Pack weight

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I can get by with a 1lb of food a day for shorter trips, but for extended trips (a week or longer) I find I eventually get ran down if I try to skimp that much. I figure like Rosin does in at 1.5 lbs per day per person.

My weapon with 12 rounds of ammo comes in at 6 pounds. And I always put 3 liters of water in my pack to start most long hikes. I really don't like having to stop for water too much when trying to get into camp. After I get back to camp I'll opt to carry less as I spike out or day hunt out from there and opt to stop by streams more often as i slowdown more when I am actually hunting vs. just getting out there so I don't mind the stops as much.

I find it silly people don't count things like their rifles, bows, arrow, ammo, knives, gamebags, binos, tripod, spotter, food, and water. If it comes along on a hunt it counts towards the total weight. The "base weight" thing never really makes sense to me. The total pack weight when you strap it on your back when you head out is what counts.

dotman

WKR
I thought this was pack weight not total weight excluding your naked body, lol. I tend to hunt my way to camp, why weigh everything as if you have it in your pack? I have a total weight also but they are not included in the pack weight, this is why I think most don't add items like weapon, it is in my hands 80% of the time, what I consider to be my base pack weigh are the items I need it to carry not the items that are not in it.

Maybe the thread should read total gear weight minus your body weight :)

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
My total gear weight, everything I take with me into the woods comes in at 62.06lbs for a 10 day stint, now if the trip is longer or shorter only thing that will change is food from aug-oct, nov-feb there will be some gear change out also.

Last edited:

Rizzy

WKR
My pack weight got much lighter when I started using Kifaru and Kuiu products. Also taking a pen and paper to write down the stuff I need, stuff I don't need, and stuff I use really streamlined my pack load.

I don't take a rifle while scouting so really I have a hunting pack weight and a scouting pack weight. If my scouting is successful and I'm hunting timber I can get away with leaving the spotter and tripod in the truck, essentially trading it for the gun. In this case there is a significant weight savings. I use to always carry my gun also and not count it, since I got the gun bearer the gun is now on my hips, so now I have to.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Only reason why I asked for your weights without weapon, food and water is that so and so may have a really cut down ultralight setup yet not part with his/her 11 lb long range cannon... But say Luke for example may have a heavier pack yet has his rifle and bullets at 6 lbs....(which is awesome BTW..I'm assuming a Kimber on a diet?) It's hard to compare ones pack weight to another to see where one could improve when each others rifles vary by 5 lbs and food may vary by as much as 5lbs on a 5 day trip...

I was just looking for ideas of gear y'all use and how I can lighten my pack.. A lot of good input so far..

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Bucksnort,

That was kind of my point in including the weapon weight as well. It is gear just the same as any other piece of gear we bring. We have rifles weighing in between 5.5 to 10 pounds just like people use tents that weigh between 2 pounds to 7 pounds. No different. We can all learn to save weight in gear including weapon and food is my point. Just like I haul along a 4+ pound spotter and 2 pound tripod and others don't even take along a spotter/tripod.

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought this was pack weight not total weight excluding your naked body, lol. I tend to hunt my way to camp, why weigh everything as if you have it in your pack? I have a total weight also but they are not included in the pack weight, this is why I think most don't add items like weapon, it is in my hands 80% of the time, what I consider to be my base pack weigh are the items I need it to carry not the items that are not in it.

Maybe the thread should read total gear weight minus your body weight :)

Because IMO it is any additional weight that you would not normally be carrying during every day life. The only things I do NOT count towards my packweight are my boots, clothes (on my body), sunglasses, watch, and do rag. Binos are worn, but counted. Trekking poles are used but counted, etc. If it isn't normal every day use stuff. It gets counted in my packweight.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Because IMO it is any additional weight that you would not normally be carrying during every day life. The only things I do NOT count towards my packweight are my boots, clothes (on my body), sunglasses, watch, and do rag. Binos are worn, but counted. Trekking poles are used but counted, etc. If it isn't normal every day use stuff. It gets counted in my packweight.

Thats kinda how I roll. Same thing I use trekking poles in my hands but they still count towards pack weight. My pants, socks, boots, shirt I wear to start out don't count, but gaiters, rain gear and other stuff I might start the hike with anyways still count.

dotman

WKR
Thats kinda how I roll. Same thing I use trekking poles in my hands but they still count towards pack weight. My pants, socks, boots, shirt I wear to start out don't count, but gaiters, rain gear and other stuff I might start the hike with anyways still count.

I see your point and it makes sense, it just goes to show how hard it is to compare weights without just comparing total gear weight that will be in the complete system used. It all hangs off or is held up by the body at some point.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
This is all interesting. I think to really get what you seem to be asking for you would need each of our lists with the weight of each piece.

I use a badlands 4500 that is about 7 pounds. If I got a KU I could drop 4 pounds just with the pack. Some guys go in with a light little 3500 cu in pack that wont carry out camp and meat together. Some go in with a 6500 that would carry enough for an expedition.

My rifle is a Montana and 8 pounds all up. My bipods 1#. I can take or leave it.

Sleeping bags have a big variance as do sleeping pads. I use a 2# 40 degree bag with liner and bivey for a bit over 3#. My pro light is significantly more than my neoair.

I use the MD50 spotter and slik sprint tripod. This is significantly lighter than the quality spotters from the big 3. But it's much less of a spotter.

I use a jetboil ti and only boil water for my food. Some folks go in set up to simmer meals.

I guess what I'm saying is; base pack weight means little without knowing what's included.

Cutting ounces is expensive.

That's the same way I count things. If I have to carry it, I figure it is slowing me down and that includes binos, etc. And I agree with several people when they say there is way too many variables to easily compare pack weights. For instance, I am currently carrying 6 lbs worth of spotter and tripod, which is far more than most people need or want. I also use a relatively heavy pack so I have the ability to pack out a whole sheep or half a caribou. Not everyone needs that either.

My typical backpack hunt is for Alaska sheep or caribou. When I do that, I typically shoot for 50 lbs "all in" on a week long trips with a partner, including gear, food, and weapon. Solo would be a couple pounds more, but still in that range. Does that have any relation to what a mule deer hunter in Wyoming will need? Maybe, maybe not...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree the best way to see ways/places to possibly cut weight are to see what others are using to accomplish the same task for a given item but with a lighter item OR what they items they are able to use for multiple purposes or just get away without using all together.

Given the above parameters for time frame and climate this is what my pack list would shape up at. Just over 50 pounds total. Of course if I took out the 3 liters of water, food, and rifle I'd be right at 30 pounds. Feel free to see where I can cut weight if needed.

Pack/Shelter/Sleep System

Kifaru Timberline w/pockets and rifle carrier 98.00
Z-Lite Seat 2.00
NeoAir Sleeping pad short 9.00
Western Mountaineering Alder 31.00
TI Goat Ptarmigan Bivy 6.00
GoLite Shangri La 3 w/stakes 30.00
Sea to Summit Dry Bag 6.00

Optics

Velbon Ultra Maxi-M with Manfrotto Ballhead 35.00
Zeiss 85mm 20-75X eyepiece 67.00
Zeiss 10X32 Victory 20.00
Leica CRF 1200 Rangefinder 7.00
Digital Camera 7.00

Hunting Related Items

Kimber Montana .308 w/scope 89.00
12 Rounds of ammo 9.60
Havlon Knife w/extra blades 3.00
Gerber Bone Saw 8.00
Game Bags and Trash Compactor Bag 10.00

Cooking/Water

Jetboilette 5.00
SOTO stove 3.00
110 gram fuel 7.00
3 Liter H20 Bladder 5.00
Sawyer Inline Filter 3.00
Utinsel 1.00
3 Liters of water 99.00

Misc Items

Garmin eTrex 20 5.00
Leatherman Skeletool 5.00
Black Diamond Icon Headlamp 7.00
First Aid Kit 10.00
Trekking Poles 18.00
#1 Important Item=TP!! 2.00

Clothing/Raingear

Kuiu Chugach Pants 13.00
Kuiu Chugach Jacket 17.00
Barney's Supercub Jacket 19.00
Chilly Grip Gloves 3.00
Mountain Hardwear Windproof Fleece Hat 2.50
Pair of socks/underwear/baselayer bottom 24.00

Food

1.5 pounds of food per day for 5 days 120

Total: 50.4 pounds

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Well... I must be doing something wrong, and I don't mean that sarcastic.
Let's break this down:

Tent and small tarp: 2.5 lbs
Sleeping bag: 5 lbs (looking for a smaller/lighter one)
Downmat 7 pump: 2 lbs (little less actually)
Kifaru Timberline: 5 lbs 9 oz
Rifle scoped loaded: 7 lbs
Water for the day: 5 lbs
So that makes roughly 32 lbs there already.

So apparently I manage to add another 30 lbs in food, cooking gear, rain gear, extra sweater,
something to sleep in, extra socks, emergency/first aid stuff, spotting scope and tripod, binoculars, spare knife, some rope, SPOT, compass,
fire starter, toothbrush, game bags...

I think I will go through all my crap with another very critical look.

Frans

Lawnboi

WKR
Well... I must be doing something wrong, and I don't mean that sarcastic.
Let's break this down:

Tent and small tarp: 2.5 lbs
Sleeping bag: 5 lbs (looking for a smaller/lighter one)
Downmat 7 pump: 2 lbs (little less actually)
Kifaru Timberline: 5 lbs 9 oz
Rifle scoped loaded: 7 lbs
Water for the day: 5 lbs
So that makes roughly 32 lbs there already.

So apparently I manage to add another 30 lbs in food, cooking gear, rain gear, extra sweater,
something to sleep in, extra socks, emergency/first aid stuff, spotting scope and tripod, binoculars, spare knife, some rope, SPOT, compass,
fire starter, toothbrush, game bags...

I think I will go through all my crap with another very critical look.

Frans

5lb bag, and 2lb mat are going to kill you.

Although the brand names are different, my list is generally very similar to Lukes. If I was carrying everything for a 5 day hunt it would look something like this:

Barneys Pinnacle Pack (modified) - 117 oz
Foam Sleeping Pad - 8 oz
Sleeping Bag (MH Ultralamina) – 45 oz
REI Quarterdome – 80 oz

Optics

Slik Mini II tripod– 27 oz
Zeiss 85mm 20-60X w cover – 66 oz
Minox 8x43 HG w strap -26 oz
Bushnell 1200 ARC – 7 oz
Digital Camera – 7 oz

Hunting Related Items

Tikka 30-06 w/ scope – 110 oz
12 Rounds of ammo - 12 oz
Havlon Knife w/extra blades – 3 oz
Game Bags and garbage bag – 8 oz

Cooking/Water

Crux Lite Stove – 3 oz
8 oz fuel canister – 12 oz
Ti Pot - 4 oz
3 Liter H20 Bladder – 5 oz
Platpus water bottle – 2 oz
Utensil – 1 oz
3 Liters of water – 106 oz

Misc Items

Garmin 62s – 7 oz
Headlamp – 3 oz
First Aid/Survival/Repair Kit - 16 oz
Spruce Staff – 12 oz
Baby wipes - 2 oz
Iridium Sat Phone - 10 oz

Clothing/Raingear

Sitka SF Lite Pants - 15 oz
Sitka Dewpoint Jacket - 14 oz
MH Compressor Jacket – 15 oz
Liner gloves – 2 oz
Fleece Hat – 2 oz
Socks (2 pr) – 7 oz
Heavy merino wool undershirt – 11 oz
Underwear – 2 oz
Long underwear – 6 oz

Food

1.5 pounds of food per day for 5 days = 120 oz

Total = 55.8 lbs

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Although the brand names are different, my list is generally very similar to Lukes. If I was carrying everything for a 5 day hunt it would look something like this:

Barneys Pinnacle Pack (modified) - 117 oz
Foam Sleeping Pad - 8 oz
Sleeping Bag (MH Ultralamina) – 45 oz
REI Quarterdome – 80 oz

Optics

Slik Mini II tripod– 27 oz
Zeiss 85mm 20-60X w cover – 66 oz
Minox 8x43 HG w strap -26 oz
Bushnell 1200 ARC – 7 oz
Digital Camera – 7 oz

Hunting Related Items

Tikka 30-06 w/ scope – 110 oz
12 Rounds of ammo - 12 oz
Havlon Knife w/extra blades – 3 oz
Game Bags and garbage bag – 8 oz

Cooking/Water

Crux Lite Stove – 3 oz
8 oz fuel canister – 12 oz
Ti Pot - 4 oz
3 Liter H20 Bladder – 5 oz
Platpus water bottle – 2 oz
Utensil – 1 oz
3 Liters of water – 106 oz

Misc Items

Garmin 62s – 7 oz
Headlamp – 3 oz
First Aid/Survival/Repair Kit - 16 oz
Spruce Staff – 12 oz
Baby wipes - 2 oz
Iridium Sat Phone - 10 oz

Food

1.5 pounds of food per day for 5 days = 120 oz

Total = 51.1 lbs

I need to get me one of those fancy pants new sat phones YK!!! I really like the looks of the 9575.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Luke and Yellowknife, Thanks for taking the time to post each item and weight, this helps me compare my stuff... One thing is for sure, I'm getting better at cutting weight the more trips I go... I remember my first backpack hunt trip into the high country (2002), I think I was over 80lbs of gear for 5 days...lol... I'll see if I can find a pic of that trip...

My brother standing next to my pack, I think I even packed the kitchen sink on that trip..lol

Attachments

• P9280975.jpg
    P9280975.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 71

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Your pack looks to be 2 packs, and you brought a rifle case!!! WOW, your a tuff son of a gun. I used to do that kind of stuff back in the 90's when I started. Cotton clothes, heavy tents with fiberglass poles, way too much gear. Its a learning process. But boy is it fun.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Holy Moses Bucksnort that is a pack and a half! How far did you pack that Baby?