Pack weight: Does anyone actually care?

Do you bother weighing your kit/going ultralight?

• Total voters
I voted yes but not due to really cutting weight from the typical reasons. I like to force myself to go light because it forces me to think. I have to think about my purchases and what goes into my pack. I am
Trying to go simple. Simple is more. I try to just look at the basics and see if I “need” to cut weight or is what I have working just fine. HI have a one man tent, I would love a new one that is a pound lighter. Do I need it for the week or so I get to hunt in it. If it’s hard to justify, I don’t buy something new to cut a few ounces or a pound. For full disclosure, I am already really light because of this mentality.

Sadler

WKR
I try to keep my pack as light as possible so I can talk myself into bringing my BTX95. Love that thing but it’s an anchor.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I don't weigh my pack or gear, but am conscious of what gear I buy. There are some items that get a "weight waver" such as scope, chow and safety gear.

I don’t care much, I think the right pack negates fatigue more than the lightest pack/gear with a pack that doesn’t fit well.

Everything is some sort of compromise, so we all have to decide what makes the most sense.

Empty pack weight doesn’t matter even a little to me, but I’m of course stoked if my pack that fits me best is also lightweight, but weight itself is not really even a criteria anymore… I feel like my current setup is best case scenario since it is lightweight on top of fitting me better than any I’ve tried, but that’s icing on the cake

The pack itself is the biggest factor for fatigue, the lightest pack and gear means nothing if it doesn’t carry weight well

Last year was my first year hunting in the mountains. I weighed my pack just out of curiosity but didn't do much to reduce the weight. After a few hunts with that kit, I am going to slowly start reducing weight where I can. Maybe in a few years I can claim to be ultralight.

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm somewhere in the middle. Not crazy weight conscious, but I'm not packing a lantern for hanging up around camp at night like pops did when I was a kid. I don't scrimp on food or sleeping comfort, but don't pack excessively either. I do weight my pack and items, more for my own curiosity than anything, and include weight in my decision making when it comes to new gear, but balance it with usability.

Debating if it's worth the extra pound to pickup a helinox for my spring bear trip now haha, leaning towards no just due to cost and lack of flat ground I'm expecting.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I weigh everything but if I need it, I need it. Over the years I’ve been reducing unnecessary gear and trading heavier gear for lighter gear. I’m to the point now I’m not concerned with weight because I take exactly what I need and won’t leave the Jeep without it regardless of what the pack weight is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcrossett

FNG
I think to a certain degree their is a weight to trip length ratio with a lighter pack meaning you can extend the trip a little longer as it is just less stress on the body physically and mentally. That being said I am not an ounce/gram weenie and while slowly upgrading my older gear to lighter reliable alternatives I am also not cutting my tooth brush in half to save 1/2 an ounce.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t care much, I think the right pack negates fatigue more than the lightest pack/gear with a pack that doesn’t fit well.

Everything is some sort of compromise, so we all have to decide what makes the most sense.

Empty pack weight doesn’t matter even a little to me, but I’m of course stoked if my pack that fits me best is also lightweight, but weight itself is not really even a criteria anymore… I feel like my current setup is best case scenario since it is lightweight on top of fitting me better than any I’ve tried, but that’s icing on the cake

The pack itself is the biggest factor for fatigue, the lightest pack and gear means nothing if it doesn’t carry weight well
I took pack weight to refer to everything one has in the pack as well.

I added two pounds to the bare pack going from an integrated SO to my newest one. I will probably continue to use both. Time and which one I keep reaching for will decide. The lighter pack can haul the weight well enough, but it has a few things I don't like, nothing that really matters, but it may add up to enough.

I think to a certain degree their is a weight to trip length ratio with a lighter pack meaning you can extend the trip a little longer as it is just less stress on the body physically and mentally. That being said I am not an ounce/gram weenie and while slowly upgrading my older gear to lighter reliable alternatives I am also not cutting my tooth brush in half to save 1/2 an ounce.
I'm a gram weenie. I cut my toothbrush, trim tags and logos off, cut and modify gear, Etc.

My scope is on the heavy side, my sleeping pad is also on the heavy side, I still use a nalgene, I recently added a few ounces to move to a more comfortable quilt, I bring an inflatable pillow, I bring a sit pad, I use a full sized inReach and no longer bring the mini. Some things get a weight waver, my toothbrush did not qualify. Excluding food and water, my FSO (From Skin Out) weight comes in at 38 to 46 pounds for a hunt. That includes the weight of my tags.

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
a full sized inReach and no longer bring the mini.
Do you get better reception with the full? any other reasons for bringing the full?

I'm not thrilled with the time it takes the mini to send messages, and my buddy even sent his back cause he couldn't get the messages thru in a reasonable time.

Maverick1

WKR
I don't really care what your backpack weighs. I care what MY backpack weighs, since it's on my back pretty much every minute of the day. Things improved in that regard when I bought a food scale and started weighing the items in my pack, reviewing their usefulness, ditching things that didn't get used very much, and looking for lighter alternatives.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you get better reception with the full? any other reasons for bringing the full?

I'm not thrilled with the time it takes the mini to send messages, and my buddy even sent his back cause he couldn't get the messages thru in a reasonable time.
The receiver and antenna are the same. The mini, to conserve battery, checks for messages once an hour, if you send a message it will check 10 minutes after, then revert back to once an hour. Of course you can manually force a check. The Mini also only sends tracking points once an hour, if you set it to send every ten minutes all 6 points for the hour will show up at the same time in Mapshare.

The Explorer defaults to checking every 10 minutes, and you can change that interval if you like. It will send a tracking point at the interval you select. Its battery lasts longer. It also can be used for navigation, it does not excel at it, but it does work. It is also a easier to standalone send messages, but both are less than fun for that.

Reactions: CMF

Citizen

FNG
We all have necessities if you wanted to save weight by not having underwear and socks that’s not exactly a win. Can you try something that’s saving you a lot of weight and it be even better? The answer is yes, but that does not mean you can’t give up reliability and durability.