Overthinking my 7PRC ELDX for mulies...

Biggern'yurs

Lil-Rokslider
So the rifle I've been prepping and practicing with all year just crapped the bed a week and a half before my trip. It was a nice 7 lb suppresed 6.5 creedmoor. Dammit.

Alright so the spot we hunt is a nice little buck factory but it's a bear to get into. It's up off a river, 2,200' of vertical in about 1.5 miles. So I was shooting for light weight everything.

My other two rifles are a custom built 9.5 lb, 7 PRC suppressed shooting 175 ELDX at 2,905 and an 8lb, .270 shooting 136 Terminal Accent around 2,920. Both are 3/4" guns.

I'd like to take my new hotness 7 PRC up that mountain but I'm concerned about what a 175 ELDX will do to a mid size mule deer. Also the weight.

Deer in this area usually top out at midsize four points and shots can be 50 to 400 yards.

Am I overthinking the 7PRC? What say you?

dtrkyman

WKR
Shoot em in the ribs and no worries.

Had a client shoot one with a 7 prc at 100 yds, made a mess, but it was all in the body cavity with the shot placement so no big deal other than the field dressing mess.

OP
Biggern'yurs

Biggern'yurs

Lil-Rokslider
What velocity are you getting with the 160s?
I actually don't know. Haven't shot them since break in. I would think probably close to the same 2,900 mark knowing Hornady. The 175ELDMs are federals. The Hornady loads of same weight all shot about 100fps slower if I remember right. It's a 21" barrel.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
7 PRC would be fine, wouldn’t be worried about the eldx. It’ll put a hurt on certainly, but nothing insane. Stay behind the shoulder if you can obviously.

Legend

WKR
So the rifle I've been prepping and practicing with all year just crapped the bed a week and a half before my trip. It was a nice 7 lb suppresed 6.5 creedmoor. Dammit.

Alright so the spot we hunt is a nice little buck factory but it's a bear to get into. It's up off a river, 2,200' of vertical in about 1.5 miles. So I was shooting for light weight everything.

My other two rifles are a custom built 9.5 lb, 7 PRC suppressed shooting 175 ELDX at 2,905 and an 8lb, .270 shooting 136 Terminal Accent around 2,920. Both are 3/4" guns.

I'd like to take my new hotness 7 PRC up that mountain but I'm concerned about what a 175 ELDX will do to a mid size mule deer. Also the weight.

Deer in this area usually top out at midsize four points and shots can be 50 to 400 yards.

Am I overthinking the 7PRC? What say you?
Yes, you are overthinking.

SloppyJ

WKR
It's too late to be messing around with new loads.

If you're really worried about it, the terminal ascent load is more what you're looking for. You definitely are overthinking it. Go for a double lung and stay off the shoulder and you're good.

From what you've said, I hope you enjoy the 7prc on this hunt. 🤣

What happened to your other gun?

OP
Biggern'yurs

Biggern'yurs

Lil-Rokslider
It's too late to be messing around with new loads.

If you're really worried about it, the terminal ascent load is more what you're looking for. You definitely are overthinking it. Go for a double lung and stay off the shoulder and you're good.

From what you've said, I hope you enjoy the 7prc on this hunt. 🤣

What happened to your other gun?
Kimber Montana Stock cracked. I put in another thread a couple days ago. Super annoying

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t enjoy mountain hunting with a 9-1/2 lb gun - it would remind me all day every day how much less fun it is. :)

On the plus side, you’ll appreciate the Kimber a lot more once it’s fixed.

huntnful

WKR
I wouldn’t think about it for one second longer. Just take the 7 PRC. A pound is negligible on that short of a hike and the bullet is excellent.

If you want all the meat, shoot it in the ribs 3-6” behind the shoulder.

Harvey_NW

WKR
My mountain rifle weighs 9lbs 15oz equipped. I've always said if 2lbs is what makes or breaks my hunt, I wasn't prepared for it anyways. Take the 7 PRC and kill a big buck deadern'shit.