With all the late season gear we ended up with packs near 80lbs.

I wore my Scarpa Grand Dru’s which I wear often and have had great luck with. I carried some old worn out Brooks Running shoes for camp shoes as well. We found a spring about 1.5miles from camp and each time we passed it we could bring a couple gallons back each with a dry bag.

Anyway after a couple days of 10+ mile days and a ton of elevation I started to have some knee/IT band issues on my left leg and also had a some hotspots from all the steep ascents. I decided to lighten up the pack for the day so I left my kill kit since there were two of us and left the big spotter at camp. I also decided to toss on the running shoes for the morning hunt. I couldn’t believe the difference, I felt like a whole new person and went from having cashed out legs to felling like I could climb all day long. We end up killing a buck that evening so I packed him out with the tennis shoes 5 miles, not sure how much it weighted but my Kifaru, one hind, one front quarter, half the neck meat, a back strap and loin. Q’s bone in. Plus my gun and gear. I was a little worried about the weight but it felt great and so did my feet. I wore the shoes the rest of the trip and even on the two trips out of there, one with the deer and one with camp.

I was a little worried about cactus but kept a close eye on them. The shoes probably only has 1/4” of foam left between the ground and my feet, most of the rubber was worn from them from years of use but they still worked awesome.

Anyway, moving forward I’m switching to shoes anytime it makes since. I just ordered some Merrell Nova 2’s last night and some seal skin socks for my late season mule deer hunt that starts next weekend. I will still keep my several pair of mountaineering boots for hunting elk in the downfall.

I cannot believe how much I enjoyed the light shoes, I’ve been hunting in heavy boots for years. I had already put several hundred miles in the boots this fall prior to this hunt. I’ve been hunting since august antelope and my legs are in pretty darn good mountain shape too.

1E2C52C8-46C6-4D98-BA48-673487E9D615.jpeg

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I've tried light hikers and tennis shoes for elk hunting, and they're a definite "no go" for me. But I've never really experienced fatigue from my boots before. They're just an extension of my body.
I’ve always felt the same, I’ve had my grand Dru’s for several years and normally wear some Scarpa e-revolutions in warmer weather. I’m defiantly keeping the boots but plan on wearing the shoes in more open country for sure.

dtrkyman

WKR
I packed in 8 miles fly fishing with Salmon trail runners, 35lb pack or so, on trail with 1200ish elevation, one sketchy rocky part of the trail. Pretty much a non issue with the shoes.

One year in Colorado I was wearing really light Merrel hikers, my knees and ankles were sore after a couple days climbing a nasty scree covered peak to get into a basin, switched to my heavy Asolo 520s and ankle and knee issues were gone!

feanor

WKR
I started out with trail runners and then switched to heavy boots for protection. Then I settled on a lightweight boot like Lapponia/ altitudes for a middle ground. Definitely don’t like a stiff boot though.
A lot of people wear the stiff boots for support or because they have light bulb ankles that blow out. But if you feel better using trail runners etc, why not use them? Better than feeling miserable at camp.

hjg_wy

FNG
I've used trail runners a bit, but have come to prefer 'approach' shoes because they are a bit more robust and stick to rock a lot better than trail runners. Approach shoes were designed for climbers that need to scramble around to get to the base of a climb, so they are great for mountain travel. I agree it's nice to have light feet. I will use boots/gaiters once it gets nasty, but for early season, the approach shoes are great.

Awesome. I know there's a strong tradition of heavy duty boots for the backcountry but the last several years I've been using lightweight minimalist style shoes (Frank church area and N Idaho), big miles off trail, scree slopes, deadfall, you name it. I'm a big proponent. If your ankle is restricted from moving laterally those forces are translated into your knees which can't accommodate it, causing a lot of stress on your knees. Another advantage is lightweight shoes force you to walk more carefully which is both quieter and reduces risk of injury. There was definitely an adjustment period where my feet, ankles, and calves got stronger and more flexible but now that I've been wearing wide flat and low shoes for a while normal shoes have become an unwearable coffin for my feet

I’ve use boots and I’ve tried lightweight shoes. I like them, they are quieter for
Bowhunting etc. The thing I found was that the boots just protect my feet so much better from rocks and sticks. Just better support
For heavy loads. I use boots for that reason.

I've used trail runners a bit, but have come to prefer 'approach' shoes because they are a bit more robust and stick to rock a lot better than trail runners. Approach shoes were designed for climbers that need to scramble around to get to the base of a climb, so they are great for mountain travel. I agree it's nice to have light feet. I will use boots/gaiters once it gets nasty, but for early season, the approach shoes are great.
What approach shoes do you like?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something about a trail runner sole being rigid yet flexible enough, softer material doesn’t rub as hard and the foot bed seems to be a two stage material feeling soft at first but doesn’t flatten out easily. I’m definitely a believer in minimizing your footwear weight (within reason of your activity) mine weigh half of what my boots do yet feel like 1/4.

Last edited:
Get yourself in shape and work your way into minimalist/barefoot style shoes. If you do it right you'll never look back and you'll never feel better. Key words... Get in shape and transition correctly.

You can stalk quieter, move faster and easier on rough terrain like boulder and scree fields, etc. The only downside is that the options for quality leather minimalist boots are nearly non-existent

This is an interesting thread, I really expected to read more responses. I go back and forth between them, but my footwear choice really depends on what I am doing. Unless I am out on a hike with the wife with a zero chance of leaving the trail, I am in boots, generally mountaineering boots made by Scarpa. I will use their approach shoes for daily wear and light hikes with the mrs.

Every time I have worn something other than my boots, I end up walking further or up/down something that I shouldn’t be without boots. Jacks my ankles, knees and hips up for a few days. I always think I have learned my lesson, but I will always think it won’t happen this time…..

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is an interesting thread, I really expected to read more responses. I go back and forth between them, but my footwear choice really depends on what I am doing. Unless I am out on a hike with the wife with a zero chance of leaving the trail, I am in boots, generally mountaineering boots made by Scarpa. I will use their approach shoes for daily wear and light hikes with the mrs.

Every time I have worn something other than my boots, I end up walking further or up/down something that I shouldn’t be without boots. Jacks my ankles, knees and hips up for a few days. I always think I have learned my lesson, but I will always think it won’t happen this time…..

You have to slowly transition and build your feet, legs, and knees up. Going from mostly boots to minimal shoes in any terrain, let alone rocky/steep without an adequate transition and strength program will result in disaster.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ve use boots and I’ve tried lightweight shoes. I like them, they are quieter for
Bowhunting etc. The thing I found was that the boots just protect my feet so much better from rocks and sticks. Just better support
For heavy loads. I use boots for that reason.
^this if you are running around with a day pack shoes are probably fine, doing any sort of meat packing or heavy hauling, gotta have my boots

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
^this if you are running around with a day pack shoes are probably fine, doing any sort of meat packing or heavy hauling, gotta have my boots

IDK, the first day I wore the shoes we hiked 3 miles out of a canyon hunting with a 25lb pack, 15x binos, spotter, tripod and rifle. Killed a buck and packed him and all the gear almost 5 miles out and then another 1+ mile back to after hanging the buck. A couple days later I packed out my entire camp close to 80lbs out, including my Scarpa hanging from the pack, turned around and went back up the mountain and grabbed the buck and finished packing him out. So well over 10 miles in a few days with a very heavy pack with no issues.

shwacker

FNG
Footwear is even more a matter of personal taste than caliber selection! I have hiked in lots of terrain in lots of different kinds of footwear. It all works if it is comfortable for you and the trip is short enough. I used to use running shoes a lot, even with a heavy pack and jammed into cracks, but they won't last long.

I like mine light and stiff these days (like many approach shoes or light mountaineering boots) and usually with a stiffer aftermarket insole (hate keens for their soft insoles). But a good pair of something like scarpa kinesis pros are pretty sweet and last a long time.

grainhog

FNG
I have 200 mi of gnarly off trail (steep alpine scree and cliffs, dense lodgepole blowdown, etc.) on a pair of Hoka Speedgoat 5 Mid's from last year, with and without weight. I'm never wearing anything else in moderate weather conditions again, no matter the terrain. 310 g, and enough volume for any aftermarket orthotic.

When it snows more than a few inches, I now wear a Scarpa Ribelle (~700 g). I only ever put my 10" Lowas (950 g+) on now if I'm running a saw or other equipment. The reduction in strain on basically every structure in my body achieved by cutting swing weight from 950 g to 310 g on each foot is just absolutely insane. There's a lotta miles in those Lowas my hips wish they could have back.

*Edited to say Mid's; I do wear the SG 5 low too, but only do trail or mild off trail with them.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I worked with two guys who love light shoes and boots over what would be a normal hiking backpacking design. For 4 years they kept saying my boots are too stiff, my boots are too heavy, my boots are too hot and I should be like them.

Year 5 the youngest of the two rolled his ankle and he has had a limp for the past 3 years.
Year six my other buddy started to have sore ankles, and the last two years his feet hurt every day.

In seven years I‘m wearing the sixth pair of Asolo and my ankles feel just fine. The 7 years before that I probably worn out the same number of the same boot.
The 7 years before that another 6.

You guys wear all the trail runners you want.