Pack weight

swat8888

WKR
I'm at 29lbs for my upcoming 10 day AK sheep hunt. I am not including the binos on my neck or trekking poles I my hands. If I were solo I'd have to add some weight for GPS and SATPHONE...otherwise I have all I need. I only carry 1lb of food per day, which is plenty for me, just not that hungry up there, frequently can't eat my entire mountain house dinner. I also lug around an inflatable mattress/pillow that is a pound....the sleep on it vs. mat is worth the weight...till it pops. everything else I'd consider essential. This year I will probably drop by big drop point knife and just bring lots of blades for my havalon.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a heavier pad to be more comfortable, older bones don't do too well with a little foamy, at least mine don't. I have a fast metabolism...I need food! A pound a day? What is that in terms of actual food? Would someone mind listing what they nash in 24h? I probably eat half a pound of self-made trail mix just in between meals. Two of those Quaker quick oats and some more trial mix for breakfast. Probably two pittah bread, some cheese and salami for lunch, a mountain house for dinner, a snickers...

Frans

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
An example of my daily food: 2 instant oatmeal packs and instant coffee for breakfast, a pop tart while glassing, top ramen for lunch, power bar snack, and either a mtn house meal or a homemade FBC of pasta of somekind, I usually break off a small piece of dark chocolate for desert.. That is about the most I ever eat in one day at altitude...

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Idaho.jpgIdaho 2009.jpg

Idaho...back when I had no clue. Kifaru Longhunter Guide. 103# I was set for 16 days in the backcountry. That pack was put on just before 7 am that morning. I took it off at 8 pm that night, just in time to set up my tent in the dark....Quit laughing a$$holes.....lol

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Want another laugh....All that gear for 16 days......and I killed that bull the first night.

Mike P

FNG
I just got new batteries for my scale so I will do a breakdown this weekend, but on the last trip I weighed it on for goats I was 39 lbs totally self sufficient for 7 days (all food, water etc) and then my bow, so call that 6 lbs...so right around 45 lbs all in. First goat hunt in the same area I was right around 60 lbs all in so I dropped a fair bit off my original pack list. Lighter pack, tent, and less cloths and other nick knacks.

I use pretty light gear and have taken a few years to get my pack weight down there. I found for me the biggest difference was cloths...always tended to take to many cloths and never use them. I also have my food down to a science now as well. Hoping to get my weight down a few more pounds this year with a lighter tripod and pack and will be packing my longbow so that will shave 4 lbs off my weapon weight :)

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:

G Posik

WKR
Right now my pack weight all in is 42#s. I might be shaving a about 1.5 lbs with some misc things. I will be carrying longbow so that helps but shoot 700 gr arrows and take 6 - 8 arrows with me. These are carried in a quiver on my back pack so that weight is counted in the pack weight. I have been working on some dehydrated meals and about in line with the meals on this thread and the one Becca started.

Glenn

Although the brand names are different, my list is generally very similar to Lukes. If I was carrying everything for a 5 day hunt it would look something like this:

Pack/Shelter/Sleep System

Barneys Pinnacle Pack (modified) - 117 oz
Foam Sleeping Pad - 8 oz
Sleeping Bag (MH Ultralamina) – 45 oz
REI Quarterdome – 80 oz

Optics

Slik Mini II tripod– 27 oz
Zeiss 85mm 20-60X w cover – 66 oz
Minox 8x43 HG w strap -26 oz
Bushnell 1200 ARC – 7 oz
Digital Camera – 7 oz

Hunting Related Items

Tikka 30-06 w/ scope – 110 oz
12 Rounds of ammo - 12 oz
Havlon Knife w/extra blades – 3 oz
Game Bags and garbage bag – 8 oz

Cooking/Water

Crux Lite Stove – 3 oz
8 oz fuel canister – 12 oz
Ti Pot - 4 oz
3 Liter H20 Bladder – 5 oz
Platpus water bottle – 2 oz
Utensil – 1 oz
3 Liters of water – 106 oz

Misc Items

Garmin 62s – 7 oz
Headlamp – 3 oz
First Aid/Survival/Repair Kit - 16 oz
Spruce Staff – 12 oz
Baby wipes - 2 oz
Iridium Sat Phone - 10 oz

Clothing/Raingear

Sitka SF Lite Pants - 15 oz
Sitka Dewpoint Jacket - 14 oz
MH Compressor Jacket – 15 oz
Liner gloves – 2 oz
Fleece Hat – 2 oz
Socks (2 pr) – 7 oz
Heavy merino wool undershirt – 11 oz
Underwear – 2 oz
Long underwear – 6 oz

Food

1.5 pounds of food per day for 5 days = 120 oz

Total = 55.8 lbs

I just realized my clothing didn't make the cut/past from my list. Now edited to include those items. I wondered how I ended up at the same weight as Luke when most of my stuff is heavier.... What I want to know is how and where he gets the super cool extra lite water?

In real life, when hunting with a partner I pass off the tent, sat phone, GPS and camera and then add several more days worth of food, which brings me to right at 50 ready to roll. When solo, I will throw out even more stuff to lighten the load.

Bringing it back to the original question of "base weight" w/o weapon, food, or water I'm going to run around 33-34 lbs. With a partner, that base weight would drop to 27-28 lbs.

Yk

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
YK, I agree about the clothing..When I can afford it I plan on getting a Kuiu Spindrift with it I believe I can eliminate a 24oz wool shirt and a 17oz vest that I usually take..That will save me 28oz, I'm just hoping I will be warm enough with the spindrift and thermal top for early morning glassing...

Maybe Luke knows something we don't about dehydrating water? lol...

Les, Holy crap! I thought I used to pack way too much stuff lol...

This is becoming a good thread, thanks to all for contributing... There are a few things that I don't really NEED but always come along anyway.. I always take 2 camera's.. A point and shoot that weighs 8oz and a bigger one that weighs 24oz.. I'm kinda of a novice photographer so I like to be able to take some pics when the opportunity comes... I also pack 11oz worth of fishing poles and lures if I'm headed towards high country lakes.. And I always pack a few extra batteries for my camera's 8oz...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA super light water. I guess I didn't have a full 3 liters when I weighed it rather than just google how much 3 liters of water weighs like a smart guy would, and we all no that isn't the case obviously. Obviously the markings on the bladder are not that precise I guess.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hahahaha..... how did you fit a popup camper into a pack :)

No kidding right?

I excel EVERYTHING I take. I'll have to pull up the sheet from that year. I do remember a 24oz jar of Peanut Butter. 3 FULL liters of water....and oh my gosh, clothes beyond belief...

HAHA super light water. I guess I didn't have a full 3 liters when I weighed it rather than just google how much 3 liters of water weighs like a smart guy would, and we all no that isn't the case obviously. Obviously the markings on the bladder are not that precise I guess.

Those markings are fluid oz... very close, but not exactly an oz on your scale. Anyhow, we are splitting finer and finer hairs here. :)

I think I tend to bring more survival items/back up items than you do also. Always have a little paracord, map, compass, extra batteries, mini tube of fabric glue, firestarter, etc, etc in a waterproof sack. Only weighs about 8 oz, but has made life more bearable many times.

Yk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW for this year I am at 62# for 6 days. EVERYTHING included, right down to my chapstick in my pocket. I have everything in revolving spreadsheets weighed to the gram and converted to the nearest .01 oz. If anyone wants a copy to compare, send me an email.

Les

[email protected]

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a misc bag of those goodies as well. Forgot to include that as well. My misc bag is closer to a pound as it has my headlamp, paracord, esbit fuel cells, lighter, laminated map of the area, all double ziplocked.

I have a misc bag of those goodies as well. Forgot to include that as well. My misc bag is closer to a pound as it has my headlamp, paracord, esbit fuel cells, lighter, laminated map of the area, all double ziplocked.

Considering we come from similar backgrounds and hunt the same units and ranges, I guess it's no surprise that our packs contain similar stuff.

Yk