Packable puffy pants for Whitetails

This might be an odd thread/question. I'm on the east coast and hunt the appalachians. Some of us pack in a long ways to get to stand sites. We don't have the altitude obviously, but we sure have the steepness. Packing a lot of weight on your back to get to these spots leads to you being a sweaty mess if you're not careful. Then you're faced with sitting in sub freezing temps for 8-10 hours afterwards.

This has me thinking. I know puffy down pants are popular in the west for lightweight, packable warmth. The thing that gets me is none of the options available seem very quiet. Its not an issue in the west if you're using them for glassing, etc, but here, quietness is really paramount for bowhunting whitetails.

Anyone know of any quiet options for down puffy pants? I've looked at Sitka, Kuiu, Stone Glacier and they all seem loud. Thoughts?

Tod osier

WKR
They are loud and not nearly warm enough for me to do an extended sit in. I use them for down long underwear under medium weight bibs (over what I hike in wearing). They work well that way and are lighter (puffy pants plus medium weight bibs) than a pair of heavy bibs and just as warm. Something to consider if you already have them, but you can probably do better choosing the lightest and warmest bibs (can't recommend one, though, but I wear an incinerator as my top layer).

OP
M
They are loud and not nearly warm enough for me to do an extended sit in. I use them for down long underwear under medium weight bibs (over what I hike in wearing). They work well that way and are lighter (puffy pants plus medium weight bibs) than a pair of heavy bibs and just as warm. Something to consider if you already have them, but you can probably do better choosing the lightest and warmest bibs (can't recommend one, though, but I wear an incinerator as my top layer).
Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not, I get by with just heavy merino base layers and Stratus pants all year, even in teens and single digits. But I've noticed in the last two years, my legs are getting cold more easily. I was just thinking a touch of insulation on my legs would be huge. getting old sucks... lol

*zap*

WKR
WM flight pants, I use mine with pcu level 5 softshell pant over it and it is quiet. I think any brand down jct/pant will work better for warmth while sitting if you have a windproof layer over it.

Drenalin

WKR
Kuiu Kenai is damn quiet. Not perfectly silent, but plenty good for any whitetail encounter I've had even up close. You're going to need your other layers under them though (base and whatever pant, even better if the pant has some ability to stop wind). I don't think I've used them any colder than 20, with a 200g merino base and a pair of the cheap Wrangler hiking pants under them. I was good for a few hours that way.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Feathered Friends down pants a lot. They're very warm and very packable. But I'd probably wear bibs over them if I was worried about being really quiet.

OP
M
Kuiu Kenai is damn quiet. Not perfectly silent, but plenty good for any whitetail encounter I've had even up close. You're going to need your other layers under them though (base and whatever pant, even better if the pant has some ability to stop wind). I don't think I've used them any colder than 20, with a 200g merino base and a pair of the cheap Wrangler hiking pants under them. I was good for a few hours that way.
I will give these a look. I know most have mentioned to wear them under whatever pants I wear, but that really isn't the best option for me. That would entail me taking off my pants after hiking in, which would be a PITA. I will absolutely look at the Kuiu's for sure. Thank you.

Drenalin

WKR
I will give these a look. I know most have mentioned to wear them under whatever pants I wear, but that really isn't the best option for me. That would entail me taking off my pants after hiking in, which would be a PITA. I will absolutely look at the Kuiu's for sure. Thank you.
You absolutely don't want to wear these as an outer layer when you're moving. They're too delicate for that. Pack em in and pull them on when you stop.

I have the Under Armour Ridge Reaper down puffy pants. I looked all over and these are soft and quiet. I compress in my pack and put them over everything when I get on stand.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This might be an odd thread/question. I'm on the east coast and hunt the appalachians. Some of us pack in a long ways to get to stand sites. We don't have the altitude obviously, but we sure have the steepness. Packing a lot of weight on your back to get to these spots leads to you being a sweaty mess if you're not careful. Then you're faced with sitting in sub freezing temps for 8-10 hours afterwards.

This has me thinking. I know puffy down pants are popular in the west for lightweight, packable warmth. The thing that gets me is none of the options available seem very quiet. Its not an issue in the west if you're using them for glassing, etc, but here, quietness is really paramount for bowhunting whitetails.

Anyone know of any quiet options for down puffy pants? I've looked at Sitka, Kuiu, Stone Glacier and they all seem loud. Thoughts?

Men's ThermoNeutral Down Pant​

I pack in the First Light sanctuary set. Sure it’s a little heavy, but pack is stil manageable. It’s the only think I have found that is warm enough and quiet enough for bow hunting whitetails.

Bump79

WKR
I wear my UA Down Pant occasionally. I'd look at the Pnuma Vertx pant personally, Kuiu Kenai falls apart when you sneeze at it. Pnuma has a good sale going on and generally can be found 30-50% off. Super reasonable.

EdP

WKR
I have a kuiu kenai hoody and love it for what it is, but the insulation level is not on a par with a down puffy. It is a quiet fabric and I would look hard at the kenai pants if they came in camo, but they don't. Also, as someone else mentioned, the shell fabric used on the kenai is fragile. It is just part of them being light and packable so I always wear a light durable shell over top in the brush.

I have no experience with the UA puffy pants but would be very pleasantly surprised if they are actually quiet enough for a whitetail hunt from a tree stand. It takes very tight weave fabrics to retain down and all that I have ever had in hand were noisy.

BjornF16

WKR
WM flight pants, I use mine with pcu level 5 softshell pant over it and it is quiet. I think any brand down jct/pant will work better for warmth while sitting if you have a windproof layer over it.
Softshell pant over the puffy pants is the best approach imo

Bump79

WKR
I have a kuiu kenai hoody and love it for what it is, but the insulation level is not on a par with a down puffy. It is a quiet fabric and I would look hard at the kenai pants if they came in camo, but they don't. Also, as someone else mentioned, the shell fabric used on the kenai is fragile. It is just part of them being light and packable so I always wear a light durable shell over top in the brush.

I have no experience with the UA puffy pants but would be very pleasantly surprised if they are actually quiet enough for a whitetail hunt from a tree stand. It takes very tight weave fabrics to retain down and all that I have ever had in hand were noisy.
Yeah, I didn't mean to elude to them being quiet. It's alright in a saddle though and I'm only wearing them in the extreme cold.

Jethro

WKR
I carry my Kuiu puffy pants in with me and put them on when I get to my stand under either cabelas microtex or Kuiu guide pants. They have full length zippers. Don’t have to take off boots or pants.

Edit to add I have the down pants not the Kenai. I do have the Kenai jacket and love it.

2rjs

FNG
I'm in the same situation. I use FL Uncompahgre pants and jacket. They work perfect for rifle and muzzleloader but are a little loud for late bow. I used to pack the Sanctuary stuff but the extra bulk with all the extra gear and stand that late season requires was too much. Has anyone tried the Proximity? I was hoping it would be more packable.

DWinVA

WKR
I have an old pair of Sitka Kelvin pants I pack in during very cold hunts. Here in VA those are almost always rifle or late MZ. I use them in my saddle and they aren’t overly loud.

God Bless.